UCONN - Iowa post game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN - Iowa post game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't want to overstate the value of my contribution to the win, but some may remember my go to beverage during UCONN games is Mike's Hard Lemonade, Mango flavor. I nursed one during first half...then open a new one at start of 3rd qtr and the Huskies turned things around... then another at start of 4th quarter and the Huskies cemented the W...

Great Game
So Happy to play my small part!!! ;););););)

Go Huskies... love this Team!!!

Reaction Score
I keep forgetting that Dorka is out which makes these wins more enjoyable to me! Just wait until she’s back!!!! While there’s less room for fouls etc, this coaching staff knows how to make adjustments. I’m loving it…GO UCONN!!!

Reaction Score
Iowa did exactly what you need to do against a team like UConn. In essence, remember what kind of team you are, while making UConn forget what kind of team it is.

UConn was able to remember what kind of team it was, just a little bit before it was too late. Great comeback.

Reaction Score
What a game! Caroline was the difference maker in this game. Azzi did what Azzi does, as well as Edwards, Nika, Lou and Aubrey (although Aubrey gets "stuck" when she gets the ball in the paint. The freshman, Patterson, was very tough; hustled, played good defense and put backs. For my money, it was Caroline, who has had a hard time finding her footing, adding much to the scoring and rebounding. All this without Dorka. A good win! Hats off to Iowa, but I think they were gassed by the end Q3.

Reaction Score
I'm a wreck! What a game! Everyone was better than good. Minutes are going to be hard to come by on this team -- they will have to be earned! With Caroline rounding into form, Dorka coming back, Aubrey being great, etc. etc. Nika is an assist machine, and a defensive goddess. Azzi is Azzi -- she just needs to remember that sometimes. Edwards is a beast -- and a shooter, so far! Lou can flat out score. Ayanna gives hustle minutes. Have I missed anyone? :)

Reaction Score
Oh my god I thought the game was at 3 and I missed it!!! Thanks for the great summaries y’all

So disappointed in myself smh. Did Nika guard Clark?

Reaction Score
The 4th quarter was the best one for me. They really played UConn basketball with confidence and quality. Their defense at that time was excellent.

Some notables for me - Azzi really started to get engaged in the second half and was a clutch player. Caroline started to get her timing back and became an offensive player. Her defense was not too bad either. I like seeing Patterson in the game because she fights for the ball and usually comes up with it. Lou is also another clutch player. Nice to see that we have more than one. For me, our Canadian contribution was are another level and carried this team through highs and lows. Very good playing today both offensively and defensively.

However, there were some pretty sick moments during this game. However, on the up side that was a good learning experience and I am thrilled that they can come from behind like they did and achieve the victory.

Reaction Score
My favorite moment for Caroline -- out of a game full of favorite moments -- was when she stepped through a box out and took the ball aways from two Hawkeyes! That's the Caroline I remember. Sure, her offensive skills are great. But I just love her heady play in all the subtle things.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
PHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was a barn burner of a game. Back and forth, back and forth. Credit Iowa. They came to play and make a statement.

Every player on UConn made a significant contribution. We had 5 players score double figures. That makes it really difficult to beat us. This team is very intune with one another. They know what has to be done.

Can't wait until Dorka returns to the line up. We are scary good!!!!!!!!

This season is shaping up to be one crazy ride to the final four!

Reaction Score
This was also a great matchup of coaches and adjustments. Iowa matchup zoned us in the 2nd quarter and we were lost for that whole quarter. Edwards and Griffin kept us in the game.
The 2nd half Geno adjusted and Azzi got hot.
Caroline is amazing she is such a step up player. She has looked very rusty until this game and boy did she step up with 3 pointers ,blocked shots and steals. Geno played 4 guards and Aaliyah against a similar lineup from Iowa. Our 5 is better defensely and offensely. We had our best 3 pt shooters on the floor, Nika and Aaliyah who dominated Czinano.
This was our first test and we passed!!!!!!

Reaction Score
These are my favorite games. Sure I love when we blow teams out, but facing adversity and having to grind out a win only makes this team better. I love Azzi and Nika, but they get a lot of love. My shoutout is to Edwards and Ducharme.

For Edwards, that was her first matchup with a really good big. No more ONO, Dorka out, Edwards had to step up and she absolutely showed out. Edwards had her best game of the year, and held Czinano to her worst game of the year. Very impressed.

And Ducharme. Welcome back, we’ve missed you. After carrying our team for a stretch last year, she’s been having bad injury luck at the end of last year and beginning of this year. But I think Caroline is one of our best players. I love Lou, and think she’s a huge part of this team. But remember last year when we had 3 seniors, Edwards, and Dorka, Ducharme was the go to scorer. Games of 24 and 28. I hope Ducharme learns to stay aggressive because she is damn good. She just makes Uconn that much more dangerous.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Caroline does SO many things on the court - underrated post defense, tie-ups, three-pointers, midrange shots, she’s an excellent finisher and I love love love her post-ups on smaller guards. So good to see her back.
Loved everything about Caroline today, I think she provided the spark we needed in the 4th, playing her butt off while still not 100%. I think she was a tad tired in the final minutes due to her injury and that is why she missed her final 2 FTs, that really didn't matter.

I loved the game, sort of a roller coaster ride, and everyone that played, ate!

Reaction Score
Great team win!! Checking in with my doctor first thing tomorrow for an EKG and a stress test.
:confused::rolleyes:

Awesome job by AE! How about back to back games draining those jumpers! I thought that AE and Patterson did a tremendous job on Czizano. AE got hosed on that blocking foul. Czizano dipped her shoulder. I heard AE say, no problem. I will just take a charge on your bet player. She will later take a charge against Clark. Love it!

Nika surprised me. After starting the game with a few turnovers, she had 13 assists? Wowzers! Glad that she didn’t get down on herself, while also guarding one of the best offensive players in the country.

Azzi, money in the second half. CD found her footing and drained some big shots along with playing sound defense.

Aubrey did a good job in the first half. I would like her to be more decisive and trust herself. As they play more games and she gets more reps, it will come togther.

Iowa is a good team. Great shooters. However, if you run them off the 3 line and face guard Clark, they look discombobulated. I thought that UCONN was a little tired, but they persevered.

Another top 10 win in the books. On..On..On to the next one! Great job, ladies!

What a great weekend! The Huskies win and I had the pleasure of passing Napheesa, hubby and little Napheesa in Times Square yesterday on my way to see the MJ play. ;)

Reaction Score
I was wrong and surprised Muhl pretty much played Clark straight up the whole game, with an emphasis on face guarding her when she gave the ball up. This was counter to the way Muhl usually plays D, which is to attempt to be a one lady disruptive wrecking crew.
Clark will and did get hers but 25 points on 24 shots is a defensive victory, especially with 6 of the points being deep 3’s late when the game wasn’t decided but it would have taken a Uconn collapse for them to lose. All that while committing only two fouls.
The big thing was Clark never “took over”, never got on a run like Fudd did in the 3rd quarter. I believe she had 8 in the 2nd half with the aforementioned 6 late so she was by and large a non- factor during “winning time”.
One last point, kudos to the Iowa coach who set up a player in the passing lanes to prevent Muhl from getting the ball easily and pushing it up hard, that strategy really worked. Made Uconn pretty much play half court offense and they still put up 86.
Finally, just a GREAT game from Edwards……….

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Far too exciting for my taste LOL. Seriously tho, it was like a heavyweight battle of body blows. UCONN had a great Q1, crappy start to Q3 that turned into a great quarter, and Iowa had a great Q2.

Overall, a tremendous win. Much closer than most of us I think thought. It goes to show how good a team who is blessed with talented upperclassmen who have played together for several years (Iowa) can be when they are clicking. They are way more than Just Clark and Czinano. 13-36 from 3 for Iowa - 36% - a bit high for my taste - was hoping someone would cover that kid Martin LOL. They are a really tough team to play.

But UCONN found their sea legs and ended up 8-20 (40%).

A fantastic learning experience for the team. The win was incredible, but Geno will be able to go back over the tape for the team and show then things that need improvement. This team is super focused and seems incredibly coachable so I expect good things from that.

Azzi and Lou pretty much no-shows offensively in H1. Much better in H2. BUT my POG is Aaliyah. Double double and 6 assists to boot. she was a monster. Nika is well on her way to being one of my favorite all time PG's for UCONN. only 2 points and 6 TO's BUT 13 assists? COME ON. Ridiculous in a great way. Aubrey was great in the 1st half, but kind of quiet for stretches. Not her best game, but I think it will be hard to take her out of the starting lineup when Dorka comes back.

And how about Caroline? Talk about finding your sea legs. She did a lot of good things on the floor including going 3-6 from 3 and scoring 15 points. Ayanna continues to get better each game as well.

Overall a great win. Not a great MOV, but what a gutty comeback from the team - no quit in these guys.
Good post as usual Eric. You touched on all of the talking points. I had no idea THIS game would be UConn’s toughest game to this point when the schedule was announced.

This game had all of us on an emotional roller coaster. I’m tired from just watching. I enjoyed all 40 minutes of this game. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom