UConn Interest in Pitt Transfer Marcus Carr | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Interest in Pitt Transfer Marcus Carr

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
6'1 guard. Shot 39% from the field, 33% from 3. Averaged 4 assists per game and nearly 3 turnovers per game in 28 minutes per game. Was a three star out of high school according to 247

So he's Christian Vital, but he passes occasionally.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It's interesting seeing who we are targeting. My take on needs as of right now:

1. PG/Combo guard depth that can play 2018-19
2. Freshman Shooting Guard
3. C/PF that is in the 6'9+ range with some bulk. Transfer ok, unless Carlton does not return.

Carr, because he'll have 3 years left, would be in the category of #2.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Here's Carr's "Storyline" from the Pitt website:

The Storyline
  • Mature young lead guard who will compete for a starting spot in the backcourt … a team leader on and off the court, in the weight room and in conditioning
  • Competes at a high level every day and plays with the confidence of an upperclassman
  • Hard-nosed defender with a rapidly developing offensive game … uses his strength to apply steady ball pressure on defense as well as finish through contact on offense
  • Solid shooting stroke and fundamentals will make him a threat beyond the three-point line … has also shown a strong mid-range game and craftiness around the rim
  • Plays with passion and intensity that raises the level of competition in practice
  • Willing to sacrifice his body to take a charge, dive on loose balls or battle big men for position on the floor

I like what I just read. After Jalen leaves, who is a leader? Can't underestimate that quality.

Reaction Score
Remember when Ollie basically insinuated we can't recruit more guards because Vital or others will transfer out? I'm like every school has more than 3-4 total guards but us!

Think you are underestimating the leverage it gives us as a destination launching spot for grad trfrs who want to come in and play 30 mins/game.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If true, that sounds like a good depth guy to have. A year off could really help his stroke as well.

A lot of these guys on really bad teams have shooting %s that should increase on better teams. They probably didn't get as many good looks, or maybe they were forced into roles out of need rather than fit. Also, this kid was a frosh, which played into it.
See Vital,.Christian.

Reaction Score
Here's Carr's "Storyline" from the Pitt website:

The Storyline
  • Mature young lead guard who will compete for a starting spot in the backcourt … a team leader on and off the court, in the weight room and in conditioning
  • Competes at a high level every day and plays with the confidence of an upperclassman
  • Hard-nosed defender with a rapidly developing offensive game … uses his strength to apply steady ball pressure on defense as well as finish through contact on offense
  • Solid shooting stroke and fundamentals will make him a threat beyond the three-point line … has also shown a strong mid-range game and craftiness around the rim
  • Plays with passion and intensity that raises the level of competition in practice
  • Willing to sacrifice his body to take a charge, dive on loose balls or battle big men for position on the floor
sounds like ricky moore

pj

Reaction Score
Also:
  • Shabazz napier shot 32.6% as a frosh
  • Kemba shot 27.1% as a frosh

Would we want them?

Seriously, 33% for a frosh is pretty good. As is 82% free throw shooting, 10 points per game, 1.4 assist to turnover ratio for a shooting guard. If he's as good a defender as the Pitt propaganda says, he should be a top target.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
That was exactly our previous recruiting class haha

Well, sort of. Everyone talks about freshmen PG, but really Gilbert is effectively a McD AA level sophomore PG and Adams is one of the better PGs in the country as a senior. In my mind, we'll have better luck targeting a stud freshman PG next year, and bringing in experienced depth this year.

SG is the opposite. We've got Vital, who is limited and is a Junior. It's an ideal situation for a 5* or strong 4* shooting guard to come in as a freshman.

Same on the big. Whether we want a freshman or a grad transfer will depend on Carlton and how Hurley views the guys he has. We know he's targeting Akok next year, so it might be better to bring in a grad transfer there as well.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
I watched Pitt/Carr a decent amount and was never terribly impressed given how much he was talked up locally, but he was also a 3/4 Star tweener who was asked to play starters minutes in the ACC on a historically terrible team so it wasn’t exactly a prime situation.

He’s probably the best long term prospect that they had last year, so he’s worth a look at least. Just the mention of UConn being interested had my Pitt friends complaining, so I’m happy with it

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I watched Pitt/Carr a decent amount and was never terribly impressed given how much he was talked up locally, but he was also a 3/4 Star tweener who was asked to play starters minutes in the ACC on a historically terrible team so it wasn’t exactly a prime situation.

"Historically terrible"?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Well, sort of. Everyone talks about freshmen PG, but really Gilbert is effectively a McD AA level sophomore PG and Adams is one of the better PGs in the country as a senior. In my mind, we'll have better luck targeting a stud freshman PG next year, and bringing in experienced depth this year.

SG is the opposite. We've got Vital, who is limited and is a Junior. It's an ideal situation for a 5* or strong 4* shooting guard to come in as a freshman.

Same on the big. Whether we want a freshman or a grad transfer will depend on Carlton and how Hurley views the guys he has. We know he's targeting Akok next year, so it might be better to bring in a grad transfer there as well.

We really have to recruit as if Gilbert doesn't exist. He might never be hurt again, but the risk is too great not to.

Reaction Score
This is a really useful player who I think will fit the mold of the type of team Hurley's looking to put on the floor. And I think he's a very realistic get.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I want anyone who Jay Wright wants.
I want the point guards he recruits who play completely under control and can handle the ball with both hands equally well. Like Quinerly.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We really have to recruit as if Gilbert doesn't exist. He might never be hurt again, but the risk is too great not to.
Even if he comes back healthy he essentially hasn’t played organized basketball in two and a half years. That’s a lot of rust even if he was a Ferrari.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom