UConn in Slate [MERGED THREAD] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn in Slate [MERGED THREAD]

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I have to disagree on several points. After UConn, there is no team in the AAC as good as either Marquette or Depaul. The AAC is a mix of both public and private universities spread all over the country and makes no sense from a travel perspective, or traditional rivals. Just about all of the schools in the BE were there when UConn was in the BE. Not all universities in the BE are in fact Catholic schools.
True, but 9 out of 10 are. That's pretty Catholic.

Reaction Score
How does her playing style compare with Saniya Chong?
No disrespect to Soniya, but she was of no help until her senior season. We are going to need a lot more than that, with Katy and Pheesa gone.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
True, but 9 out of 10 are. That's pretty Catholic.
Well Geno’s certainly a Catholic, and purportedly on a first name basis with the Almighty, so we’ve got that going for us. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I would decline of course. I might tell Slate that if they were serious about publishing a piece on women's basketball UConn every 2-3 years that they might want to look at a journalist who actually covers the sport and who might be willing to do some real reporting rather than hiring a law professor who researches on the internet. Then again, I'd probably tell Slate to stick to politics.
You must have a high opinion of the average piece by journalists who cover the sport. If their real reporting usually tells you valuable things you didn't know, that's great. I personally think it's too bad you'd decline because people could learn a lot from what you have to say.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
No marquee recruits? Having watched Aubrey Griffin in person put up 37 & 31 in the NY State semis and finals, I would respectfully submit that this young lady has as much upside as any player in the HS Class of 2019.
Think Diamond DeShields with a little less athleticism and a little more discipline. Aubrey is long and fast.
Shall I assume at least a bit more of team player? :) Thanks!
Why do you suppose she is ranked at #33? Must be some downside items or rather skills that need to be improved relative to her peers' skills. Relative to college b-ball they all have some downsides.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Shall I assume at least a bit more of team player? :) Thanks!
Why do you suppose she is ranked at #33? Must be some downside items or rather skills that need to be improved relative to her peers' skills. Relative to college b-ball they all have some downsides.
Aubrey is ranked #33 mainly because she missed her Sophomore HS season with an ACL injury. The ratings have also not been updated to reflect three very important things: 1) Aubrey was one of the final cuts at USA basketball U17 team this summer 2) Aubrey was recent selection as a McDonald's AA. 3) Aubrey was recently selected as the NY Gatorade POY. That last item might be the most significant because the highest ranked NY player by ESPN for 2019 is Celeste Taylor #20. Aubrey winning this award is IMO an indication that Aubrey is a comparable player to Celeste Taylor and should be ranked just as high. Notice I said Just as high that's because while Aubrey did not make the USA U17 team this past summer Celeste did.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
No marquee recruits? Having watched Aubrey Griffin in person put up 37 & 31 in the NY State semis and finals, I would respectfully submit that this young lady has as much upside as any player in the HS Class of 2019.
Aubrey is ranked #33 mainly because she missed her Sophomore HS season with an ACL injury. The ratings have also not been updated to reflect three very important things: 1) Aubrey was one of the final cuts at USA basketball U17 team this summer 2) Aubrey was recent selection as a McDonald's AA. 3) Aubrey was recently selected as the NY Gatorade POY. That last item might be the most significant because the highest ranked NY player by ESPN for 2019 is Celeste Taylor #20. Aubrey winning this award is IMO an indication that Aubrey is a comparable player to Celeste Taylor and should be ranked just as high. Notice I said Just as high that's because while Aubrey did not make the USA U17 team this past summer Celeste did.
Thanks!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thanks!
BTW just to connect a few more dots. Cleste Taylor plays for Long Island Lutheran. Natalija Marshall plays for Christ the King and is the #12 ranked player in the class of 2020. @donalddoowop has posted the schedule of games and @Alydar has posted a link for the game. You can see for yourself but I would be surprised if Aubrey is not the best player on any of the teams playing this weekend. @oldude you might want to repost that scouting report of Aubrey and spread the knowledge.

Christ The King vs Long Island Lutheran Friday at 2:45 pm EDT
Ossining vs South Shore Friday at 4:30 pm EDT
Championship Game Saturday at 6:45 pm EDT
The Class "A" games will be played at 9:30 am and 11:15 am on Friday. Spellman vs Staten Island Academy
James Madison vs Mendon. Championship game is Saturday at 4:45 pm EDT
All games, including the boys, will be on the NFHS Network.

Ossining/Griffin play in the NY Federation Championships semis on Sat at about 4:30pmEDT. Here's a link to the live stream.
New York State Federation Basketball Tournament - Official Site

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Aubrey was under the radar because of her injury. Her father was a tough player, and Aubrey has those genes. Aubrey has a wealth of athleticism and skill. And Geno says she's the nicest kid in the world. I wish we had a larger class, but Aubrey will help us a lot.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
BTW just to connect a few more dots. Cleste Taylor plays for Long Island Lutheran. Natalija Marshall plays for Christ the King and is the #12 ranked player in the class of 2020. @donalddoowop has posted the schedule of games and @Alydar has posted a link for the game. You can see for yourself but I would be surprised if Aubrey is not the best player on any of the teams playing this weekend. @oldude you might want to repost that scouting report of Aubrey and spread the knowledge.
Aubrey was the second best player I saw at the December tourney at Paul VI--better than Marshall, Owusu, et al. The only better player was Azzi Fudd.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom