UCONN Hockey Classic XL Center 7pm 29th & Mon 30th (4 or 7 pm) | The Boneyard

UCONN Hockey Classic XL Center 7pm 29th & Mon 30th (4 or 7 pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"The UConn Huskies play host to the 21st Annual UConn Hockey Classic being held at the XL Center in Hartford for the first time in the event's history. The No. 8 nationally ranked Quinnipiac Bobcats and UMass Minutemen will open the tournament (4 pm) while the Huskies will battle Atlantic Hockey rival Sacred Heart in game two (7 pm).

The winners move on to Monday night's title game (7 pm) preceded by the consolation game (4 pm). The Huskies and Pioneers will meet in an AHA match-up after UConn posted a 4-2 win in a non-conference tilt between the two schools back on November 2nd at home."

Rest of the article linked above.

Reaction Score
Wish I could be there. QU whipped UMass, 6-1 earlier this seasonn. Was there, had fun taunting the UMass hockey team before the game saying we own them, showing off my UConn hoodie. Some laughed. They weren't laughing when QU started getting goals. They were stretching on the walkway. ECAC games are excellent.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Did they attempt to bury it by scheduling it on a Sunday night? Based on the pics on Twitter there are about 500 there.

Reaction Score
UCONN/Sacred Heart is being streamed online (WHUS). UCONN down 3-0 at the start of the 3rd period

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It wasn't an ATTEMPT to bury it, the tournament is always the last Sun/Mon before the new year. Would be nice if the main UConn twitter account could mention the game this afternoon, but not a huge complaint.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It wasn't an ATTEMPT to bury it, the tournament is always the last Sun/Mon before the new year. Would be nice if the main UConn twitter account could mention the game this afternoon, but not a huge complaint.

So it's just a nice bonus that it happened that way.

Reaction Score
So, it's future Hockey East foe UMess in Monday's 4 pm consolation game. Not a convenient time for people working even during a slow week, but a better time for young kids on school vacation. Wonder if UCONN's tried to hook in some of CT's best youth hockey programs ... Hamden, West Haven, Fairfield County, some around Hartford? Science museum, then hockey game ... Just sayin'

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Da_Aisijimo_Gou said:
So, it's future Hockey East foe UMess in Monday's 4 pm consolation game. Not a convenient time for people working even during a slow week, but a better time for young kids on school vacation. Wonder if UCONN's tried to hook in some of CT's best youth hockey programs ... Hamden, West Haven, Fairfield County, some around Hartford? Science museum, then hockey game ... Just sayin'

That's a really good idea...that won't happen.

Reaction Score
I was at the UMass game. Don't exactly know the crowd, but I'd estimate 2500 or so but its purely a guess. It was a very good college hockey game. UConn started a frosh in the net and he was terrific. Kept them in the game in the 1st period, when the Huskies appeared to be sleepwalking as they apparently did Sunday night too. But they woke up between periods and really played UMass even. The kid in goal made a couple of other great stops and the Umass goaltender made some too. UConn scored 26 seconds into the third on a really nice play, and it looked like that might hold up for a while since the Huskies seemed to be controlling play and the kid was stopping everyhting in sight. UMass evened the score on a messy scrum in front of the UConn net but UConn scored on a very pretty power play with about 4-5 minutes left and played very well late. I thought that Umass looked to have better overall talent, faster and stronger players as you'd sort of expect from a Hockey East club,but UConn was tougher once they got untracked. They hit more and threw bodies in front of pucks. Often consolation games in these tournies have the feeling of being after thoughts, but this one had a feel of a real game, I htought. the Huskies were trying to show they belonged on the same ice with a Hockey East opponent and UMass was trying to show the upstarts what the game was about. the kid in goal was the difference.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Granted that's not a great UMass team, but it's nice to see UC Hockey sending a message that we will not be the doormat of our new conference. I'm also excited that Nichols played well in the net. It's such a key spot it gives reason for optimism after Grogan departs.

Reaction Score
I was at the UMass game. Don't exactly know the crowd, but I'd estimate 2500 or so but its purely a guess. It was a very good college hockey game. UConn started a frosh in the net and he was terrific. Kept them in the game in the 1st period, when the Huskies appeared to be sleepwalking as they apparently did Sunday night too. But they woke up between periods and really played UMass even. The kid in goal made a couple of other great stops and the Umass goaltender made some too. UConn scored 26 seconds into the third on a really nice play, and it looked like that might hold up for a while since the Huskies seemed to be controlling play and the kid was stopping everyhting in sight. UMass evened the score on a messy scrum in front of the UConn net but UConn scored on a very pretty power play with about 4-5 minutes left and played very well late. I thought that Umass looked to have better overall talent, faster and stronger players as you'd sort of expect from a Hockey East club,but UConn was tougher once they got untracked. They hit more and threw bodies in front of pucks. Often consolation games in these tournies have the feeling of being after thoughts, but this one had a feel of a real game, I htought. the Huskies were trying to show they belonged on the same ice with a Hockey East opponent and UMass was trying to show the upstarts what the game was about. the kid in goal was the difference.

goalmouthradio3:37pm via Twitter for Android
UConn goaltender Robby Nichols named AHA Rookie of the Week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom