UConn Interest in Pitt Transfer Marcus Carr | The Boneyard

UConn Interest in Pitt Transfer Marcus Carr

Reaction Score
6'1 guard. Shot 39% from the field, 33% from 3. Averaged 4 assists per game and nearly 3 turnovers per game in 28 minutes per game. Was a three star out of high school according to 247

Reaction Score
Here's Carr's "Storyline" from the Pitt website:

The Storyline
  • Mature young lead guard who will compete for a starting spot in the backcourt … a team leader on and off the court, in the weight room and in conditioning
  • Competes at a high level every day and plays with the confidence of an upperclassman
  • Hard-nosed defender with a rapidly developing offensive game … uses his strength to apply steady ball pressure on defense as well as finish through contact on offense
  • Solid shooting stroke and fundamentals will make him a threat beyond the three-point line … has also shown a strong mid-range game and craftiness around the rim
  • Plays with passion and intensity that raises the level of competition in practice
  • Willing to sacrifice his body to take a charge, dive on loose balls or battle big men for position on the floor

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
33% from 3. I understand he's a freshman but not sure how I feel about adding another guard that's questionable at shooting from the outside.
I guess Nova shouldn’t add him to their squad of 3 point shooters

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Here's Carr's "Storyline" from the Pitt website:

The Storyline
  • Mature young lead guard who will compete for a starting spot in the backcourt … a team leader on and off the court, in the weight room and in conditioning
  • Competes at a high level every day and plays with the confidence of an upperclassman
  • Hard-nosed defender with a rapidly developing offensive game … uses his strength to apply steady ball pressure on defense as well as finish through contact on offense
  • Solid shooting stroke and fundamentals will make him a threat beyond the three-point line … has also shown a strong mid-range game and craftiness around the rim
  • Plays with passion and intensity that raises the level of competition in practice
  • Willing to sacrifice his body to take a charge, dive on loose balls or battle big men for position on the floor

If true, that sounds like a good depth guy to have. A year off could really help his stroke as well.

A lot of these guys on really bad teams have shooting %s that should increase on better teams. They probably didn't get as many good looks, or maybe they were forced into roles out of need rather than fit. Also, this kid was a frosh, which played into it.

StingLykOllie

How do I change my name...
Reaction Score
33% from 3. I understand he's a freshman but not sure how I feel about adding another guard that's questionable at shooting from the outside.

Improvement is a thing now.

Hurley guards at URI this year:

Jared Terrell shot 31% Freshman year, 41% Senior year.
Jarvis Garrett shot 27% Freshman year, 38% Senior year.
Jeff Dowtin shot shot 35% Freshman year, 38% Sophomore year.
Stanford Robinson shot 18% Freshman year, 0% (on 10 shots) Sophomore year at Indiana, bumped up to 30% Senior year at URI.

Devil's Advocate, EC Matthews was a consistent 33% 3 point shooter throughout his career. And Fatts Russell shot 29% this past year as a Freshman.

Reaction Score
Nova has interest. They think he can play so he can’t be too shabby. They like shooters down there @ nova or believe he can develop him into one.

Reaction Score

Stanford Robinson shot 18% Freshman year, 0% (on 10 shots) Sophomore year at Indiana, bumped up to 30% Senior year at URI.

Devil's Advocate, EC Matthews was a consistent 33% 3 point shooter throughout his career. And Fatts Russell shot 29% this past year as a Freshman.
But Cox was the architect of the blueprint lol

Anyone that 'Nova wants I want.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Also:
  • Shabazz napier shot 32.6% as a frosh
  • Kemba shot 27.1% as a frosh
Now if it's a grad transfer, you'd be a bit leary under 37% for his 4th and final year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sounds like a tough, energetic, defensive player. We don't need everyone to score. I like it, not like Adams will be putting any effort on that end of the court anyways.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Sounds like a tough, energetic, defensive player. We don't need everyone to score. I like it, not like Adams will be putting any effort on that end of the court anyways.

The problem here is that we are very limited with scholarships.

Really have to focus on priorities.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I would say bringing another guard into the rotation is a priority.

True, I'd say bringing in more than one is a priority. In my OP, by 'priority', I meant guys who are (or closer to) studs.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
We did just lose 3 recruits though, so we have a little breathing room to add pieces

Yeah, when I wrote that, I was thinking in my head we had 2 scholarships. totally disregarding the 3 decommits. haha Brain fart.

Reaction Score
If true, that sounds like a good depth guy to have. A year off could really help his stroke as well.

A lot of these guys on really bad teams have shooting %s that should increase on better teams. They probably didn't get as many good looks, or maybe they were forced into roles out of need rather than fit. Also, this kid was a frosh, which played into it.
Depth is nice but we need a 4 star+ PG and a bruiser PF. We fill those holes and we are a tournament team because our young players will improve under Hurley.

Reaction Score
I think guards are Coach Hurley highest prioties
Remember when Ollie basically insinuated we can't recruit more guards because Vital or others will transfer out? I'm like every school has more than 3-4 total guards but us!

Reaction Score
Remember when Ollie basically insinuated we can't recruit more guards because Vital or others will transfer out? I'm like every school has more than 3-4 total guards but us!
Lol when did he say that? Maybe the MAL thing just scared him

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom