Men - UConn @ Long Beach State Dirtbags (3/16/22 @ 9p EDT on ESPN+/MIXLR) | The Boneyard

Men UConn @ Long Beach State Dirtbags (3/16/22 @ 9p EDT on ESPN+/MIXLR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So Alejandro or Sullivan tonight? And is the starter capped at 2 or 3 innings — a bullpen game — or do they get a chance to do what Cooke did last night.

Reaction Score
So Alejandro or Sullivan tonight? And is the starter capped at 2 or 3 innings — a bullpen game — or do they get a chance to do what Cooke did last night.

Cooke had been stretched out as a potential starter in preseason, but going into the 8th inning last night was absolutely amazing considering it was his first start, even with the talent he has shown. I would not expect lightning to strike twice on this California trip.

Alejandro was stretched out in the preseason as a potential starter, do not recall if Sullivan was. Guessing whoever gets the start tonight will likely go only a few innings and will be the start of a staff night for UConn.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I think Sullivan but limited. We have 2 days off before our next game, so it wouldn't deplete the bullpen for the weekend series if it is a bullpen game. If Cooke is our midweek starter, we will need someone to fill his void in the bullpen. I think Penders is looking at Afthim for that role.

Reaction Score
Based on his JUCO numbers before he lost last season to surgery, I'm still hoping that as the season goes on Devon Kirby takes a key role in the bullpen.

Given our schedule and last night, it's hard to imagine Cooke not being our 4th starter until the schedule no longer requires one. We play in San Diego Monday, take a red eye back landing Tuesday morning and play a decent Bryant team on Wednesday. I hope someone has the good sense to put Cooke on a daytime flight Sunday or Monday, so if the whole team is off kilter at least our starter doesn't lose a night's sleep.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Based on his JUCO numbers before he lost last season to surgery, I'm still hoping that as the season goes on Devon Kirby takes a key role in the bullpen.

Given our schedule and last night, it's hard to imagine Cooke not being our 4th starter until the schedule no longer requires one. We play in San Diego Monday, take a red eye back landing Tuesday morning and play a decent Bryant team on Wednesday. I hope someone has the good sense to put Cooke on a daytime flight Sunday or Monday, so if the whole team is off kilter at least our starter doesn't lose a night's sleep.
Kirby and if they could get Chudoba figured out would go a long way to help us come up with a deep bullpen to make up for moving Cooke to the mid-week starter role. By the way, he might have the toughest starts other than Austin P on Friday nights due to the opponents.

Reaction Score
Kirby and if they could get Chudoba figured out would go a long way to help us come up with a deep bullpen to make up for moving Cooke to the mid-week starter role. By the way, he might have the toughest starts other than Austin P on Friday nights due to the opponents.
I'm not particularly worried about Cooke as a starter leaving the bullpen thin, as with the innings per start we're getting out of our four starters, we won't need the bullpen to be as deep as it has been in prior years.

Reaction Score

I get the idea that there are a bunch of UConn pitchers on this staff who haven't seen much game time on the mound could potentially provide nice contributions. In addition to Kirby and Chudoba mentioned above, I would throw in Brendan O'Donnell. He did very well in summer ball last year, good enough that he got the attention of the Cape Cod League, and that's serious stuff. I'm sure he will get additional chances in upcoming games, we'll just have see if he can take advantage of them.

Reaction Score

The only week remaining in the regular season for UConn where there are no midweek games is the first week in May when UConn has finals. I would think that as long as UConn doesn't have much trouble in Big East weekend games, there would be no problem in using Cooke as the primary weekday starter. Considering UConn has home and away midweek games scheduled with Boston College, Northeastern, and Bryant, I don't expect midweek games to be a total cake walk. So that is an additional argument for using Cooke as the midweek starter.

Reaction Score
Why not Peterson on 4 days rest then Cooke on Monday vs UCSD?

Reaction Score

Might be wrong, but guessing you don't follow much college baseball. The general practice on the college level is that starting pitchers get 1 start a week. One reason that they are used this way is that you want your best starting pitchers available on the weekends when conference games are played. You will see someone who might be used in relief for an inning or two during a weekend series get a midweek start, which is what just happened with Ian Cooke, who was used in relief last Friday.

Reaction Score
College ball is a relatively short, but intense season. What any coach hopes for is a set weekend (Fri, sat, Sun) rotation. UConn has that and likely won’t mess with it barring injury. The fact that several pitchers are lacking live action experience this season is a good problem to have as it means the starters are pitching very well. There will be some important midweek games and with a weak Big East, those games will have meaning. Baseball is a fickle sport and you don’t mess with what is working. Interestingly, after starting the season with a sweep of ranked East Carolina, Bryant is 0-9.

Reaction Score
So if I can read the position graphic on the tweet, Alejandro gets the start. I'm sure Sullivan is next in line.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
This calls for a t shirt purchase. Which one?

Attachments

• AEA38E7E-43AE-495C-B1F0-008EEB270A64.jpeg
    AEA38E7E-43AE-495C-B1F0-008EEB270A64.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 8A46A907-1BB8-42CC-AF44-4E8B16297EF7.jpeg
    8A46A907-1BB8-42CC-AF44-4E8B16297EF7.jpeg
    333.1 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hector Alejandro gets the call:

Alejandro got the midweek start against Hartford last week, and went 2 innings. Suspect it very well could be another staff night with him in the lead. Alejandro threw only 13 pitches in his stint against Pepperdine on Sunday, I didn't realize he threw so few pitches in that appearance.

The lineup shuffle continues, with Morton getting an outfield start tonight, with Stock moving the D.H. spot for the night. The D.H. spot seems to be on permanent rotation

I won't be posting in this thread during the game tonight, as I got to get up way too early in the morning this time around. See you next time.

Reaction Score
So if I can read the position graphic on the tweet, Alejandro gets the start. I'm sure Sullivan is next in line.

In the Hartford game Chudoba was next after Alejandro. I expect if the game is a close one, Sullivan will likely get into the game at some point. At any rate, will be interesting to see how far Alejandro goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom