UConn Hires 75 Faculty Since July 1; Expected To Hire 120 More Next Year | The Boneyard

UConn Hires 75 Faculty Since July 1; Expected To Hire 120 More Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The University of Connecticut's faculty hiring plan is going "full speed" ahead, President Susan Herbst told the board of trustees Wednesday, with the hiring of 75 faculty since July 1 and plans to hire 120 more next year.
The expansion is under way despite an impending cut in the state's block grant for UConn expected to be about $16 million.
"It's very important that we protect the academic mission for students and faculty…" Herbst said, and proceed "full speed ahead with the faculty hiring plan as it's laid out … Building the research faculty and teaching faculty is really job one for us."

The four-year hiring plan — supported by plans to raise tuition gradually during the same four years — calls for an increase of 275 faculty. If carried out, the program will reduce the ratio of professors to students from 18 to 1, down to 15 to 1.
The lower ratio is considered important, not only to enhance the academic experience for students, but also to ensure that students can get the classes they need to graduate within four or five years. The ratio is also an important factor in national rankings, including U.S. News & World Report, which placed UConn at No. 21 this year on its list of public universities.
Herbst's comments were echoed by Board Chairman Lawrence McHugh who said, "We will continue to move this university forward to be what we should be: one of the top universities in the country."

http://www.courant.com/news/education/hc-uconn-hires-faculty-1213-20121212,0,555269.story

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
on the uss ct, there is no such thing as a coincidence.

her use of the term "full speed" was not used in her interview with the chron of higher ed.
we have been spoken to.

there is a boneyard elf on the shelf here

I know it is just coincidence, but can you imagine if this was some sort of very well crafted coded message to the USS Connecticut? That would be pretty badass and ****ing awesome.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
ppl thought i was kidding around and full of a couple weeks ago with the #winning ref susan and warde made. whats your excuse this time?

FULL SPEED AHEAD!!!!!!!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Do any of them play cornerback?

Reaction Score
ppl thought i was kidding around and full of **** a couple weeks ago with the #winning ref susan and warde made. whats your excuse this time?

FULL ****ING SPEED AHEAD!!!!!!!

FYI, there are several schools that have shot up in the US News rankings in recent years by focusing on building out the academic side. A couple of these schools even joined the AAU as a big football school was being kicked out. Still others, like Rutgers and Syracuse, dropped like rocks in the rankings as academics took a hit, and athletics bled.

The correlation between top academics and athletics is now nebulous at best. No doubt, bball has helped Uconn academics, and football helped BC and ND, not to mention whatever the hell is going on in Boise, but for the vast majority, it seems like you're better off focusing on academics in this environment. The payoff is bigger. Look at Boston U., they cut football, and the school has developed an international reputation that far exceeds what is going on up the road in Newton. New York U. has shot up the rankings as well. U. Chicago became the nation's biggest research school. The Cal's other than UCLA and Berkeley continue to chug along without football. In the midst of all of this, you have schools like Buffalo and UMass making bad decisions about sports. Buffalo has actually seen its research double and its student profile skyrocket--meanwhile it is bleeding $$. UMass is about to go through the same thing.

UConn is doing what's right for the school--but pretty soon, that tuition charge should be looked at closely. State schools shouldn't violate their mission the way Michigan and Penn state do. There should be a stop to that. If the citizens of the state don't want to pay for a national and international class institution, that's their prerogative. It shouldn't all be foisted onto the students like Penn State does it.

Reaction Score
Oh, and another thing. UConn's acceptance rate is at 40%. It's SATs around 1200. Yeah, great, try to rise higher in the US News rankings, but sometimes you have to take a longer view than these bogus rankings. It's time to open up the class sizes. You're hiring all these new faculty. Open it up! 18 to 1 dropping to 15 to 1 is a 20% improvement. So open space enough for 10% more students.

Reaction Score
upstater, problem for me is that i have no interest in watching a lab coated nerd fiddle with a petri dish, even on my 65" plasma.

i want it all. academic excellence. and athletic excellence, in fb, bb, soccer, hockey, baseball. on the B1G network. the two aren't mutually exclusive, and let's face it, big ten network money will make the athletic dept revenue neutral at worst..,to the point that student fees can be eliminated and no institutional support needed.

Reaction Score
upstater, problem for me is that i have no interest in watching a lab coated nerd fiddle with a petri dish, even on my 65" plasma.

i want it all. academic excellence. and athletic excellence, in fb, bb, soccer, hockey, baseball. on the B1G network. the two aren't mutually exclusive, and let's face it, big ten network money will make the athletic dept revenue neutral at worst..,to the point that student fees can be eliminated and no institutional support needed.

Didn't say they were mutually exclusive. I said they weren't necessarily related, except in outlier cases. The buildout at UConn has little to do with sports. They're not ramping up the academic side in order to be invited into a sports conference.

Reaction Score
i misread what you meant then. we've had this debate before, and i'll grant you the athletic prominence/flutie effect is just that, very debatable. uconn's brand from sports, has it raised uconn's academic profile? the one thought on this that i'll indulge myself with is the goodwill associated with m's and w's bb in the 90's helped in the political arena with respect to uconn 2000.

bu is what syracuse could have become if syracuse was in boston with a silber. instead, bu's doing everything right while syracuse is struggling...all the while cuze is emphasizing major athletics, while bu pretends only hockey is a sport. maybe some enterprising student can use those two as a case study.

Reaction Score
i misread what you meant then. we've had this debate before, and i'll grant you the athletic prominence/flutie effect is just that, very debatable. uconn's brand from sports, has it raised uconn's academic profile? the one thought on this that i'll indulge myself with is the goodwill associated with m's and w's bb in the 90's helped in the political arena with respect to uconn 2000.

bu is what syracuse could have become if syracuse was in boston with a silber. instead, bu's doing everything right while syracuse is struggling...all the while cuze is emphasizing major athletics, while bu pretends only hockey is a sport. maybe some enterprising student can use those two as a case study.

I think bball definitely helped UConn. No doubt. And BC was helped too. Granted, BC is in Boston, but Holy Cross used to have a better rep years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom