UConn is for real | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn is for real

Reaction Score
As a new follower of UConn, so may I ask where are our seniors? I suppose there is incoming players for every year.
Megan Walker was age eligible for WNBA and did not return for her UConn senior season.

Reaction Score
Watching clips, I think she’ll actually have an easier time scoring in college/freshman year. She’s spent a lot of her HS career so far being face guarded and the focus of the other teams defense. And even with that she still erupts to score 20+ points. At UCONN she’ll be surrounded by great players which will make it easier for her to get open looks. She also has an advantage her freshman year that PB doesn’t... gets to play with the #1 point guard in the nation.

Reaction Score
I’m a long time UCONN fan and I don’t see what most are seeing. I watched quite a lot of the SEC this season and some of the PAC 12 and, of course, all the UCONN games. There is a big difference at the top end of these conferences. So, here’s my take. UCONN will play Big East caliber teams in the first 2 rounds and sleepwalk to the Elite Eight. But, if they play like they did against St John’s and last night, they go no further. Mistakes, turnovers and stretches of lack of focus like we saw after the first quarter last night don’t matter in the BIG East because UCONN wins by 30 anyway against this level of competition. But, it will end their season sooner than we hope if it continues. The other top teams play hard 4 quarters to earn their seed. That will help them in the tourney. UCONN plays a half...no pressure, no paying for the mistakes. This will hurt them.
Disagree 100%. I don't think you are giving this team the credit they deserve, especially defensively. Offensively, Maryland is the only team IMO that has really been consistent on that side of the ball, but their defense isn't as strong.

UCONN is on par with the top teams - there is no dominant team this year. The same things you are saying are applicable to literally any team this year. There are 3 Big East teams other than UCONN in the Top 64 of Massey - Villanova, Seton Hall, and Marquette. Giving up an average of 40 points in the BET is incredible and they didn't even do that in the American, which had an even lower level of competition. Stanford lost to an unranked Colorado team, giving up 77 points. Now they are playing much better now, but so is UCONN. There are examples like this with all the top teams. It's not a normal year. Geno has always said that the Elite 8 game is the hardest one, so I think anyone would expect that to be a challenge, regardless.

Reaction Score
Get ready America. UConn is young, with no seniors. Paige is NPOY and NFOY and you know what. UConn has a player comin in next season who is suppose to be better then Paige and thats Azzi Fudd. If thats true UConn may no loose another game for 4-5 years. I mentioned in another thread UConn is peaking. The defense is suffocating and the last 3 teams theyve played in the BE tourney had problems scoring 40 pts. The is Real Folks.

This tournament was a massacre. Opponents that were good didnt have a chance. They were hit hard and the hitting never let up. A surprise attack. UConn is playing at a level that no other team in WCBB can match.

Paige is NPOY and NFOY. If you dont think so take Paige off UConn and where are they???? Even better put Paige on any of the top 10 teams and tell me they wont be a top 4 team in WCBB and for the top 5 teams they could be number 1. She does so much more then any other player in America its mind boggleing. This team has energy, intensity, confidence, a winning attitude and guts. Summerthing Suffocating defense and relentlessness. If they get any better then they are now and they will next year, but for the NCAA tourney if they get any better "turn out the lights".
Everything you say is true. However, I would caution as follows; UCONN can get into trouble against a team with "equal" talent and more experience. A freshman laden team can falter when the pressure is most intense. It is simply a reality. So South Carolina is a worry, in particular. Also, AZZI Fudd cannot be what she was once forecast to be. Her knee surgery was simply too complex. I absolutely hope I am 100% wrong. Who wouldn't want to see her at her peak skill set? I have said this before; Caroline Doty, at her peak, was regarded as a "break through basketball talent" for the women game., when she graduated high school. Injuries set her back to the point where we were thrilled to see her on the court, looking like a competent player who still enjoyed the game. She earned everyones respect, to this day. But she was never at UCONN what she might have been. And I think we must adjust our expectations for AZZI, as well.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Washington Mystics play at the Entertainment and Sports Arena. The arena scoring record was set in this game. It's SJU winning the City Championship game in 2019, led by sophomore and NPOY Azzi Fudd. She scored 38, more than the entire Visitation team.

Reaction Score
Everything you say is true. However, I would caution as follows; UCONN can get into trouble against a team with "equal" talent and more experience. A freshman laden team can falter when the pressure is most intense. It is simply a reality. So South Carolina is a worry, in particular. Also, AZZI Fudd cannot be what she was once forecast to be. Her knee surgery was simply too complex. I absolutely hope I am 100% wrong. Who wouldn't want to see her at her peak skill set? I have said this before; Caroline Doty, at her peak, was regarded as a "break through basketball talent" for the women game., when she graduated high school. Injuries set her back to the point where we were thrilled to see her on the court, looking like a competent player who still enjoyed the game. She earned everyones respect, to this day. But she was never at UCONN what she might have been. And I think we must adjust our expectations for AZZI, as well.

besides Doty's ACL injuries there was also this.

Doty discusses her 3 ACL surgeries.
Caroline Doty on her ACL Surgeries

Reaction Score
What has impressed me the most has been their focus on defense. They are swarming to the ball and Christyn has become their lockdown defender and that has improved her overall game!

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
What has impressed me the most has been their focus on defense. They are swarming to the ball and Christyn has become their lockdown defender and that has improved her overall game!
i believe Nika deserves mucho credit for inspiring this in her teammates.

Reaction Score
South Carolina wouldn't necessarily have won the NCAA tournament last year. Oregon and Baylor were at least as good, if not better.
Who knows how UCONN might have done...we were coming together

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom