UConn is accepting applications and nominations for a FT Assistant Football Coach (Offensive Line) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn is accepting applications and nominations for a FT Assistant Football Coach (Offensive Line)

Reaction Score
If there was really way to prove either way, I'd surely take the wager that Randy made things less than comfortable for Lashlee and frustrated him. All you need to do is look at the change in offensive production over the year and also the general disruption resulting and you have to ask why. I understand the desire to want/need RE to restore the program. I'm only saying I'm not interested in giving anyone the benefit of the doubt anymore. Too many years. Too many screw ups, bad decisions, and grievous mismanagement by Uconn. Lashlee and Grimes did something no one else could accomplish in 7 years. They had a washed up QB in the top of the NCAA. They took a completely broken offensive at the bottom of the NCAA and turned them into mid-level offensive production. So, let's loose those guys and keep the worst D.C. In the country by any statistical measure you could imagine. No. We managed to again do the opposite of what common sense dictates and don't think for a second money doesn't solve the departure problem. Instead, we get a Randy flunky with no OC experience, lose an effective OL coach. No. None of it makes good, objective sense. Sorry, but after the last 7 years we have the right to question everything.
So let me get this straight. You’re simultaneously saying that we shouldn’t trust the people making the decisions, while also saying those same people hired the best coaches the program has seen in 7 years? Maybe we should pump the brakes and see how the new hires turn out buddy.

Reaction Score
If there was really way to prove either way, I'd surely take the wager that Randy made things less than comfortable for Lashlee and frustrated him. All you need to do is look at the change in offensive production over the year and also the general disruption resulting and you have to ask why. I understand the desire to want/need RE to restore the program. I'm only saying I'm not interested in giving anyone the benefit of the doubt anymore. Too many years. Too many screw ups, bad decisions, and grievous mismanagement by Uconn. Lashlee and Grimes did something no one else could accomplish in 7 years. They had a washed up QB in the top of the NCAA. They took a completely broken offensive at the bottom of the NCAA and turned them into mid-level offensive production. So, let's loose those guys and keep the worst D.C. In the country by any statistical measure you could imagine. No. We managed to again do the opposite of what common sense dictates and don't think for a second money doesn't solve the departure problem. Instead, we get a Randy flunky with no OC experience, lose an effective OL coach. No. None of it makes good, objective sense. Sorry, but after the last 7 years we have the right to question everything.
Give me one good reason why either guy would turn down the offers they had. And most of them are always have a go-bag.

Reaction Score
Because, and I'm speaking from personal experience here, sometimes career aspirations, in a moment of almost painful clarity, take on a completely new meaning when you realize just how much your spouse and family mean to you compared with fame or money.

So he left auburn to come to UConn for the fame and money???

Reaction Score
Because, and I'm speaking from personal experience here, sometimes career aspirations, in a moment of almost painful clarity, take on a completely new meaning when you realize just how much your spouse and family mean to you compared with fame or money.

Well said and so so true. A lot of these coaches miss out on the best years of raising their families.

Case in point:

Former Houston head coach Tony Levine has the best reason for stepping away from coaching

IMG_0481.JPG

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Was 110% behind RE 2.0 until they let the 2 best coaches making an impact get away while keeping the single worst DC in CFB by miles. Makes you wonder if goal 1 is winning or RE consolidating control with yes men. Very soured over this and the ongoing KO debacle. I trust none of these clowns to do the right thing anymore.

The defensive philosophy was completely overhauled and they were trying to fit ill-fitting pieces that they already had into a scheme. Also it is quite clear that some of the more talented players were not quite buying in, but without many options other than talent, were in it for themselves.

I don't get why the D had to be burned to the ground though. I would have thought a base 3-4 or 4-3, but then to introduce 3-3-5 gradually would have been beneficial. Be that as it may, I'm willing to give them the benefit of 18 months (rather than 6) to mold a better fit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was 110% behind RE 2.0 until they let the 2 best coaches making an impact get away while keeping the single worst DC in CFB by miles. Makes you wonder if goal 1 is winning or RE consolidating control with yes men. Very soured over this and the ongoing KO debacle. I trust none of these clowns to do the right thing anymore.
Could it be that they just wanted to leave for their own personal and professional reasons and there was nothing the University could do about it?

Reaction Score
This entire post is based off the assumption that UConn was the best place to be for their careers and families and that UConn was offering the most money. So dare they decide to leave so it must be RE.
Can you think it through for a moment and stop thinking like a fan? Players leave teams in the pros heck employees switch firms for similar reasons- Location, money, bigger name firm with better perks.
It’s not a RE conspiracy. You’re salty because we lost two good coaches but that’s the business. We move on and hire others to replace.

Reaction Score
This entire post is based off the assumption that UConn was the best place to be for their careers and families and that UConn was offering the most money. So dare they decide to leave so it must be RE.
Can you think it through for a moment and stop thinking like a fan? Players leave teams in the pros heck employees switch firms for similar reasons- Location, money, bigger name firm with better perks.
It’s not a RE conspiracy. You’re salty because we lost two good coaches but that’s the business. We move on and hire others to replace.
I'm very salty. Job 1 would be keeping those guys around if we're seriously invested in building a successful program. Those were AD Dave hires using his political capital...so, no, I don't think they were just pining away for some biscuits and grits and up and left being homesick. Let's put it this way, I suspect RE didn't go out of his way to keep them. Part 2 is we make an awful OC hire on paper with the only compelling basis for the hire is he worked with Randy. Maybe he works out, but of all the candidates we could pull in with some track record of success we end up there? His handpicked DC was an utter bust and we keep that clown around? I'm being harsh because after countless seasons of tickets, I'm tired of the instability and BS. Randy is the best guy for what we need, but why we do what we do defies logic and healthy skepticism is required. All benefits of the doubt were expended long ago.

Reaction Score
I'm very salty. Job 1 would be keeping those guys around if we're seriously invested in building a successful program. Those were AD Dave hires using his political capital...so, no, I don't think they were just pining away for some biscuits and grits and up and left being homesick. Let's put it this way, I suspect RE didn't go out of his way to keep them. Part 2 is we make an awful OC hire on paper with the only compelling basis for the hire is he worked with Randy. Maybe he works out, but of all the candidates we could pull in with some track record of success we end up there? His handpicked DC was an utter bust and we keep that clown around? I'm being harsh because after countless seasons of tickets, I'm tired of the instability and BS. Randy is the best guy for what we need, but why we do what we do defies logic and healthy skepticism is required. All benefits of the doubt were expended long ago.

I get the frustration, we're all tired of all the losing. This is Randy's legacy now. Everyone on the planet knows Lashlee was a temp. He is going to be a big time coach. He proved he could improve the worst offense in football and now onto building his resume in a more familiar place for his family. This is a different culture for a southern family. My son in law is from South Carolina. He still says yes Sir and yes Ma'm. Gotta trust the CEO! Principles work, Emotions don't in team management.

Reaction Score
Saying that RE did t go out of his way to keep them is speculative at best. And again, if someone is making a decision that he/she feels is best for the career and family there’s absolutely nothing an AD or RE can do.
As far as the DC is concerned. I don’t believe he was awful. To run that defense you need better athletes. That’s where recruiting comes in to play. You’ll have to drink some water and dilute the salty taste in your mouth and be a little patient to see how these next two classes pan out. Also, I suspect the returning players will perform better as they have a year under RE and know what his expectations are. The people that weren’t committed to change have left the building. Let’s move on and root for what’s left

Reaction Score
I believe that if Lashlee thought he could recruit good enough talent to carry out his offensive philosophy he'd still be here. What better place to fine tune "His" offense and show case it than in the American where the defenses aren't world beaters yet there is plenty of national television coverage. Grimes probably felt the same about recruiting and got lucky with a good opportunity to head back South where the recruiting is easier.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I believe that if Lashlee thought he could recruit good enough talent to carry out his offensive philosophy he'd still be here. What better place to fine tune "His" offense and show case it than in the American where the defenses aren't world beaters yet there is plenty of national television coverage. Grimes probably felt the same about recruiting and got lucky with a good opportunity to head back South where the recruiting is easier.
Lashlee is still in the AAC, Mrs. P.

Reaction Score
Some folks, no a lot of folks, don't like it up here... those guys are Southerners at heart.

Husky25

Reaction Score
He’s still missing GDL.
Honestly, I think @weyuo has taken more than his share of guff from his unabashed support of the former head "coach." I just couldn't resist. ....:D...It was just so over the top at the time.

Reaction Score
Let's look closer at the departures of Grimes and Lashlee.

Grimes was making $250k at UConn. When he was previously at Auburn, he made $370k in 2015 and the OL coach he was replacing made $420k. Thus, I would assume he is making ~$400k (or more), so he is probably getting a $150k raise to move to Auburn. You wouldn't move to a place that you worked before for a 60% raise? UConn was not going to be able to retain him.

Lashlee was making $350k at UConn and he was previously making $600k at Auburn. He took a $250k pay cut to go to UConn, and nobody does that unless they were being pushed out of their previous job. It was pretty clear that UConn was a soft landing for Lashlee orchestrated by Benedict, but he wasn't going to stay long. He wanted a P5 OC job, but he didn't get one this year, so he decided to go to SMU. Why?

SMU typically pays their football coaches well as Chad Morris was listed (although not officially as SMU is a private school and salary data is not shared) as the highest paid football coach in the G5. So, I would assume that Lashlee got a decent raise to go to SMU.

Plus, Lashlee is going to work for Sonny Dykes, who is very well connected to football in the state of Texas and he is an offensive minded coach. Lashlee's background is in the spread offense and Dykes background is with the Air Raid offense, so I would think Lashlee is going to have the opportunity to broaden his understanding of offensive concepts. Throw in that he and his wife are from Arkansas and Dallas is relatively close to Arkansas and it's pretty obvious why Lashlee went to SMU.

End of the day, UConn needs to hire up and coming football coaches and keep them as long as possible. When UConn gets the call up to the P5 or when boosters pony up the funds to pay football coaches, we will be able to keep coaches longer.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Grain Justice may be the new OL coach. He’s following RE, CE, Marvin Washington, James Tunstall. Would be a nice addition.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Grain Justice may be the new OL coach. He’s following RE, CE, Marvin Washington, James Tunstall. Would be a nice addition.

Did you mean Garin Justice?

If so, I thought he was hired in December to go to Arizona, but maybe with all the upheaval there he might be available...

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Did you mean Garin Justice?

If so, I thought he was hired in December to go to Arizona, but maybe with all the upheaval there he might be available...
Yes, autocorrect got me. He became available with Rich Rod’s termination.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom