UConn Highlights: Isaiah Whaley - Junior Season (2019-2020) | The Boneyard

UConn Highlights: Isaiah Whaley - Junior Season (2019-2020)

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Really, thanks for putting these together. Nicely done, and hugely appreciated.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
And, yeah, I love Whaley. Were there some really cool t-shirts floating around for a while? If they're still out there someone please PM me.

Reaction Score
Wow. Whaley is so quick off his feet. He’s reliable finishing around the hoop. He showed he is improving as a passer. He gained a lot of muscle and still maintained his quickness and explosiveness. Great teammate, unselfish, doesn’t pout, and works his azzzz off. What’s not to love about this guy? Happy for him that he will come into next season as a starter on a big East team with big goals.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Things I love about Isaiah's game:
  • His ability to know when to stuff it and when to finesse it over the rim or use English to put it in off the board.
  • His hands. Quick and sure.
  • The frequency with which he gets control/possession of his blocked shots.
  • The quickness he follows up his own misses with, and the fact that he doesn't give up on them.
  • His command of the 12 to 18 foot jumper.
  • His seemingly instinctive knowledge of where to be on the court, and the fact that he's always ready when he's in position.
My non-Whaley take from that video:
  • Damn, I miss Gilbert already. Every "wow" assist in that vid was AG.

Reaction Score
Whaley is the shining example that hard work and heart will take you a long way in this game. He was not ever supposed to be playing at the level he did the last 1/3 of the season.

If he can use his comfort with the 15ft shot and extend that to the 3, he will be a beast for us. Probably will either way

Reaction Score
  • His ability to know when to stuff it and when to finesse it over the rim or use English to put it in off the board.
  • The quickness he follows up his own misses with, and the fact that he doesn't give up on them.
  • His seemingly instinctive knowledge of where to be on the court, and the fact that he's always ready when he's in position.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Really? You're going to summarily dismiss the great assist by Sid in the Miami game?

Reaction Score

Love Isaiah, not sure how much I agree on the 12-18 foot jumpers. Love that he worked on that part of his game and had some nice shots but also had some baaaaaaad shots from that range.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The compilation really shows his spring and touch around the rim. He's just active and efficient.
He really can be close to a double double for the year next season.

Reaction Score
Love Isaiah, not sure how much I agree on the 12-18 foot jumpers. Love that he worked on that part of his game and had some nice shots but also had some baaaaaaad shots from that range.

Agreed. Unless he can hit that at a 50% clip it's not a good look. I would think that Hurley let him shoot it because it could be a step towards adding a 3-ball for his last season.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Agreed. Unless he can hit that at a 50% clip it's not a good look. I would think that Hurley let him shoot it because it could be a step towards adding a 3-ball for his last season.
Or because you can score that way.

Reaction Score
Or because you can score that way.

It's the least efficient shot in the game. You can score with half-court heaves if you want, doesn't mean it's a good idea. Whether you like it or not, Hurley is a modern coach. He preaches 3s and layups and does everything to take them away on D.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I guess I'm not convinced that a 6'-8" guy with a decent stroke taking a relatively open 8-14 foot shot is less "efficient" than, say, AG running into a crowd of guys half a foot taller that he is, with no lane, shooting straight up and the ball goes nowhere near the rim - beyond the increased chance of drawing a foul. How are you defining "efficient"? (I'm genuinely curious...you may be right.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So if someone doesn't shoot 50% it is not a good look? Not talking 3 pointers here. If a player shoots 45% from 17 ft he should always take it. How many players shot 50% on two point shots this year?

pj

Reaction Score
So if someone doesn't shoot 50% it is not a good look? Not talking 3 pointers here. If a player shoots 45% from 17 ft he should always take it. How many players shot 50% on two point shots this year?

45% from 17 ft is the same as 30% from 3. Should a 30% 3 point shooter always take the shot, or work for something better?

30% on 3s / 45% on 2s is 0.9 points per possession which is very poor. Good teams are over 1.1 points per possession. You'd have to be a tremendous offensive rebounding team to make a 45% 2 point shot a good shot.

Reaction Score
45% from 17 ft is the same as 30% from 3. Should a 30% 3 point shooter always take the shot, or work for something better?

30% on 3s / 45% on 2s is 0.9 points per possession which is very poor. Good teams are over 1.1 points per possession. You'd have to be a tremendous offensive rebounding team to make a 45% 2 point shot a good shot.
So you tell a 30% 3 point shooter to never take them?

pj

Reaction Score
So you tell a 30% 3 point shooter to never take them?

It depends what else you have on your team ... when the shot clock is winding down you may have to take lower percentage shots ... but if a 30% 3 point shooter is taking a high volume, you have a bad offense.

Reaction Score
Whaley definitely can play in the NBA the way he runs the floor play defense rebound hustle plays and if he starts hitting the midrange consistently watch out for this kid at the next level

amidagoat

Amida was the goat
Reaction Score
Whaley definitely can play in the NBA the way he runs the floor play defense rebound hustle plays and if he starts hitting the midrange consistently watch out for this kid at the next level
Yes, Whaley and Carlton both definitely have a shot ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom