UConn is ... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn is ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If that problem is across the board as you say, pudge, then you have part of your problem in why your losing fans/season tickets. Us diehards, we deal with it, **** happens. The casual fan feels disrespected, let down, and says duck UConn they're small time anyway. I know I know, that is not the type of fan we need blah blah. Sorry for interjecting my personal experience into your thread of why every thing is going to be just fine going forward.

I am just as ready to blast a poor performance as any other.

I don't like the optics of Warde Manual in the Virgin Islands while all this was going on. He'll find out that he will get blasted for that; regardless of what he was doing on his cell. (if it's a storm, the Governor needs to stand next to the TV weatherman ... the AD?) We don't know if anything they said could have changed the dynamic of Clemson/FSU pushing the conference choice.

We should have a Bigtime stadium (52,000). Any other opinion ... don't go whining about this ACC vote. We don't look like we care.

Marketing ... sucks! I've said it for 10 years. Ticket office ... sucks! Said it for 10 years. Website/marketing (IMG) ... sucks. Outreach to Fairfield County (think Gifts/Endowment) ... sucks!

WE ARE POTENTIAL. And that is a dirty word. We are far better than Rutgers in 85% of what matters ... except the Bigtime push they had with Football plus the rolling eyeballs of the B1G got them in (and laughably ... FSU would have took UL over them).

Reaction Score
Title IX is a bomb. You wait ... this ripple of college sports feels like the NINJA mortgages feels like the DOTCOM crap feels like ... so many illusory trends that suddenly causes a Wiseperson to step up & say: Hey ... you just f----- 80 top College Sports women's programs.

Reaction Score
UConn is the University of Houston, at the time of the SWC breakup. National success in basketball, reasonable success in football, and about to die on the vine, unless something changes.

Hard to argue with that viewpoint. Games with SU, Pitt, UNC, Duke etc replaced with Tulane, UCF, SMU.
We'll see immediate impact in the recruiting wars in both basketball and football.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We'll see immediate impact in the recruiting wars in both basketball and football.
Recruiting wars are a thing of the past for us. We won't be involved. We'll get those who don't have any better options, just like us.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I don't believe that for a second.

UConn is a strong flagship State U. With a great improvement in academic stature over the last 20 years. This stuff is not going to lock us out like Houston. (a small secondary Texas public)

I agree with BL. We have not fought the right fight & hit the right sale points. We, I believe, got burnt by being the University that cried too loudly in 2003. But, Blumenthal & all that stuff needs to be part of this. You just let Florida State's fears rule the day at ACC ... and you are screwing Women's sports in all this. As we saw with the B1G, there are a whole lot of different markers from a stable conference. Our MARKET; Our DEMOGRAPHICS ... trump Pitt & Louisville & SU & BA. ACC, with ESPN singing, went for Branding. F--- em. They have ND now & that's a curse.

...and all of that nonsense mattered a lick when we got beaten out by a glorified commuter school. Our athletic success didn't bridge us over. Academics out window. Etc etc etc.

We're a good reputation without a good home - like Houston.

Reaction Score
Recruiting wars are a thing of the past for us. We won't be involved. We'll get those who don't have any better options, just like us.

Basketball?

No ... I don't believe that. We will be UCONN - a brand. (Memphis has done well ... for instance)

Football?

We have never really got to the next level of Football. Rutgers has been 4 star crazy. And, we might be behind Temple ... BEFORE this news. I dunno: this is about lost opportunity.

Reaction Score
...and all of that nonsense mattered a lick when we got beaten out by a glorified commuter school. Our athletic success didn't bridge us over. Academics out window. Etc etc etc.

We're a good reputation without a good home - like Houston.

Throwaway line.

You haven't been to a UHouston game. You discount the CT state following ... led by Calhoun & Auriemma.

I say this is Fixable. I question the leadership now. (Hathaway - I knew was disastrous)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Basketball?

No ... I don't believe that. We will be UCONN - a brand. (Memphis has done well ... for instance)

Football?

We have never really got to the next level of Football. Rutgers has been 4 star crazy. And, we might be behind Temple ... BEFORE this news. I dunno: this is about lost opportunity.
Our brand in basketball already took a hit with the NCAA crap, the APR, the post-season ban and the vacancy in our head coaching position starting in April 2013. Today's news sinks the brand further. A few seasons off the national radar will sink it even more. When JC had no program to sell, he sold recruits on the opportunity to play against the best in the Big East. We now have no program to sell and no conference. To add to no coach.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
First Post. Thank You Boneyarders for all your hard work. I am friggin sick to my stomach today.

UConn is...........The Grasshopper.
Build and upgrade your football program to protect your basketball teams.
We did, but did we do enough? Upgrade + the RENT? Hire a HC in football with a pulse?
Market better as some have said here....Hell No.

Did we fiddle around like Warde in the USVI
while The ant in Louisville hammered away at the ACC? We do think small.
Things in life do not come to you, you have to grab for it. Long hard winter Mr. Grasshopper,
enjoy the CYO hoop league while you can.....Francesca on the FAN already has out of it.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
UConn is the University of Houston, at the time of the SWC breakup. National success in basketball, reasonable success in football, and about to die on the vine, unless something changes.

Not exactly. Houston is a commuter school, which is why they couldn't maintain their success in athletics once the rug got pulled out from under them, and only because Deloss Dodds at T-Sip U. continues to this day to be wet pants scared of being in the same conference with them. They committed the cardinal sin of not just beating the Longwhores too many times...they humiliated them on a couple of occasions during the Run-and-Shoot era of the late 1980's and early 1990's. That didn't sit well with Dodds, and their punishment was being banished forever into mid-major conference hell.

Reaction Score
Of everything you have said, someone is going to have to explain to me why no one in Congress has started screaming Title IX at schools acting in concert with the effect (if not the purpose) of harming the nation's most important female athletic program. And don't tell me because there states have universities with football teams. There are a lot of congressmen who care much more about Title IX than they do about college football. Votes or no votes.

Again, I just fear we have failed to deal the right cards to the right players.

I've been waiting for two years for something to come out of the U.S. government regarding this mess of intercollegiate athletics.

The government doesn't have any problem with promoting student loan debt.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Throwaway line.

You haven't been to a UHouston game. You discount the CT state following ... led by Calhoun & Auriemma.

I say this is Fixable. I question the leadership now. (Hathaway - I knew was disastrous)

...and you talk about throwaway? Of course I haven't been to anything UHouston, BECAUSE THEY'RE IRRELEVANT YOU DOPE!

UHouston was involved in probably 2 or 3 of the most significant modern basketball games of all time. They had multiple HOF'ers on the floor simultaneously, and a national brand.

They had a Heisman winner in football.

Name one nationally significant thing they did between 1995 (SWC) and 2009. I'll grant you some Case Keenum success since then, but even that's a stretch against a CUSA schedule.

They needed a NNNNNBE lifeboat. We're desperately trying to get out. That should tell you enough.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Not exactly. Houston is a commuter school, which is why they couldn't maintain their success in athletics once the rug got pulled out from under them, and only because Deloss Dodds at T-Sip U. continues to this day to be wet pants scared of being in the same conference with them. They committed the cardinal sin of not just beating the Longwhores too many times...they humiliated them on a couple of occasions during the Run-and-Shoot era of the late 1980's and early 1990's. That didn't sit well with Dodds, and their punishment was being banished forever into mid-major conference hell.

Uh huh, and what would you call the NNNNNBE? Are you with Warde, and call it a major conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom