UConn is Currently Ranked 323 out of 350 D1 schools against man to man defense | The Boneyard

UConn is Currently Ranked 323 out of 350 D1 schools against man to man defense

Reaction Score
UConn is Currently Ranked 323 out of 350 D1 schools against man to man defense according to Synergy Sports Tech.

And 324th in FG Percentage against man to man

Against zone defense they are 154th

This is all on Hurley and the result of how poor his man to man offense really is.

Everyone is quick to put the blame on Gilbert and Vital but a lot of time it is not all their fault.

Hurley hasn’t but them in positions for success.

Half the team looks scared when they get into crunch time and act like they don’t want the ball.

The biggest problem is the awful spacing due to both bigs standing at the top of the key and everyone else up too high.

Time and time again either Gilbert or Vital is forced to try and make something happen with the shot clock winding down and no room to operate.

There is no room to for them to create so Vital is usually forced to throw up a long contested three and Gilbert ends up getting in trouble trying to split a double team or over penetrating.

The poor results speak for themselves. The shots you get are a result of the offense you run.

The numbers don’t lie.

But I do like what Hurley is doing on defense

Reaction Score
the elephant in the room for this team was always offense. But when u look at a team like Virginia (14-6) who is ranked 350/353 teams in scoring it goes to show defense can win games. This is a stat we can win games on. Mirroring UVA’s Defense platform can go far with a poor offensively efficient team

Reaction Score
This is what happens when nobody can create their own shot . . .

I don’t love the double high-post (horns) set because it doesn’t lend itself to good spacing, but it’s better than the weave, and it’s not like our roster is equipped to play 4-out.

Reaction Score
Makes sense. Can't take man off of dribble. Can't finish at the rim. Can't dump to big man. Can't penetrate and kick for 3.

Got to make shots period. We've been somewhat effective getting the ball at foul line against zone.

Reaction Score
UConn is Currently Ranked 323 out of 350 D1 schools against man to man defense according to Synergy Sports Tech.

And 324th in FG Percentage against man to man

Against zone defense they are 154th

This is all on Hurley and the result of how poor his man to man offense really is.

Everyone is quick to put the blame on Gilbert and Vital but a lot of time it is not all their fault.

Hurley hasn’t but them in positions for success.

Half the team looks scared when they get into crunch time and act like they don’t want the ball.

The biggest problem is the awful spacing due to both bigs standing at the top of the key and everyone else up too high.

Time and time again either Gilbert or Vital is forced to try and make something happen with the shot clock winding down and no room to operate.

There is no room to for them to create so Vital is usually forced to throw up a long contested three and Gilbert ends up getting in trouble trying to split a double team or over penetrating.

The poor results speak for themselves. The shots you get are a result of the offense you run.

The numbers don’t lie.

But I do like what Hurley is doing on defense
We get decent looks at shots but can’t finish.

Reaction Score

I don’t love the double high-post (horns) set because it doesn’t lend itself to good spacing, but it’s better than the weave, and it’s not like our roster is equipped to play 4-out.
That little weave set in end game scenarios needs to be fired to the moon.

Reaction Score
Halfcourt offense still sucks except for out of timeouts where hurley has thrown in some nice wrinkles. The next pass in our offense is always so obvious. There needs to be more options or the defense just knows what is coming.

Reaction Score
Our offensive system sucks.
Blame the system not the talent? We get plenty of open uncontested shots, and at some point somebody has to make some. Look at our recent games from 3. I know Polley is gone but please. Next year on track to be the same without shooters.

Reaction Score
Makes sense. Can't take man off of dribble. Can't finish at the rim. Can't dump to big man. Can't penetrate and kick for 3.

Got to make shots period. We've been somewhat effective getting the ball at foul line against zone.
Personnel is set for screens and lots of em.

Reaction Score
We do a bunch of false motion to a ball screen once that’s defended shot clock is at ten and we’re done.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Blame the system not the talent? We get plenty of open uncontested shots, and at some point somebody has to make some. Look at our recent games from 3. I know Polley is gone but please. Next year on track to be the same without shooters.

It's both. Stick Carlton on the right team and he's a high efficiency scorer getting 16-28 a game. For us he keeps putting up 2 or zero. Why? Because Hurley decided to go all in on his preferred style of play even with the players he's got. So you've got a lot of people who don't fit the system. We do miss too many open looks and layups and that's on the guys. But our stagnation against aggressive man D is on the system.

Reaction Score
I have talked with college coaches from Division II to high-level DI over the years.

Those motion offenses that used to be run years ago, think Duke and Kansas, are kind of out of style. The offensive styles run now are more NBA like, which is essentially high PnR and drive and kick.

Players like those offenses because it gives them a chance to play to their strengths. Coaches like those offenses because there is no predetermined spot on the floor for a defense to game plan against. Film study has made those offenses that we grew up as kids running impossible to run in advanced basketball. You can create a one-off play that works (Hurley's brilliant out of bounds play to get Vital open for 3), but then once someone has seen it, they can defend the look.

The favored offense now is less regimented and what you do depends on what the defense does; the offense has to react in the moment.

Now, you can see the problem with that. It comes down to decision-making. That's the issue here. It really is a PG, Point-Wing centric offense and you need players who can make correct decisions with the ball.

System offenses actually gets the ball out of your best player's hands. Think Duke not getting the ball to Zion in the NCAAs.

Edit: Also, the 3-point shot has essentially ended the 2-2-1 zone press that we grew up with under Calhoun. You get killed running that now if you don't turn them over.

Reaction Score
When you have good guards, you can break down defenses, finish at the rim, and make everyone the best version of their offensive selves by getting easy shots. Right now we do not have good guards, and so we are bad.

That is my in depth analysis. Good Guards mean Good Offense. Bad Guards mean Bad Offense.

Reaction Score
Being a former high school point guard myself I hated when the big men came too far up. So hard to create anything off the dribble with 2 extra big bodies there. I preferred them to stay low and post up see if they can dish it to someone else or go up

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The weird thing is we run a different offense the first 5-10 minutes where Josh posts up and swing am the ball around the outside and get good shots and open lanes then we revert to the high and roll and a huge drought ensues

Reaction Score

We can't hit open shots. We can't finish at the rim. Forget creating your own shot, we need to apply for entry into the International Union of Bricklayers.

Reaction Score
This helps explain why we lose close games. When the game is on the line, you need someone to take over. We don't have that guy, yet.

Reaction Score
This helps explain why we lose close games. When the game is on the line, you need someone to take over. We don't have that guy, yet.

I don't get why this is so hard to understand. People love to criticize "hero ball", but the following teams played "hero ball" in the closing minutes against us:

Xavier
Houston
Villanova
WSU
Memphis

Tulsa not as much as they isolated their big on Carlton who couldn't guard him. The rest? Well, their "heroes" made plays. Ours didn't.

pj

Reaction Score
Shabazz and Kemba played hero ball, heroically, in our last two championship runs.

It's a luxury if you can do it. But you ought to be able to make an offense work without a hero. It's just tougher.

Reaction Score
Being a former high school point guard myself I hated when the big men came too far up. So hard to create anything off the dribble with 2 extra big bodies there. I preferred them to stay low and post up see if they can dish it to someone else or go up

When JOsh comes all the way out to the 3 pt line it is impossible to run any kind of High/low with him because he is too slow to the hoop.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom