UConn hosting NCAA Youth Development Camp | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn hosting NCAA Youth Development Camp

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Bradley isn't exactly hard to flight into, sure but everything is a connection. It isn't like flying into ATL, LGA or BOS. I support UConn but choosing UConn has a venue makes no sense.

Reaction Score
Anyone else feel like Emmert is trying to set us up? Beware of kick-in-the-nuts.

Reaction Score
I am reading on Twitter all this outrage Bc UConn is hard to get to, but it’s legit 40 min from an airport, half way (pretty much) between New York and Boston which is probably why it was chosen. Has nba facilities. UConn is in the middle of nowhere but it’s not hard to get to

No surprise, BC's default setting is to always complain about UConn basketball. Maybe after they win a NCAA title or 4, their complaints can have more credibility. Plus, UConn's facilities are top-notch and are compact with Gampel and Werth right next to each other. That said, I do agree there should be a camp in the Southeast, too.

Other options Northeast options that escludes other football-first schools (like Penn State):
  • BC (Boston) - NO: BC's basketball training facilities are smaller, their on-campus arena is typically configured for ice hockey, and hotel rates for families (I assume ballers stay in the dorms) are astronomical in Boston in the summer.
  • Syracuse - NO: At least 2 hours further away from the major Northeast cities than Storrs and their primary basketball venue, the Carrier Dome, is set-up for lacrosse and football in the summer, not basketball.
  • Fordham (NYC) - NO: Historical basketball gym; but, limited practice facilities
  • Rutgers (NYC) - NO: Their main venue, the RAC, is a dump (their own alumna's words, not mine) and lack separate practice facilities.
  • Pittsburgh - YES: Petersen contain both Ptt's main basketball arena and basketball practice facilities, though Petersen itself is heavily utilized for other events by the University and local community.
  • Temple (Philly) - YES: Has both an on-campus arena (Liacouras) and a dedicated facility (Pearson-McGonigle Hall), though location in a 'rough' but getting better neighborhood maybe a tough sell.
  • Villanova (Philly) - YES: Just rebuilt DuPont (now Finnenran) as their on-campus basketball arenas and built a new dedicated practice facility (Davis) next door.
  • Maryland (DC) - NO: Has an on-campus arena; but, does not appear to have a dedicated basketball practice facility, though such facilities maybe located in the basketball arena (Xnfinity) of the new football practice facility (Cole).
  • Georgetown (DC) - NO: Hotel rates will be lower than the NYC and Boston (though no one wants to go to DC in the summer heat) and they have a dedicated practice facility (Thompson); but, their on-campus gym (McDonough) only holds 2,500 and their main game arena (Verizon) is off-campus, not owned by the University and hosts a range of otehr events (Wizard, Caps, etc.)
So, in summary, UConn makes sense, though I am surprised that Villanova wasn't picked as its a big name, has facilities, and is located in between NYC and DC with easy acess (including a commuter train) right to campus. That said, it could be a schedule issue as many universities host various sport camps all summer.

Last edited:

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Keep on rebuilding that momentum. NCAA tournament in Hartford in March, camps this summer, and wait until you see that team next year ...

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I just love the irony of everyone for years on this board saying Storrs is hard to get to and now were all talking about how easy of a place it is to drive to :D

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I just love the irony of everyone for years on this board saying Storrs is hard to get to and now were all talking about how easy of a place it is to drive to :D
We need an on campus airport.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom