UConn - Iowa Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn - Iowa Postgame Thread

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I would rather we lost to Iowa than to give Dawn the chance to hand Geno his 2nd consecutive NC loss.

It's a shame that a ref decided to make that call on Aaliyah. 99.9% of refs would have swallowed their whistles in that situation.

Reaction Score
Enough has been said about the last foul call.

I just have to say the thing that will stand out for me about this game is Nika. I've always respected her game, but with the exception of one really bad pass, she was impressive again here. The defense and the big shot... and I think she is hurting far more than she'll ever let on. Her legs looked like they were ready to just buckle a few different times. Tough as nails player went out with her boots on.

Reaction Score
This is arguably the worst officiating call in the history of basketball. The most watched game in women’s hoops entire history. The two best players facing off in the last two possessions. One comes through. The other has the ball in her hands, down one, with the season on the line. And an official makes a phantom call, away from the ball, to end it. I’m speechless. This chance will never come again. The NCAA, for the ump-teenth time, has utterly pooped the bed.

Reaction Score
What a game and what a season.. We had no business even being this far in the tournament, let alone a final 4. That call against Aalyah was horrible. Clark pushed off KK on that lat field goal Clark scored and they didn't even call it. The officials won this game, not Iowa, respectfully.

Reaction Score
Enough has been said about the last foul call.

I just have to say the thing that will stand out for me about this game is Nika. I've always respected her game, but with the exception of one really bad pass, she was impressive again here. The defense and the big shot... and I think she is hurting far more than she'll ever let on. Her legs looked like they were ready to just buckle a few different times. Tough as nails player went out with her boots on.
im so bummed for Nika. I really wanted her to get a natty. She's one of the best pure point guards I've seen. All heart.

Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on tonight’s game:
  • For many UConn WBB fans it’s “National Championship or bust.” But this season, after all the adversity this team has faced, I can’t feel anything but great joy and satisfaction over how much this team has accomplished against all odds. While the loss really hurts right now, the team should take tremendous pride in how hard they worked and fought, and how far they came despite facing challenges that would have broken just about any other team.
  • To our two incredibly tough and beloved graduating seniors, Nika and Aaliyah, thank you for everything you did for UConn WBB. You will be missed. Each of you have achieved a measure of immortality. Nika’s UConn career assist mark will last for a very long time, if not forever. Aaliyah will have her banner up in the rafters at Gampel along with so many legendary UConn greats: Rebecca, Sue, DT, Maya, Breanna, Paige……….
  • As for the game, it was billed as a battle between Paige and Clark, the two best players in WBB. Of course, it was really a battle between UConn and Iowa, but the hype surrounding these two superstars surely put several million fans in front of their TV’s.
  • UConn once again came out playing relentless defense, with Nika blanketing Clark all over the court, limiting high-scoring Iowa to a season low 26 points in the first half, taking a 6-point lead into halftime.
  • But in the 2nd half, Clark found just enough space to knock down a few shots, Iowa took much better care of the ball as the teams traded baskets through the 3rd qtr. In the 4th qtr, Iowa took the lead. UConn clawed their way back. This was an incredible battle between two fiercely competitive teams. UConn fought heroically to the very end, but the Huskies came up just short.
  • As for next season, there are a lot of question marks, mostly related to the health status of several key players. But so long as UConn has Paige doing Paige things, along with KK, Ashlynn, Ice, Q and whoever else shows up, does anyone really doubt that the Huskies will be back, chasing
10 seconds left, just get Paige the ball and get out of her way. It doesn't have to be complicated.'
Thank you

Reaction Score
This stings because it was a winnable game that should have been won, but overall a very successful season. A team that is missing half their rotation players pulling together to make a final 4 and come within 1 possession of winning. Wish Paige would have got the opportunity to decide the season on that last possession, but it is what it is..

I think a common complaint about this team in recent years has been they aren’t tough enough. They were tough tonight. They were tough to make it this far. Gave it their all

Let’s go Huskies, thank you to the seniors, and let’s take over next year!

Reaction Score
1)_ You do not make that call in that circumstance 2) It was more acting than anything else 3) What kind of an inbounds play is that? Very very disappointing. When Paige gets the ball why does she give it up? Make the play and put it in your shoulders. 4) Biggest women's basketball game of all time and you make a call you didn't make all darn game. Sickening and disgusting and once again womens basketball shows once again why it is an inferiorly officiated sport just like last year's Final. If that call was made in a men's game that ref would never be on that level again

Reaction Score
Too many self inflicted mistakes cost them this game. Iowa was much more poised in the second half and made tough shots
UConn had lots of chances to blow the game wide open in first half but threw it away a lot, or took the wrong shot, etc. They just didn't take advantage of how their defense made Iowa play badly. I think they were fatigued too. Awful ending also.

Reaction Score
Heartbreaker. I thought Geno should have played Q. Its tough when you only have one playmaker who can get her shot which was Paige. Aaliyah played well below her standards and I'm glad Geno took her out, I hope this puts some confidence in Brady. Stuelke killed us down low. Neither Brady or Aaliyah could keep up with her in transition. If we had our full complement of players we win going away. Cmon Sarah Strong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom