UConn Hockey: Limiting Mistakes Is Focus For RPI | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Hockey: Limiting Mistakes Is Focus For RPI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's nonsense. They wouldn't build it for that because the current rink is fine for that purpose. As stated, XL will be used for highly sought after games, BC, BU, ND...games we might have against Michigan or what have you. I think it makes sense during winter break as well. Everything else will be on campus.
Holiday break games in Hartford would be a good idea, but in order to build a fan base (read: current students become fans, continue following after they graduate) the big games need to be accessible to them on campus.

Reaction Score
UConn will be playing almost all its home games at the XL Center for a very long time. The Storrs facility will be mainly women's games and smaller non-conference men's opponents and exhibitions.. if that. That's it!
You very clearly have a bad source. The women's team will be playing solely at Freitas if a new facility on campus is built. They'll have their own practice and playing facility there to themselves - which will be a major recruiting tool and key to that program being successful. They will not build a new facility and place the women's team there when a facility for them already exists.

Reaction Score
Go ask the players what the story is. They expect to play all their games in Hartford. The on campus rink is just an idea at this point, nothing is set in stone. However, there is no chance they will develop a fanbase in Hartford then leave spare a few big games. Not a chance. Unless they're forced out of the building.

Reaction Score
You very clearly have a bad source. The women's team will be playing solely at Freitas if a new facility on campus is built. They'll have their own practice and playing facility there to themselves - which will be a major recruiting tool and key to that program being successful. They will not build a new facility and place the women's team there when a facility for them already exists.

Are you saying that when the new ice hockey facility is built on campus, the women's team won't use it? I seriously doubt that would happen. I would think the women's team would move to the new facility as well, and playing in the new rink would really help their recruiting efforts as well. And given their records in recent years, they could use that sort of help.

Reaction Score
Are you saying that when the new ice hockey facility is built on campus, the women's team won't use it? I seriously doubt that would happen. I would think the women's team would move to the new facility as well, and playing in the new rink would really help their recruiting efforts as well. And given their records in recent years, they could use that sort of help.
Playing in their own facility that they use exclusively would MASSIVELY help recruiting. They would be one of about two or three schools in the country who have that luxury. BU and Minnesota are the only two I can think of offhand. I can tell you from very, very, very, close to the program sources that BU's womens program having Walter Brown Arena as their exclusive facility has been an enormous advantage and part of the reason why having only been a D1 program for nine full seasons, they've won four Hockey East tournament championships, made the last five consecutive NCAA tournaments, and have played in two national championships. If UConn builds a new rink and forces the women's team to split time in there instead of using Freitas as their exclusive home, they'd be utter fools. If they want to play a game or two every year in the new place to draw some fans, that's one thing, but it would be a mistake of epic proportions to not give Freitas exclusively to the women's program and have that be their facility for practice and games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom