UConn-Illinois December 10, 2000- Thanks, DaddyChoc! | The Boneyard

UConn-Illinois December 10, 2000- Thanks, DaddyChoc!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
So, I took DC up on his offer for a free copy of UConn-Illinois from 12/10/00. Why am I posting about it? Well, because it's been too long since a game was played, and I don't have anything else to say about UConn-Baylor.

Let's be clear: a lot of people, myself absolutely included, have been talking about how loaded UConn will be the next couple of seasons, but when we talk loaded UConn teams, the line has to start behind 2000-01. In 2000, UConn went 37-1 and won a NC in dominant fashion, and 2002 was arguably the best WCBB team of all time. In between was the 2001 team that, at full strength, featured ALL EIGHT unique starters from the 2000 and 2002 squads. And that's not even counting kids like Maria Conlon, who went on to have heroic performances at PG on the 2003 and 2004 championship teams. That team had three high school #1s on it...and two of them came off the bench. It had five Huskies of Honor members: Bird, DT, Svet, Swin, and Shea. In Sue, D, Shea, Cash, and Asjha, you had five of UConn's fiercest competitors ever. Of course, we know what happened. UConn couldn't stay healthy, and went into the NCAAs with a starting five that had never played together as the starting five. The lack of continuity ultimately did UConn in.

Some other thoughs:
  • As beloved and respected as Svet was, I think her injury her senior year caused her to be underrated. If she'd stayed healthy, she'd be mentioned in the same breath as Maya and D. I firmly believe that. She would be ahead of her time if she were entering WCBB now. In 2000-01, she might as well have been from another planet. No one had her size, smoothness, passing ability, and shooting ability in one package.
  • KML is light years ahead of where D was at the same point in her own college career. Not saying she'll have the same career trajectory...just sayin' ;)
  • In an ideal world, Morgan Tuck has Asjha Jones's physique and Swin's ball skills. In an ideal world...
  • Shea was out of this world in this one game, but she actually did not put up big numbers consistently as a redshirt senior. I actually could see Doty having a similar role next year, but hopefully without the career-ending injury.
  • Every team could use a Morgan Valley. Could Banks be that and more next year?
  • In the Illinois game, Geno once did a wholesale five-for-five substitution. Will we see that next season?
  • Bria's ceiling is Sue/Rene-caliber. Can she get there? Stay tuned.
  • As talented defensively as this 2000-01 team was, there was no one like Kelly Faris who you could sick on a PG or a PF. KF has made a huge leap on D this season. Heaven help WCBB if she's better next year.
The future is very bright, but it was fun checking out this blast from the past. Thank again, DC!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Shea was a BEAST in that game...

(wow made it there in one day, put in a outside box Thursday morning!)

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I agree with you about Svet. I think a lot of people have forgotten how good she was. I still can recall my dad saying "as long as we've got that Russian kid there's no way Uconn loses."

Reaction Score
Oh yeah, 12/10/00-- that was the same day UConn men's soccer won the NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP in Charlotte, N.C...... !!! --and the story went that SHEA told the Women's team about that at halftime of their game in Champaign ....

Reaction Score
So, I took DC up on his offer for a free copy of UConn-Illinois from 12/10/00. Why am I posting about it? Well, because it's been too long since a game was played, and I don't have anything else to say about UConn-Baylor.

Let's be clear: a lot of people, myself absolutely included, have been talking about how loaded UConn will be the next couple of seasons, but when we talk loaded UConn teams, the line has to start behind 2000-01. In 2000, UConn went 37-1 and won a NC in dominant fashion, and 2002 was arguably the best WCBB team of all time. In between was the 2001 team that, at full strength, featured ALL EIGHT unique starters from the 2000 and 2002 squads. And that's not even counting kids like Maria Conlon, who went on to have heroic performances at PG on the 2003 and 2004 championship teams. That team had three high school #1s on it...and two of them came off the bench. It had five Huskies of Honor members: Bird, DT, Svet, Swin, and Shea. In Sue, D, Shea, Cash, and Asjha, you had five of UConn's fiercest competitors ever. Of course, we know what happened. UConn couldn't stay healthy, and went into the NCAAs with a starting five that had never played together as the starting five. The lack of continuity ultimately did UConn in.

Some other thoughs:
  • As beloved and respected as Svet was, I think her injury her senior year caused her to be underrated. If she'd stayed healthy, she'd be mentioned in the same breath as Maya and D. I firmly believe that. She would be ahead of her time if she were entering WCBB now. In 2000-01, she might as well have been from another planet. No one had her size, smoothness, passing ability, and shooting ability in one package.
  • KML is light years ahead of where D was at the same point in her own college career. Not saying she'll have the same career trajectory...just sayin' ;)
  • In an ideal world, Morgan Tuck has Asjha Jones's physique and Swin's ball skills. In an ideal world...
  • Shea was out of this world in this one game, but she actually did not put up big numbers consistently as a redshirt senior. I actually could see Doty having a similar role next year, but hopefully without the career-ending injury.
  • Every team could use a Morgan Valley. Could Banks be that and more next year?
  • In the Illinois game, Geno once did a wholesale five-for-five substitution. Will we see that next season?
  • Bria's ceiling is Sue/Rene-caliber. Can she get there? Stay tuned.
  • As talented defensively as this 2000-01 team was, there was no one like Kelly Faris who you could sick on a PG or a PF. KF has made a huge leap on D this season. Heaven help WCBB if she's better next year.
The future is very bright, but it was fun checking out this blast from the past. Thank again, DC!

The future is very bright, but it was fun checking out this blast from the past. Thank again, DC![/quote]

Counting Jessica Moore the 2000-01 roster ended up with 10 WNBA Draft Picks

That team roster consisted of Starters-Abrosimova, Ralph, Bird, Schmacher, & Cash. 1st Team Subs-Jones, Williams, Taurasi, & K.Johnson, 2nd Team Subs-Battle, Conlon, M.Valley, Rigby, & Czel. Injured--Keirston Walters. Red-Shirted-Jessica Moore.

Season Ending Injuries--Ashley Battle after game 5. Abrosimova after game 19.
Ralph after game 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger