OT: - UConn Law School | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: UConn Law School

Reaction Score
I disagree with this. I recommend avoiding all secondary sources in your first year. The point is to learn how to think like a lawyer, not to memorize the law.

I agree with this, but what makes a successful law student isn't necessarily what makes a successful lawyer.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
It's possible that for me, the transformation in thinking from undergrad to law school just came easily, so I didn't find exams to be difficult. (I know, a not-so-humble brag).

Yeah, you just got the lawyer lobotomy earlier. Can confirm. :)

Reaction Score
Sorry to open this back up with a question that goes in a distinctly different direction, but since it seems like several of you are lawyers, I'm curious what your thoughts are.

By way of a brief synopsis, I went to UConn for my undergrad with the intent of going to law school. I realized pretty early on that while I enjoyed studying law (took a few Constitutional and other law classes), I didn't want to make it a career.

I graduated in 2008 with a respectable 3.8 GPA, went off to flight school for the Army and came back and got into the corporate world. I've done well for myself over the past 9 years+ and am moving up in my field (insurance). I'm at the point now where I want to get an advanced degree, but can only do it part time (I'm a married father of 3, am still in the Reserves and am active in other areas as well). I know I can do a part time or online MBA, but I'd rather set myself apart, at least somewhat, and am considering law school. As I said earlier, I loved the law classes I took during undergrad, and beyond a JD setting me apart from my peers, I think the skills I'd learn would actually be put to practical use.

The question is 2 part - 1) Do any of you think the juice is worth the squeeze to get a JD over an MBA? 2) Is going to law school too difficult to do part time?
Hi...I might have some practical info for you from a non practicing attorney. I intended to practice law after graduation. However, I've been in the Intellectual Property area for over 20 years....on the business side. My law degree has been a very valuable asset IMO.

When I got out during a downtown, friends that had no specific work experience prior to law school struggled finding work unless they were top 20% (and I went to top 25 school). Those friends that had specific pre-law experience (securities, finance) had no trouble finding work. IMO unless you get an MBA from an Ivy or NYU, the law degree is more distinctive and valuable long term.

But...getting that degree could be much more painful...getting a 3 year degree in 4 years at night is VERY difficult. I've had several friends do it. You need your employer to be understanding (maybe pay for it?) and your family to be even more so. I've seen law school break relationships.. The MBA is much more flexible with time.

Feel free to DM if you have any more specific questions

Reaction Score
It won’t be.

It’ll be worse.

I’m happy to provide any help/insights can though to make it more bearable.

I'm not too far out of law school. Feel free to DM about it.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Hi...I might have some practical info for you from a non practicing attorney. I intended to practice law after graduation. However, I've been in the Intellectual Property area for over 20 years....on the business side. My law degree has been a very valuable asset IMO.

When I got out during a downtown, friends that had no specific work experience prior to law school struggled finding work unless they were top 20% (and I went to top 25 school). Those friends that had specific pre-law experience (securities, finance) had no trouble finding work. IMO unless you get an MBA from an Ivy or NYU, the law degree is more distinctive and valuable long term.

But...getting that degree could be much more painful...getting a 3 year degree in 4 years at night is VERY difficult. I've had several friends do it. You need your employer to be understanding (maybe pay for it?) and your family to be even more so. I've seen law school break relationships.. The MBA is much more flexible with time.

Feel free to DM if you have any more specific questions
I did the 4 year law degree at night while working full-time. Just married, too, but no kids until after graduation. I could not do it with kids in the house.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
It won’t be.

It’ll be worse.

I’m happy to provide any help/insights can though to make it more bearable.

I actually thought it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be ... in many ways. Certain ways, it was worse. But god bless him for having that mentality going in!

Get through the first few months and you'll be ok, that's the hardest.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom