Men - UConn in the 2024 NCAA Baseball Tournament > Norman Oklahoma Regional > HookC Advances to Super Regionals | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Men UConn in the 2024 NCAA Baseball Tournament > Norman Oklahoma Regional > HookC Advances to Super Regionals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let's go Huskies!
Casual fan here. Question for the experts: with today's win what are our realistic chances of winning the regional?
If they win tomorrow night they have a very good chance to win the regional (would need to win 1 more game). A loss and it becomes much tougher. Must win 3 more games.

Prior to today my wagering site had them at 10-1 to win the regional. So they are playing with house money tomorrow night.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Loved how UConn's pitchers kept the 1-2-3 Kid quiet all game. Didn't figure him to be a dook fan.
20240531_171240.jpg

Reaction Score

-> “He’s a defense-first catcher,” Penders said. “I had it in my mind, we’re going to make him do something every time he’s up. We’re going to have him sacrifice or hit and run.”

Hyde was asked to bunt in his second at-bat, and didn’t get it done. In the sixth, Penders declined to pinch-hit for him with the game tied and Garbowski back at the hotel. It proved to be a fruitful decision.

Korey Morton started the inning with a walk, ended up at third after an errant pickoff throw. After two outs, the Huskies had two runners in scoring position.

“He delivered in the moment and he should feel really proud of himself,” Penders said. “The team was excited to win, but I think they were even more excited for Ryan because he means so much for our ballclub. He’s a captain, never been a front-line player, but they love him and they have good reason to. He’s one of the most unselfish people I’ve ever been around. He’s just awesome.” <-

Reaction Score
Was listening to the game today while on a hike in NH. Great win. Let's carry this momentum into another win tomorrow!

Reaction Score
Important inning in OU game. Regardless of the outcome ORU can get in the bullpen before the 5th at this pace. Still 3-0 game at this point, can’t throw anybody.

Reaction Score
I was a little worried with the not-0-2 streak coming to an end in conference play that the same would occur here. Thankfully it hasn't! We've at the very least guaranteed that in this current stretch of 10 NCAA appearances in the last 14 tournaments we still have yet to go 0-2

Reaction Score
We will likely face Braden Davis tomorrow. He has had some really bad games and really good games this year. Hopefully we get bad Davis.
And the hope was we’d be facing Davis with a bullpen that was used a little less then 24 hours later but that never happened. They didn’t even burn one reliever(29 pitches over 3 innings)!

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I've posted b4, I worked with a bunch of Pokes for years, great guy, love land grant universities. Gooners to them are our Dooks/Suckacuse. OSU Cowboy Nation are huge Husky fans tonight.

Reaction Score
Opening day:

1 seeds 14-2
2 seeds 5-10 (one game suspended)

Reaction Score
I've always had a thing for Hyde ever since he played summer ball in Norwich a few years ago.

Just wanted to add a bit on Ryan Hyde. During the 2023 season I thought he did pretty well as the backup catcher to Garbowski, and he was not a bad hitter as well. Just happened that with this season Hyde got off to a very slow start at the bat, which in addition to Matt Malcom joining the team really reduced the amount of playing time that Hyde got this season.

I get the idea that recently the coaching staff has not been happy with Malcom's defensive play behind the plate, and that his offense this season has been a bit spotty when he is not hitting with power. Because of this, it seems that Hyde has more or less become the main 2nd string catcher of late. Glad to see Hyde making a nice offensive contribution in the game yesterday. Malcom's playing time has really declined of late, no doubt partly due to the contributions Tyler Minick has been making of late with his bat.

I mentioned in several previous posts that I took a liking to Hyde when he played summer ball in Norwich a few years ago. One thing Hyde did that year in addition to getting some hits was to show a good eye at the plate, he picked up a fair number of walks that summer with Norwich.

Reaction Score
Just wanted to add a bit on Ryan Hyde. During the 2023 season I thought he did pretty well as the backup catcher to Garbowski, and he was not a bad hitter as well. Just happened that with this season Hyde got off to a very slow start at the bat, which in addition to Matt Malcom joining the team really reduced the amount of playing time that Hyde got this season.

I get the idea that recently the coaching staff has not been happy with Malcom's defensive play behind the plate, and that his offense this season has been a bit spotty when he is not hitting with power. Because of this, it seems that Hyde has more or less become the main 2nd string catcher of late. Glad to see Hyde making a nice offensive contribution in the game yesterday. Malcom's playing time has really declined of late, no doubt partly due to the contributions Tyler Minick has been making of late with his bat.

I mentioned in several previous posts that I took a liking to Hyde when he played summer ball in Norwich a few years ago. One thing Hyde did that year in addition to getting some hits was to show a good eye at the plate, he picked up a fair number of walks that summer with Norwich.
Penders mentioned that in the interview. Asked if he thought to pinch hit for Hyde he said that, at that point, he did not want to give up defense.

Reaction Score
A few random thoughts before tonight's game:
1) Tonight they will be playing a team that is very similar to them except Oklahoma does it at a higher level. Oklahoma has done a nice job of constructing a roster that is in sync with the park they play at.
2) Very nice words about Hyde by dbmill. It's obvious Hyde is a high-quality person. Don't mean to be a buzzkill but hoping Garbo is back in the lineup tonight primarily for defensive purposes (Oklahoma likes to run).
3) Assuming Oklahoma is throwing the lefty I would flip-flop Dalena and Minick in the lineup. Minick is hot so move him up and Dalena struggles against lefties. Dalena plays a very nice 1B so no thoughts of sitting him and this takes some pressure off him. He's leaving guys on base in key spots.
4) Would be very nice to have Luke start to hit. Didn't look comfortable yesterday. Most everyone else is swinging nice bats.
5) Playing for a regional final tonight so great opportunity with all the pressure on Oklahoma. Versus last year's NCAA, Florida is leaps and bounds ahead of this Oklahoma team. Uconn's SP can also last for a regional (not the case last year) with 4 true starters. Remember in Gainseville Game 2 was a bullpen game for Uconn (Sears had mono, Cookie was hurt, etc, etc.). Little less offense this year but SP can more than compensate for that.

Reaction Score
2) Very nice words about Hyde by dbmill. It's obvious Hyde is a high-quality person. Don't mean to be a buzzkill but hoping Garbo is back in the lineup tonight primarily for defensive purposes (Oklahoma likes to run).

Certainly agree with this point. Garbowski is the 1st string and best catcher for UConn, and the team would be better off if he is feeling better and able to play tonight.

Reaction Score
A few random thoughts before tonight's game:
1) Tonight they will be playing a team that is very similar to them except Oklahoma does it at a higher level. Oklahoma has done a nice job of constructing a roster that is in sync with the park they play at.
3) Assuming Oklahoma is throwing the lefty I would flip-flop Dalena and Minick in the lineup. Minick is hot so move him up and Dalena struggles against lefties. Dalena plays a very nice 1B so no thoughts of sitting him and this takes some pressure off him. He's leaving guys on base in key spots.
4) Would be very nice to have Luke start to hit. Didn't look comfortable yesterday. Most everyone else is swinging nice bats.
5) Playing for a regional final tonight so great opportunity with all the pressure on Oklahoma. Versus last year's NCAA, Florida is leaps and bounds ahead of this Oklahoma team. Uconn's SP can also last for a regional (not the case last year) with 4 true starters. Remember in Gainseville Game 2 was a bullpen game for Uconn (Sears had mono, Cookie was hurt, etc, etc.). Little less offense this year but SP can more than compensate for that.
Good point regarding Florida and last year’s Regional incl TT. No slight to Okla. I’m concerned about some situational baseball and the running themselves out of innings more then they should. Again, I don’t believe that’s on the coaching for the vast majority.

Duke looked defeated early and bitter regarding hosting. It showed and Uconn capitalized. I doubt some of the same 3-0 counts ending in K’s can be repeated along with some other mistakes that have been happening all season. They put themselves in a good spot to make that run to an unexpected Super, now try and eliminate those b/c I think their gonna need a flawless game to sit at 2-0. I’m hoping better starting pitching carries them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom