UCONN-Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UCONN-Marquette Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nika had an excellent game. She is not the big scorer many have been harping for her to be. She does a lot of the grunt work. 10 rebounds, 7 assists and 1 turnover today. Plus her usual defense and energy.
... and she sets a great example for the freshmen. That may be more important than one would ordinarily think.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I thought the refs had a great game. There was plenty of non-foul contact where I've been conditioned for a whistle and it didn't come. And that Ashlynn Shade is a difference-maker to me. When she's on the floor, that's one less thing to worry about.
Ash played more minutes than anyone cept nika. THAT sez something!

Reaction Score
It's stuff like this that makes the Boneyard great.

I'm making kalua pork for supper tonight. I was just thinking that it would be great if UConn played the Hawaii Rainbow Wahine, and I could make kalua pork for that game. I don't think doing a whole pig (kalua pig) would work where I live.
Love to join you but heading home to Honolulu in the AM !

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
One last thing... 3:56 left in the 4th, Aaliyah's dime to Aubrey cutting to the rim. Check out Ash's screen job on Aubrey's defender. I didn't see or hear anyone mention it... VERY non-frosh work. She's so advanced for her experience level.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
What a win for the Huskies today!
They were reminding me of some the terrific Husky teams of the not to distant past.

Some great, AGGRESSIVE D! Defense leads to offense, yes?

Nice to see Nika back to her old self!
I genuinely thought she was just having a case of the "yips" with all the turnovers. Seems she has gotten through it.

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
A few misc. thoughts:

-Have never seen a premier offensive player play such intense defense as Paige. Never thought I would say this, but she should be under consideration for a defensive award.
-Our frosh are so mature. Both KK and Shade gave what the game gave them, both in double figures without pressing their offense. Few mistakes made and tremendous intensity and defense.
-As times, it seemed like UConn was playing at a fast forward speed. Never have seen this level of speed and intensive before, but have never seen a team play 4 fast, quick, and strong guards at one time.
-Did anyone every think UConn would have 4 (5-6 if you include Q or Griffin) high level guards they could play interchangeably? Wish we had more bigs but would not want to play against these Huskie guards if I was a competitor.
-Today's game was a recruiting video. If you are a basketball player and want to see how much fun and accomplishments a true, well coached team can have, watch this game.

Reaction Score
So, so proud of our young ladies tonight. Down but definitely not out. Some of the best defense I've seen in quite a while with no letup. I think this was Uconn basketball at its best. Passing was outstanding, teamwork was ten out of ten. I can't say for sure what the future holds but if today's game was any indication the remaining teams on our schedule will be doing a little extra scouting.

Reaction Score
Watched the replay again (thank you @MJL243) and was struck by how intense KK is. She runs so fast, with such ferocity. We have a tough defense now. [Ice and Qadence are not quite fully in sync with it yet, but they'll get there.] KK's shots don't always fall, but that's coming along nicely.

I was musing the other day about the number of quick little guards who entered D1 this year -- KK, Hidalgo, Fulwiley, Jada Williams, etc. -- and wondering where KK stands in that crew. After today, I'd have to say very near the top. Hidalgo seems a bit more advanced offensively, and she plays an opportunistic defense and gets steals. But KK's defensive intensity is comparable and her offense will be soon too. Fulwiley isn't the defender either of these two are, and I'm not sure Williams is either.

Reaction Score
That one was super tough, but the backhand from Paige was also kinda ridiculous. Nice to have a game with multiple nominees.
Backhand from Paige?Maybe I missed it. Do you mean the pass overhead to Ice under basket?

Reaction Score
I’ve seen my fair share of UConn games and this one is right up there in the top 15.

Special effort by everyone!

It wasn’t the Superwoman, Batman and Robin, or even Fantastic Four show - It was the Elite Eight Member Avengers Team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01