UCONN / Houston - The View from Section 107 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN / Houston - The View from Section 107

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've noticed that BS rarely engages in conversation with other players on the sideline or even on the field. At least that's the way it looks on TV and at the home games I've attended. Wonder what's up with that. Just his style I guess but I'd like to see him be more vocal.

Yeah. I'm right behind the Uconn bench. You can tell that he is well liked. My wife says he is a pretty boy, with the curls and all. (I can't judge those things). He is popular and somewhat quiet, you can see that. Nice smile, but doesn't talk all that much except on the phone. Not animated. Seems like a nice kid, he's going to do well in life. You can see him in an exclusive golf club.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised by all that, since everyone talks about football ratings constantly. Thanks for putting it in perspective. I'd note that basketball games do even better in Connecticut.
I would imagine Uconn is a bigger draw than UH is in each respective markets. However, Houston is in a pro sports market and it's harder than you'd think being within 5 miles of an NFL stadium. I feel for USF, Temple etc.. on these last two Thursday games Cincinnati and Uconn there have been pretty irrelevant NFL games which kill us in ratings.

To the Uconn fans who made the trip, I'm glad it wasn't a humid hot September night, it was relatively cool for Houston. I know you probably didn't enjoy the on the field performance very much, but I'm willing to bet you feel better than UH fans did last year on the way back from Connecticut.

Good luck the rest of the season and thanks for the kind words.

Reaction Score
I would imagine Uconn is a bigger draw than UH is in each respective markets. However, Houston is in a pro sports market and it's harder than you'd think being within 5 miles of an NFL stadium. I feel for USF, Temple etc.. on these last two Thursday games Cincinnati and Uconn there have been pretty irrelevant NFL games which kill us in ratings.

To the Uconn fans who made the trip, I'm glad it wasn't a humid hot September night, it was relatively cool for Houston. I know you probably didn't enjoy the on the field performance very much, but I'm willing to bet you feel better than UH fans did last year on the way back from Connecticut.

Good luck the rest of the season and thanks for the kind words.

Fans were great. Go win out and represent!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yep gotta say I am rooting for Coogs the rest of the way. Good for them to represent the AAC and the G5.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Football is HUGE in Texas and the Houston area is no exception
There are high school games that draw as many as most UConn home games
That being said - UConn can only hope they get to the current UH point in rabid fans
The product on the field plays a HUGE part but UConn football just isn't a draw right now
The Houston basketball fans I am sure envy our UConn mens and lady teams

I am happy to hear that they treated the UConn fans with a good degree of respect

Someday, Someday but I fear this staff and talent level is not the answer - just hope I am wrong

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
That's not a good # though for Houston.

I mean, the UConn women BB do a 8 or 9 in Connecticut.

Yes, it's a good number. A 4.0 rating is generally accepted as a good local number. 6.2 is very good.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I was dead behind the UCONN bench - around the 45 yard line. 7 rows up. I'm sure there were more than 10 UCONN fans in the building, but standing there and panning around (I have pics I will post) - you couldn't see anything but red. Maybe 100? And I'm not really complaining. I just thought it was odd. Never have I felt so alone! (lol)

What I also got to see from my seats:
  • Noel Thomas rip BS a new one after missing that 2nd potential touchdown throw - and BS just keep saying "my bad" again and again. This was very telling - and went on for a couple of minutes. That cannot bode well for team chemistry.
  • Hergy beat himself up after that drop.
  • Noel Thomas killing it. The Houston fans were very impressed.
  • Overall - the team was engaged and didn't seem too down. They were getting on themselves for the mistakes they were making, but they were blaming themselves mostly and not acting like they were up against an unstoppable force.
The Houston fans were very nice - really appreciated that I came to the game and jabbed a little that this is payback for last year, but they were very good natured about it. Nobody heckled me or anything.

Overall - a great place to watch a game, a solid fanbase, and a great team. Student section was awesome - they had the thundersticks going all night (we should do that). They do serve beer in the stadium, which was nice.

As to the game? I'm not BL and it has been ripped to shreds already, but here is a quick take:

They are a LOT better than us - so we didn't have much of a chance to win. However, we should have only lost by 2 scores had the players not made terrible decisions (penalties) and mistakes.

Happy to answer any other questions if I can - but I would put that on the list of places to go - great atmosphere.

And DEFINITELY more than 32K in the house. We haven't seen a crowd like that at the Rent since Michigan - so I'd save the high and mighty act that they don't sell out. It was close enough.

Agree with everything except...

NO THUNDERSTICKS!

Dooley

Reaction Score
Noel Thomas rip BS a new one after missing that 2nd potential touchdown throw - and BS just keep saying "my bad" again and again. This was very telling - and went on for a couple of minutes. That cannot bode well for team chemistry.

Thomas was visibly frustrated after the 1st miss on the field. I'd rather have him get after BS on the sidelines than on the field of play. He was open twice and had 3-4 steps on his defender. Better thrown balls were easy TDs. I can't blame Thomas for the frustration - he came to play Thursday night and showed why he's one of the top WRs in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom