UConn Insider Podcast: Men's Hockey Coach Mike Cavanaugh | The Boneyard

UConn Insider Podcast: Men's Hockey Coach Mike Cavanaugh

Reaction Score

>>Cavanaugh discusses the steady growth of the program in his five years at the helm (1:30); the benefits of playing in front of big, boisterous crowds in Hartford (4:15); the Huskies' confidence playing against a perennial powerhouse like BU (5:45); the surprising run by Germany in the Olympic hockey tournament (7:00); the unprecedented parity among this year's crop of Hockey East teams (8:00); the prospects of Connecticut hosting its own version of the Beanpot (9:30); the viability of Hartford as an NHL market and the staying power of the Whalers brand (12:00); the unique leadership style of senior goalie Tanner Creel (16:00); keeping tabs on his former players in the pro hockey ranks (17:30); and finally, what it will take to topple the Terriers in the hostile territory of Agganis Arena (19:00).<<

Reaction Score

>>Cavanaugh discusses the steady growth of the program in his five years at the helm (1:30); the benefits of playing in front of big, boisterous crowds in Hartford (4:15); the Huskies' confidence playing against a perennial powerhouse like BU (5:45); the surprising run by Germany in the Olympic hockey tournament (7:00); the unprecedented parity among this year's crop of Hockey East teams (8:00); the prospects of Connecticut hosting its own version of the Beanpot (9:30); the viability of Hartford as an NHL market and the staying power of the Whalers brand (12:00); the unique leadership style of senior goalie Tanner Creel (16:00); keeping tabs on his former players in the pro hockey ranks (17:30); and finally, what it will take to topple the Terriers in the hostile territory of Agganis Arena (19:00).<<

Hey @huskymedic thanks, as always, for all that you do.

I won't be able to listen to this for a while, but I'm very interested in what he had to say about a CT version of the Beanpot.

Could you give a quick summary?

Thank you!

Reaction Score
^^^ I'll answer...

Finally got to listen.
Cav and UConn are "all in" in 4x team CT tourney. UConn won't be the team holding it back. I last heard Yale is the one holding it back.
He heard "constitution cup" or naming it after Yale coach for name of trophy. Not liking the Yale idea. Maybe that will help them buy in, but it should be a CT wide name.

Interviewers mentioned the rent as a location, but cav thought the XL was best. Likes Webster bank, but mentions lack of fan support down there and overall thinks XL can handle it and with NH being only 40 minutes away. I think they'll rotate from XL to WBA once it catches on.

Decent interview. Still no decision on goalie situation.

I think huska(fri), creel(sat) and depending on how each individually performs against BU will determine Sunday(if ness)

Mentioned tanner runs player only meeting. Jokes it's called
"tanner time".

IMO, sounds like he's another leader
of the team and likes that role. May help him get the nod.

Great to have 2 goalies that can win for you and the bye week will help to evaluate.

I think without creel stepping in recently, it would have been bad to just have huska in there for 2-3 games.

Blessing to get the wins/streak and have both as options

Pumped for tmrw. Leaving right after work. Man, this place is dead lately. it better wake up for this wknd. Let's hope many show up in Boston for the wknd.

Reaction Score
^^^ I'll answer...

Finally got to listen.
Cav and UConn are "all in" in 4x team CT tourney. UConn won't be the team holding it back. I last heard Yale is the one holding it back.
He heard "constitution cup" or naming it after Yale coach for name of trophy. Not liking the Yale idea. Maybe that will help them buy in, but it should be a CT wide name.

Interviewers mentioned the rent as a location, but cav thought the XL was best. Likes Webster bank, but mentions lack of fan support down there and overall thinks XL can handle it and with NH being only 40 minutes away. I think they'll rotate from XL to WBA once it catches on.

Decent interview. Still no decision on goalie situation.

I think huska(fri), creel(sat) and depending on how each individually performs against BU will determine Sunday(if ness)

Mentioned tanner runs player only meeting. Jokes it's called
"tanner time".

IMO, sounds like he's another leader
of the team and likes that role. May help him get the nod.

Great to have 2 goalies that can win for you and the bye week will help to evaluate.

I think without creel stepping in recently, it would have been bad to just have huska in there for 2-3 games.

Blessing to get the wins/streak and have both as options

Pumped for tmrw. Leaving right after work. Man, this place is dead lately. it better wake up for this wknd. Let's hope many show up in Boston for the wknd.

Hey, thanks!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom