UConn in Slate [MERGED THREAD] | The Boneyard

UConn in Slate [MERGED THREAD]

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No marquee recruits? Having watched Aubrey Griffin in person put up 37 & 31 in the NY State semis and finals, I would respectfully submit that this young lady has as much upside as any player in the HS Class of 2019.

Reaction Score
We’re No. … 2?

The UConn Women Didn’t Get a No. 1 Seed in the NCAA Tournament. Huh?

"The disappointment of getting placed next to a No. 2 in the bracket is the latest in a string of them for the Huskies, who failed to reach the national championship game the last two seasons. Next year could be even worse.."

"Azurá Stevens transferred to UConn from Duke. She had two years of eligibility left and the option to go pro after her first year. Geno treated her like his other star first-year players. He didn’t give Stevens the minutes that her play warranted. Many observers, including this one, believed she was the best player on the team last year and could have been the best player in the country this year. But UConn lost to Notre Dame in the Final Four as Stevens sat on the bench for 17 minutes of game time, while seniors who were less talented (and a half-foot shorter) played the whole game or close to it."

"...t’s possible that his choice cost UConn the 2018 and 2019 national titles."

And it gets even nastier. Wow!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't believe the BY rules "fully" allow me express my disgust without ending up being banned or in the cesspool. As Geno has said: UCONN must go undefeated to get a number 1 seed every year.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
No marquee recruits? Having watched Aubrey Griffin in person put up 37 & 31 in the NY State semis and finals, I would respectfully submit that this young lady has as much upside as any player in the HS Class of 2019.

How does her playing style compare with Saniya Chong?

Reaction Score
This piece is really very silly. The writer seems to be looking at some made up measuring stick where the only way UConn is successful is if they get every recruit and win every game from now until forever. As a fan, I’m happy if they play well, represent the University and my state well and provide entertainment during long Connecticut winters. Anything else is a bonus.

Reaction Score
Not a bad article, but time is not on UConn's side. Geno isn't going to weather another five (or six or seven) year drought at his age. He will eventually get annoyed at the headwinds he is facing that he cannot change. Recruiting is hard work, more so now than ever before, and today's kids are fickle, distracted, and easily influenced by shiny objects. The conference we are stuck in certainly does us no favors either.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I don't believe the BY rules "fully" allow me express my disgust without ending up being banned or in the cesspool. As Geno has said: UCONN must go undefeated to get a number 1 seed every year.

UCONN did lose to two number ones and their strength of schedule is lower than probably a 2 seed even warrants. They would have to face Louisville in the Albany final in any case. If they are as good as they believe they are and you do, then it matters not.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Oh for god's sakes. The author is an obscure law professor at Loyola University in Chicago. A google search will turn up an article he wrote about UConn in 2017. Does anyone really care what Bronsteen thinks about UConn or Geno? Maybe this is about headlines and clicks. Seriously, apply a filter please.

Reaction Score
Since Stewart graduated, there hasn’t been another star of her magnitude to fill the void. UConn has been led by Katie Lou Samuelson and Napheesa Collier, two seniors who are great players but not among the greatest of all time.

lol what? They are both in the top 5 in scoring and were both All-Americans as Sophomores. Lou is one of the greatest three point shooters in college history and Pheesa is averaging a double double in a NPOY like year. What does one need to do be be among the greats of all time if thats not getting you in?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
How does her playing style compare with Saniya Chong?
Saniya may have been a little better outside shooter and probably Aubrey’s equal as a passer. In every other area there is no comparison. Aubrey is better. What truly sets Aubrey apart from just about every recruit I’ve ever seen is her ability to break down a defender off the dribble. In case you haven’t seen the highlight of Aubrey from the state championship posted by Sluconn. take a look and see what you think.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Saniya may have been a little better outside shooter and probably Aubrey’s equal as a passer. In every other area there is no comparison. Aubrey is better. What truly sets Aubrey apart from just about every recruit I’ve ever seen is her ability to break down a defender off the dribble. In case you haven’t seen the highlight of Aubrey from the state championship posted by Sluconn. take a look and see what you think.

Thank you!

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
lol what? They are both in the top 5 in scoring and were both All-Americans as Sophomores. Lou is one of the greatest three point shooters in college history and Pheesa is averaging a double double in a NPOY like year. What does one need to do be be among the greats of all time if thats not getting you in?

Win four consecutive national championships. Obviously.

Reaction Score
Is the article really as negative as most are saying? It calls Geno "maybe the greatest coach in the history of not just basketball but any regularly televised American sport." And it ends with this: "Give it two or three years, and most fans will have forgotten that Geno Auriemma’s Huskies ever fell from their perch at all." There's a lot of discussion of why UConn is a 2-seed and didn't win the last two titles, which includes criticism of the use of Azura Stevens, but it's nothing close to a hit piece. The author's 2016 article was downright fawning.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
We’re No. … 2?

The UConn Women Didn’t Get a No. 1 Seed in the NCAA Tournament. Huh?

"The disappointment of getting placed next to a No. 2 in the bracket is the latest in a string of them for the Huskies, who failed to reach the national championship game the last two seasons. Next year could be even worse.."

"Azurá Stevens transferred to UConn from Duke. She had two years of eligibility left and the option to go pro after her first year. Geno treated her like his other star first-year players. He didn’t give Stevens the minutes that her play warranted. Many observers, including this one, believed she was the best player on the team last year and could have been the best player in the country this year. But UConn lost to Notre Dame in the Final Four as Stevens sat on the bench for 17 minutes of game time, while seniors who were less talented (and a half-foot shorter) played the whole game or close to it."

"...t’s possible that his choice cost UConn the 2018 and 2019 national titles."

And it gets even nastier. Wow!
SO....why then, do you bother to watch and post? Negative attitudes do not create good company, which is a shame in your case as, at times I have enjoyed reading some of your posts, but lately your views being shared Leave a lot to be desired.

Enjoy the journey, not just the end result and certainly remember that these are someone else’s 18, 19, 20 and 21 year-old daughters who are student athletes.

Let’s try to raise each other up, not tear each other down.

Reaction Score
I thought the author made a few relevant comments. But to say that Azura was the best player on last years team and sat for 17 minutes against ND while other less talented players who were 6 inches shorter played... is nuts! He also says Walker hasn’t developed (yes she has) and Danger is just good (I think she’s one of the top 2-3 PGs in the country) is just plain silly.

Reaction Score
I thought the author made a few relevant comments. But to say that Azura was the best player on last years team and sat for 17 minutes against ND while other less talented players who were 6 inches shorter played... is nuts! He also says Walker hasn’t developed (yes she has) and Danger is just good (I think she’s one of the top 2-3 PGs in the country) is just plain silly.

This is a fair critique.

One note: The article doesn't exactly say that Walker hasn't developed -- and you're right, she definitely has -- but rather that she "has continued to fall short of expectations as a sophomore." That statement is probably true considering her expectations as not just a #1 overall recruit but, according to some of the hype, an unusually good overall #1 recruit; and considering Geno's track record of turning such players into sophomore stars. I've always been a fan of Walker's, but so far she hasn't done what some other #1-types tend to do at UConn by their second year. Hopefully she'll make the leap to stardom next year, which I think is very possible and perhaps likely.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

This post is probably closest to my feelings. What really drove me nuts was that the article strongly implied that Azure went to the WNBA because of misuse. Please. She went because she saw a 1st round opportunity. Azure had a strong game against ND and I could see where he might have been criticized for his rotations in that game but overall, she was a mercurial player with significant weaknesses (remember her 3pt shooting/ limited rebounding etc) which Geno wanted to help her improve in her senior year.

Reaction Score
This post is probably closest to my feelings. What really drove me nuts was that the article strongly implied that Azure went to the WNBA because of misuse. Please. She went because she saw a 1st round opportunity. Azure had a strong game against ND and I could see where he might have been criticized for his rotations in that game but overall, she was a mercurial player with significant weaknesses (remember her 3pt shooting/ limited rebounding etc) which Geno wanted to help her improve in her senior year.
I was at that FF game and thought Azure sat b/c of her defense... or lack of such.

Reaction Score
Maybe a little hype, but otherwise I thought the author was pretty much spot-on. Unbiased and objective.

He’s far from a close follower of the program, though. A total outsider could put that piece together from Wikipedia, and reading the Boneyard, in an hour (just search “Charlieball”). Being “objective” doesn’t mean he has any clue about the heart and soul of this program, not to mention what schemes G might be working to get a player or 2 in here next year.

I expect KLS and Phee to leave with another NC, and to leave the program in good hands.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom