UConn Headed To Big 12?? That's The Unofficial Report | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn Headed To Big 12?? That's The Unofficial Report

Reaction Score
Luna...tic,

Dave Benedict knows his stuff. Your comments are kindergarten level. Read the history of Benedicts tenure at UConn. Fiscally responsible, creative and imaginative with resources he has to work with, 2 major hiring coups, Hurley and Mora. Not a warm and cuddly guy, but knows his numbers and knows the landscape. Ohh, did I mention multiple National Championships under his guidance. Call Chris Murphy, he knows about as much as you.
How is Mora a major hiring coup???

Reaction Score
How is Mora a major hiring coup???
Head NFL Coach, head PAC12 Coach had enough success to know he was competent
Did research to find a guy who was really hungry for another shot, but just hadn’t put himself out there. PP had the feel of a retread, Mora did not.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Head NFL Coach, head PAC12 Coach had enough success to know he was competent
Did research to find a guy who was really hungry for another shot, but just hadn’t put himself out there. PP had the feel of a retread, Mora did not.
GIF by Futurithmic

Reaction Score
I don’t think ESPN is offering much if any additional money to the B12 to add UConn, thus the reason no football offer.

the rumor is that with the addition of UConn every team in the b12 continues to receive the same amount they do now (revenue neutral). However, ESPN will give UConn a raise over what we receive now. Speculation is UConn would receive approximately 15 million, though I’ve seen higher and lower numbers out there, mainly because no one outside of those negotiating have a clue. Bottom line, UConn WILL receive more money.

the other speculation is that should we meet certain metrics, not public at this time, football would join the B12 in 2031.

I am not sure where you are getting your info but the rumors indicate more money and a football offer. Do you think the UConn leadership is not capable of negotiating more dollars vs the big east and an eventual football roadmap?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Do you think the UConn leadership is not capable of negotiating more dollars vs the big east and an eventual football roadmap?

No Idea Idk GIF by UFC

Reaction Score
the rumor is that with the addition of UConn every team in the b12 continues to receive the same amount they do now (revenue neutral). However, ESPN will give UConn a raise over what we receive now. Speculation is UConn would receive approximately 15 million, though I’ve seen higher and lower numbers out there, mainly because no one outside of those negotiating have a clue. Bottom line, UConn WILL receive more money.

the other speculation is that should we meet certain metrics, not public at this time, football would join the B12 in 2031.

I am not sure where you are getting your info but the rumors indicate more money and a football offer. Do you think the UConn leadership is not capable of negotiating more dollars vs the big east and an eventual football roadmap?
I’m referring to football. ESPN is not offering an equal share to add UConn football. It’s a tough call both ways with not having football as part of the deal from the start. Why do we need more than 3 years to meet financial thresholds for football? It’s not a clean, clear cut offer.

Reaction Score
I’m referring to football. ESPN is not offering an equal share to add UConn football. It’s a tough call both ways with not having football as part of the deal from the start. Why do we need more than 3 years to meet financial thresholds for football? It’s not a clean, clear cut offer.
It is simple. The networks are refusing to pay full share right now by adding UConn. I believe the original B12 media deal included adding up to 4 P4 schools at full share, and it was something Yormark negotiated with the new B12 deal. UConn was going to be added at full share with Colorado, but 4 corner schools happened.

Right now, we just need to be added to a P4 conference vs risking getting left behind.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

You are on the hook for $15 million for basketball only, and a guarantee that UConn will be added for football in 2031.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is simple. The networks are refusing to pay full share right now by adding UConn. I believe the original B12 media deal included adding up to 4 P4 schools at full share, and it was something Yormark negotiated with the new B12 deal. UConn was going to be added at full share with Colorado, but 4 corner schools happened.

Right now, we just need to be added to a P4 conference vs risking getting left behind.

Left behind to what? The highest level of college football has huge uncertainty in revenue (end of the cable bundle), costs (House settlement), and conference affiliation. There are dozens of ways this can play out, some of which would make it better for UConn to not join the Big 12 right now.

Reaction Score

I’m not sure we or the Big East gets left behind. We can self fund our payroll and nothing can stop us from spending more money on basketball than the P4. Basketball cannot survive with only the P4 teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom