UConn @ Hartford Hawks (3/10/20 @ 3p) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn @ Hartford Hawks (3/10/20 @ 3p)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Zach Bushling came out of California JUCO land with a very good fielding reputation. It seems he has had more than his fair share of the fielding problems of late. Given his fielding reputation, I'm hoping he will settle down as the season progresses. On the other hand, he may be better suited for either 3B or 2B. If this is so, that doesn't provide an answer for the shortstop spot, as Andy Hague was having some problems as well.

Todd Petersen has had both good and bad moments in the field. However, I expect David Langer will get an opportunity to take over at 3B.

It seems most of his errors are throwing errors. That won't improve at any base- I can't wait to see the games in person so I can see if he is throwing over the top and air mailing or 3/4 and pulling people off bags.

The other piece that is something that Penders needs to assess is that Chris Winkel was great at 1st base and saved many errors. Reggie is in his first few games and is not as accomplished with the glove. Maybe Nucerino or Chiovitti can go to center(I know that Kyler Fedko has also improved and could be a CF as well), at least as defensive replacements.

Reaction Score
Given how many unanswered questions we had coming into the season, both the pitching and the hitting have been outstanding. The difference between our team batting average and our team batting average alllowed is phenomenal.

But there are two huge problems that are going to cost us games against better teams. One is the errors, and two is the fact that we give up far, far, far more walks than we take. Fix those two things and this could be a really special season. Otherwise, we'll continue to beat up on bad teams but struggle when conference play starts.

Reaction Score
It seems most of his errors are throwing errors. That won't improve at any base- I can't wait to see the games in person so I can see if he is throwing over the top and air mailing or 3/4 and pulling people off bags.

The other piece that is something that Penders needs to assess is that Chris Winkel was great at 1st base and saved many errors. Reggie is in his first few games and is not as accomplished with the glove. Maybe Nucerino or Chiovitti can go to center(I know that Kyler Fedko has also improved and could be a CF as well), at least as defensive replacements.

What Reggie is doing with the bat far outweighs him potentially saving an overthrow. Winkel in center and Reggie at first is the best lineup. I watched the game on the stream today and I'm not sure it mattered who was taking the throws on some of those errors today. And if we are saying it is partially Reggie's experience, then the only way to get better is to keep the feet to the fire and stationed at 1B.

Reaction Score
What Reggie is doing with the bat far outweighs him potentially saving an overthrow. Winkel in center and Reggie at first is the best lineup. I watched the game on the stream today and I'm not sure it mattered who was taking the throws on some of those errors today. And if we are saying it is partially Reggie's experience, then the only way to get better is to keep the feet to the fire and stationed at 1B.

I don't think anyone is for a moment considering sitting Reggie because of his fielding. I think the suggestion was you could DH Reggie, move Wink back to 1st and either put Ferrer in left with Kyler in center or play Nucerino or Chiovetti in Center.

I think they intend to let Crawford grow throught it, and I don't watch games so I don't even know if it's a problem, but I can guaranty no one is thinking of taking Reggie's bat out of the lineup.

Reaction Score
But then you would have to take Stock's bat out of the lineup. Leave him at left field instead of Ferrer.

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
Reggie needs to play every game-but you have a large roster and some players have better skill sets than others. There is a time and place to utilize them efficiently.

Reaction Score

FWIW...Reggie has also saved quite a few errors digging numerous balls out of the dirt on throws from the left side of the infield. Reggie is not the problem. Wink is in CF because he’s the most athletic player on the team and Reggie’s defense is good enough to keep him on the field. Bushling will be fine at SS. He’s making the transition from 2B and he has to adjust his timing and rhythm from the left side. I think Peterson will be ok at 3B. It’s also an adjustment for him. He played SS in high school and things move a lot quicker at this level. His fielding has been pretty good. His throws looked rushed. He’ll figure it out and settle down.

Reaction Score
FWIW...Reggie has also saved quite a few errors digging numerous balls out of the dirt on throws from the left side of the infield. Reggie is not the problem. Wink is in CF because he’s the most athletic player on the team and Reggie’s defense is good enough to keep him on the field. Bushling will be fine at SS. He’s making the transition from 2B and he has to adjust his timing and rhythm from the left side. I think Peterson will be ok at 3B. It’s also an adjustment for him. He played SS in high school and things move a lot quicker at this level. His fielding has been pretty good. His throws looked rushed. He’ll figure it out and settle down.

I pretty much agree with this, especially on Crawford and Winkel. I thought I heard something early on that speculated that Bushling did not have a strong enough arm to be a regular shortstop, but I could be wrong on this. On the other hand, can anyone name a better shortstop prospect currently on the roster? Andy Hague had problems in the field and at the bat before Bushling took over at shortstop. The best thing to do might be to let Bushling play through this and let him make adjustments.

The only immediate move that I see coming is David Langer getting a shot starting at 3B now that he is back from his injury. He had a solid summer ball season, and he was doing well in fall ball before he got hit by a pitch in the face. I can't see Ferrer playing the outfield on any regular basis, as the coaches said in preseason interviews that his defense needs work.

Reaction Score
I pretty much agree with this, especially on Crawford and Winkel. I thought I heard something early on that speculated that Bushling did not have a strong enough arm to be a regular shortstop, but I could be wrong on this. On the other hand, can anyone name a better shortstop prospect currently on the roster? Andy Hague had problems in the field and at the bat before Bushling took over at shortstop. The best thing to do might be to let Bushling play through this and let him make adjustments.

The only immediate move that I see coming is David Langer getting a shot starting at 3B now that he is back from his injury. He had a solid summer ball season, and he was doing well in fall ball before he got hit by a pitch in the face. I can't see Ferrer playing the outfield on any regular basis, as the coaches said in preseason interviews that his defense needs work.
I pretty much agree with your assessments most of the time. I’ve been reading the boneyard for years. The only thing I’m going to disagree with is Andy Hague’s defensive problems”. I was at the port St LUcie series against Michigan where we played on a poorly conditioned practice field. Hague had 3 errorless games and the infield played well as a whole. (Bushling at third was better than Bushling at SS) I also agree 2-9 at the plate with only 2 RBIs isn’t enough production for this team. I’m not saying Hague should be playing. I’m just saying your comments should be fair.

Reaction Score
I pretty much agree with your assessments most of the time. I’ve been reading the boneyard for years. The only thing I’m going to disagree with is Andy Hague’s defensive problems”. I was at the port St LUcie series against Michigan where we played on a poorly conditioned practice field. Hague had 3 errorless games and the infield played well as a whole. (Bushling at third was better than Bushling at SS) I also agree 2-9 at the plate with only 2 RBIs isn’t enough production for this team. I’m not saying Hague should be playing. I’m just saying your comments should be fair.

I know Hague is generally regarded as a solid defender. Well, it seemed that everyone in the infield was having problems, especially that opening weekend. Hague was credited with one error, I had the impression that he had more, but he did not. Hague had six starts before Penders made the decision to pretty much go with Todd Petersen and Zach Bushling on the left side of the infield. I can understand that decision since Hague did not produce offensively, Bushling had obvious merits, and the coaches liked the potential that freshman Petersen has, enough so to give him a little run as a starter.

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
I hope this isn't moot at this point, but if they could come back, I would love to see Andy as at the least a late inning replacement at short. Almost how C Mo was handled last year at 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom