UConn is NYC's team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn is NYC's team

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Were you at the game? Although UConn fans were outnumbered, the Maryland fans were pretty quiet until the closing minutes when they made it a game. UConn fans were pretty loud until the final minutes when everyone was holding their breath.

I was, yes. They had few opportunities to cheer but when they went on a couple mini-runs throughout the game and then their big run at the end, the place got really loud.

As a Red Sox fan living in NYC, I know what it's like to be rooting for the visiting team. I know what it feels like to jump up and cheer while everyone around you -- except for one guy here, and another guy there -- is seething. That's what it felt like.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
With my untrained eye, the lower bowl where I was sitting under the basket was about 50/50 UConn/Maryland fans. The lower bowl around the sidelines, especially behind the Maryland bench were heavy Red. In total, I would call the lower bowl, 60/40 Maryland. The parts of the upper bowl that were open appeared to be more blue than red, call that 60/40 UConn. Thus, I called it 50/50 overall. I also agree that Maryland, even with eth piped-in pro Terrapin music, were quite until they rallied after Napier’s Technical.

Obviously we have a difference of opinion. But I'd be willing to bet every cent I have that it was at least 60% Maryland fans. And I still maintain (even though I wouldn't go poor over it), that it was more like 75%.

As I was walking in, I was bombarded by Maryland fans. EVERYONE was chanting pro-Maryland chants. I was astounded. And then I walked into the actual arena and there was red everywhere. It's almost like you and I went to different games.

Reaction Score
So we had more fans show up at the football game? That is great to hear. We're big time.

Reaction Score
As a Red Sox fan living in NYC, I know what it's like to be rooting for the visiting team. I know what it feels like to jump up and cheer while everyone around you -- except for one guy here, and another guy there -- is seething. That's what it felt like.

Born and raised Yankee fan who lived in and around Boston for 15 years before moving to NY/NJ a few years ago. It’s good to be back among my people and when fellow fans give me a free beer at Yankee, it’s now handed to me instead of thrown at me. LOL. Now, if I can just convince my oldest son to forget that he was born outside of Boston and join the Evil Empire…
My section at Barclay’s (lower bowl, behind the basket opposite the main entrance) was defiantly 50/50. Can only eyeball the rest. It was defiantly a Maryland home game though as the Maryland fans near me told me that they got their ticket for $20 something via their alumni network while mine were $45 via Ticketmaster. They did admit that they were worried about UConn as they heard about what UConn fans do to MSG during the old Big E days and Kentucky brought a boatload of fans to Barclay’s last year when they played the Terps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom