UConn is in XRM's final three. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn is in XRM's final three.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Xrms dad was born in New Haven, didn't even know. Went to HS in ct too

Reaction Score
Xrms dad was born in New Haven, didn't even know. Went to HS in ct too

I saw his team play live a few times. This is probably a wild thing to say, but I bet that team was the best of the last 25 years. They ended up in the national rankings, they destroyed teams by 40s points in the semis of the state tourney. it was just a dunkfest with them. The 7th and 8th men on the bench went on to play college ball.

Reaction Score
If his dad grew up in ct and went to hillhouse i see that just as much of an advantage as fsu's. But well never really know until october 3rd

Reaction Score
If his dad grew up in ct and went to hillhouse i see that just as much of an advantage as fsu's. But well never really know until october 3rd

Back then, though, UConn was not nearly as popular as it is today. They were not yet a national name.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think it is XRM's stepdad who lives in CT, no?

And XRM was re-tweeting things from K. Nunn and "A new fab-5 at Illinios" last night. Please god no..

Reaction Score

And XRM was re-tweeting things from K. Nunn and "A new fab-5 at Illinios" last night. Please god no..

??????

Illinois has two SG's signed, Nunn and Malcolm Hil, both rated lower than XRM. So, XRM, also a SG, is going to join them??? And...how is this the start of a new Fab 5??? Must be that unranked center they have in the fold also. :confused:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
??????

Illinois has two SG's signed, Nunn and Malcolm Hil, both rated lower than XRM. So, XRM, also a SG, is going to join them??? And...how is this the start of a new Fab 5??? Must be that unranked center they have in the fold also. :confused:

They want Jabari Parker to go to Illinois as well.

Reaction Score

His dad is Tharon Mayes who played at Hillhouse and went to FSU......he now resides in Florida I believe but could be wrong.......JC recruited him out of HS.....have no idea who his step-dad is or if he even has one........just get him to Storrs!! LOL............

caw

Reaction Score
They want Jabari Parker to go to Illinois as well.

If you take XRM's word on his final three Illinois has a 33% shot at him right now (I think it's much lower). Illinois shot with Parker is probably closer to 1-3%, if even that high.

Also even if they got all of XRM, Demetrius Jackson and Parker (the last three they want, and the three highest ranked they are after). Then they still wouldn't match the talent of the fab five, which really about how strong the fab five was out of high school. That's not even getting into the position issues.

Claiming a potential fab five when you haven't gotten a commit from anyone at the level of webber, Howard or rose is just silly.

Reaction Score
His dad is Tharon Mayes who played at Hillhouse and went to FSU......he now resides in Florida I believe but could be wrong.......JC recruited him out of HS.....have no idea who his step-dad is or if he even has one........just get him to Storrs!! LOL............
XRM's father currently lives in New Haven. I think it's a major reason UConn is still in the hunt.

After coming away impressed from last season’s “First Night,” Rathan Mayes hopes to arrange another trip to Storrs while he visits his father, a New Haven resident.

Recruiting Spotlight: Xavier Rathan Mayes

Reaction Score
Whether this kid turns out to be the next Ray Allen or the next Darius Smith is irrelevant. Landing him will instantly grant the program some badly-needed credibility as we inaugurate the post-Calhoun era.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Whether this kid turns out to be the next Ray Allen or the next Darius Smith is irrelevant. Landing him will instantly grant the program some badly-needed credibility as we inaugurate the post-Calhoun era.

Finally some common sense. He'd be Ollie's first recruit as a head coach. Having a highly regarded kid make that commitment is huge. It does much to signify that UConn's post-ban, post-Calhoun future will still require the wearing of shades. The major impact will be on those in the 14-15 class who are trying to decide if UConn is going to continue to be UConn.

Reaction Score

Finally some common sense. He'd be Ollie's first recruit as a head coach. Having a highly regarded kid make that commitment is huge. It does much to signify that UConn's post-ban, post-Calhoun future will still require the wearing of shades. The major impact will be on those in the 14-15 class who are trying to decide if UConn is going to continue to be UConn.
IMO, this starts with the 2013 class and has a lot to do with how the 2012/13 season goes as well. As for the 2013 class, Ollie had a hand in the recruiting of the two that have already committed and still needs to secure their signed LOIs now that he's the HC and JC has moved on. It will be interesting to see what type of 2013 class he is able to pull in. In fact, this is the class that's most impacted IMO. They have to decide if they want to come here or not before they even know he's going to be here next fall as their HC.

As for the 2014 and beyond, before most of them make their decision, they'll probably know if KO continues as the HC. Granted a few will pull the trigger early. Hum...I didn't think about this till now. If KO is able to get a couple of big time 2014 verbals, along with how well he coaches this coming season, might just in seal the deal for a long term contract. Recruits from the 2014 and beyond classes can commit to UConn and still have time to pull their verbal off the table and still have time to be recruited by other programs between now and next spring if the administration doesn't extend KO. It's the 2013 class that's the much harder sell for obvious reasons.

So far KO has been well received with many recruits. They seem to like him a lot. The one thing he has going for himself is until he demonstrates that he can't handle the head coaching responsibilities, many recruits will hang in there with him with a few hopefully committing to UConn. Granted some that might have been interested in UConn because of JC and his track record, might slip away. I think XRM is the most important KO recruits, because if he commits even with the uncertainty of KO's future, others might follow and want to be part of this new UConn era. On the other hand, if XRM chooses elsewhere, it might cast a shawdow that UConn is too big a risk at this time. With that said, how many times under JC have we seen him swing and miss at plan-A & B recruits and end up with better players and a deep NCAA run?

I know we all want to know now how all this will play out, but I think we won't know till sometime next spring. I could see a scenario where KO gets a few nice pieces for the 2013 class and maybe even the 2014, leads the current team to more than respectible first half or so of the season, and the adminstration decides to lock him up with a long term contract. I don't think they'll do that. I hope that this job is dreamy enough for KO to wait out a contract extension. I could easily see some NBA franchises try to entice himwith some big time dollars for one of their upper assistant coaching jobs before UConn offers. Frankly I couldn't blame him if that happens and the administration doesn't give him much if any indications that they'll sign him long term.

Sort of went off topic there. To sum this up, I think XRM is an extremely important piece of KO's UConn's puzzle. A decision to come here, might slowly open the recruiting floodgate and play a part in KO's future as UConn's long term coach. If he decides to go elsewhere, it just makes the mountain a bit taller to climb over. How much taller, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom