UConn has played well short handed before | The Boneyard

UConn has played well short handed before

Reaction Score
Remember UConn at BC in the Boston Garden on 1/27/1987? One of the best UConn games that I attended because the expectations for the game were so low. UConn had 5 scholarship players available for the game as Cliff Robinson and Phil Gamble, the two best players, were academically ineligible. Attendance in the Garden had to be ~2000.

Calhoun started 4 scholarship players and a walk-on, Greg Economou, 6'3", and they announced him as a starting forward. BC wasn't very good that year, but they had Dana Barros. We thought UConn had no chance to win the game, but the players came out motivated and UConn lead at halftime 36-23 and held on to win 66-60. It was a shocking win.

Tonight, UConn will have 7 scholarship players and they will need to come out motivated to beat Temple. Maybe we will see a couple of walk-ons. This is the opportunity for the players to shine!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Temple is having a tough year, and UConn can still cobble together an OK starting lineup. Foul trouble could be an issue.

Reaction Score
remember Houston a couple years ago when Rodney purvis was our point guard? Think we lost by like 40.

I also remember Enoch still hardly played that game. Smh Ollie.

Reaction Score
Remember UConn at BC in the Boston Garden on 1/27/1987? One of the best UConn games that I attended because the expectations for the game were so low. UConn had 5 scholarship players available for the game as Cliff Robinson and Phil Gamble, the two best players, were academically ineligible. Attendance in the Garden had to be ~2000.

Calhoun started 4 scholarship players and a walk-on, Greg Economou, 6'3", and they announced him as a starting forward. BC wasn't very good that year, but they had Dana Barros. We thought UConn had no chance to win the game, but the players came out motivated and UConn lead at halftime 36-23 and held on to win 66-60. It was a shocking win.

Tonight, UConn will have 7 scholarship players and they will need to come out motivated to beat Temple. Maybe we will see a couple of walk-ons. This is the opportunity for the players to shine!

Shine they did. Congrats guys

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
remember Houston a couple years ago when Rodney purvis was our point guard? Think we lost by like 40.

Why do you choose to fixate on that?

Reaction Score

Well done.

Reaction Score
2016-17
That was a good team with one PG
when he was hurt we were dead.
Rodney was barely a guard never mind a PG

Enoch was a stiff who hurt us that year. The guy committed a foul ever 6 minupets.
6.5 fouls per 40 minutes.. He couldn’t guard a chair Without fouling it.
By the way in a rematch when Adams returned we beat that same Houston team.
Seriously having to play Rodney at PG is kind of funny because he is barely a guard never mind a PG. That was ugly .
That team played 7 guys. and got on a nice roll barring JA ‘s two injuries with no backup PG .they would have been in the Post Season.
Brimah
Facey
Jackson
Purvis
Adams
subs
Vital
Enoch the stiff and eventual traitor
Durham who shouldn’t have been playing two ACL’s did him in.
Adams averaged 6 assists a game because that team could shoot.
remember super sub Vital was much lower rated than the kids this year.
But thst team could shoot pretty well and Adams could find you.

Reaction Score
Enoch was a stiff who hurt us that year. The guy committed a foul ever 6 minupets.
Seriously having to play Rodney at PG is kind of funny because he is barely a guard never mind a PG. That was ugly .
That team played 7 guys. and got on a nice roll barring JA ‘s two injuries with no backup PG .they would have been in the Post Season.
Brimah Facey Jackson Purvis Adams subs Vital

i enjoy your late night stream of consciousness posting

Reaction Score
All I know is hopefully we wont play another game thats officiated like Wichita State game til Sid gets back. If we do were screwed.

Reaction Score
idk man...maybe because the thread is called "UConn has played well short handed before"?

I'm giving an example of when we didn't play well shorthanded.

Reaction Score
2016-17
That was a good team with one PG
when he was hurt we were dead.
Rodney was barely a guard never mind a PG

Brimah
Facey
Jackson
Purvis
Adams
subs
Vital

If Dham came back that could very well have been a sweet 16- FF team. He was the only UConn player that I can say left too early his decision hurt UConn and himself being a late 2nd rounder.

Reaction Score
If Dham came back that could very well have been a sweet 16- FF team. He was the only UConn player that I can say left too early his decision hurt UConn and himself being a late 2nd rounder.
DeAndre Daniels also?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
idk man...maybe because the thread is called "UConn has played well short handed before"?

I'm giving an example of when we didn't play well shorthanded.
Understood, both before and after your explanation.

That said, to what helpful purpose did you offer only an anecdotal counterexample ...given that OP, pregame, clearly intended to rally fans in support of a team in a vulnerable position, and you claim to be a fan?

Reaction Score
Do we know if Gilbert is joining his teammates on this road trip?

Reaction Score
DeAndre Daniels also?
I agree , It was of example of Ollie’s poor management skills and lack of attention to detail.
( I’m not an Ollie was a bad bench coach school because the facts are overwhelming contrary to that hypothesis, but he was well over his head managing a program.)
Obviously DHam was a stud and competent secondary ball handler., but even if Ollie convinced lowly TSam to return as the guard mentor and in the backup PG roll Adam’s could have gotten off the ball and stayed fresh and maybe healthy
Little things sometime determine the difference between success and failure.

Reaction Score
Remember the two/three hours time difference so it’s usually not late..
I’m retired and very use to digging for info so the historian in me will not allow opinion to pass for actual fact.
Enoch is an interesting case and we have some Enoch lovers here who blame Ollie not giving him more PT as a reason for the revolt that were still trying to overcome.
That theory requires suspending reality because besides the rehabbing Durham Enoch was the only backup big. He had 25 -30 minutes available to him if he showed any sign of contributing. He averaged about 20 minutes. He played 22 in that crazy Houston game referenced .
Enoch had an NBA body as a 19 year old unfortunately he had Jr HS feet.
The kid has the most amazing stats for fouling of any player I could recall
If he started he would not only of fouled out of every game he played but he would have done it with 10 minutes left. 6.6 fouls per 40 minutes is crazy..

I did stay up last night until one to watch the replay
UConn shooting was horrendous but what a bunch of long lean athletes.
i pray Akok comes back because he will be top 10 if he stays here 2 years. What a stud.
Bouknight also will be super once his shot starts falling , I was impressed with his rebounding. Very Rudy Gay like athleticism.
Whaley was a thorn on defense especially disrupting the offense on the outside.
He is small but mobile. I thought he would transfer as he sat all last year.
Their team quickness really bothered Temple and Akok hitting outside shots is a huge development. Temple pressed without success CV was a huge help along with
Gaffney. I was amazed how CV has progressed with the ball in four years.
PS in that infamous Houston game which we lost 62-46
Rodney’s starting two guard was freshman Vital. That’s the no handle backcourt.
Throw in Jackson ,Brimah, and Facey and no one could put in on the floor.
Vital’s hard work with the ball will pay dividends as he will be able to make money in the future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom