UConn Guards Observation. | The Boneyard

UConn Guards Observation.

Reaction Score
I'm curious what you all think. Many teams guards are either 3 point shooters or Slashing type guards to simplify their style on the offensive side of the ball. This designation make it easier for coaches to plan on how they defend the opposition. Thinking about our 5, Christyn, Paige, Azzi, E and C.D. ,everyone of them are a threat to do either. This in my opinion should be a real headache for every team that has to play/defend us from here on out. Then just to add our Posts players....... Oh I'd hate to be a coach playing UConn in the NCAA's........

Reaction Score
Did you forget our 6th guard? She's not an offensive juggernaut but a real P.I.T.A. on defense and makes 3's once in a while.
I did not forget about Nika. (she's actually my favorite!!!) I left her out because her MAIN strength is EXACTLY as you described .

Reaction Score
Caroline not a guard, there is no mistaking that. Real ball handling point guards Paige and Nika. Shooting guards Paige, Azzi, Christyn, Evina. Small forward Evina, Caroline
I'm talking as Shooter's, not ball handlers or assists point gaurds That's why I said to simplify their style......

Reaction Score
Caroline not a guard, there is no mistaking that. Real ball handling point guards Paige and Nika. Shooting guards Paige, Azzi, Christyn, Evina. Small forward Evina, Caroline
From the UConn page.
33 Caroline Ducharme
  • Position Guard.
  • Height 6-2.
  • Class Freshman.
  • Highschool Noble & Greenough School.
  • Milton, Mass.

Reaction Score
Looking over the past UConn championship teams, outstanding guard play usually was the difference in the FF or NC games. Of course we also had great post players to complement the great guards. This year team will have both great guards and post players if they are healthy. They will be real NASTY in the big dance. I love this team!!!

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
From the UConn page.
33 Caroline Ducharme
  • Position Guard.
  • Height 6-2.
  • Class Freshman.
  • Highschool Noble & Greenough School.
  • Milton, Mass.
Calling her a guard is nice, watching her handle the ball at this time shows otherwise.

Reaction Score
Calling her a guard is nice, watching her handle the ball at this time shows otherwise.
Then we'll classify her the way you did above for the position as "Shooting Guard" so she doesn't get discredited as someone who can't handle the ball well. OK I'll be positive from here on.......

Reaction Score
Here we go with terminology again. Anybody who plays the three can be called a small forward, a wing , or a guard. It probably depends on the age or life experience of the person using the word. Arguing which is correct is a useless venture.

Reaction Score
For the most part, they are all combo guards...skill wise, Nika being closest to point guard even though in a faster paced and widespread offense (Arkansas) I think she could get to the rim at will. They just have varying degrees to which they drive or spot up. Caroline probably needs the most handle work. She's good enough in the open court. Evina can play point, but is obviously a 2 guard, but she can spot up or drive and can score at all 3 levels. She can also create a midrange shot off the bounce or even post up smaller guards. Williams is either a deep threat or driver, with pretty much no midrange game. I also think she's the best in an up-tempo pace by a lot. Azzi and Paige ...well, they got the gift.

Reaction Score
Here we go with terminology again. Anybody who plays the three can be called a small forward, a wing , or a guard. It probably depends on the age or life experience of the person using the word. Arguing which is correct is a useless venture.
I'm down to two terms...big guards and small guards. Everyone thinks they're a guard. Ask them. lol

Reaction Score
LOL. We have good guards even great guards. But the one who can lift them all to reach the prize is Paige. If Paige is at full strength, she can do things only Paige can do and would be the tie breaker in a very closely contested game or games.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I'm curious what you all think. Many teams guards are either 3 point shooters or Slashing type guards to simplify their style on the offensive side of the ball. This designation make it easier for coaches to plan on how they defend the opposition. Thinking about our 5, Christyn, Paige, Azzi, E and C.D. ,everyone of them are a threat to do either. This in my opinion should be a real headache for every team that has to play/defend us from here on out. Then just to add our Posts players....... Oh I'd hate to be a coach playing UConn in the NCAA's........

Here's my problem with your post. You are only concerned with the shooting aspect of their play.

All our guards can shoot. Some shoot more than others. All have the pull up jumper around the foul line that is almost impossible to defend or stop. They can all handle the ball. Some better to much better than others. All of them can drop the dimes and all of them can rebound. And they all play in your face defense! In other words, we have complete, well rounded guards. All of whom can be an absolute nightmare for any team including SC and Stamford.

I agree most teams have 3 point shooters and then they have slashers. That is the trend lately.

For our opponents, if you can't play defense well you are in big trouble. You play weak side help defense against UConn, you are going to get burned. Our guards are very adept at the pick and roll. With Liv up top, and lately Dorka, delivering the ball, it's all over. It is pick your poison.

Reaction Score
Here's my problem with your post. You are only concerned with the shooting aspect of their play.

All our guards can shoot. Some shoot more than others. All have the pull up jumper around the foul line that is almost impossible to defend or stop. They can all handle the ball. Some better to much better than others. All of them can drop the dimes and all of them can rebound. And they all play in your face defense! In other words, we have complete, well rounded guards. All of whom can be an absolute nightmare for any team including SC and Stamford.

I agree most teams have 3 point shooters and then they have slashers. That is the trend lately.

For our opponents, if you can't play defense well you are in big trouble. You play weak side help defense against UConn, you are going to get burned. Our guards are very adept at the pick and roll. With Liv up top, and lately Dorka, delivering the ball, it's all over. It is pick your poison.
If they can't play defense you aren't going to play. Geno's game is team defense first, team offense second.

WRT Caroline: She plays good defense and she is a good rebounder. She can shoot, can drive, can post up; and she can find the open teammate. She is a SG with good ball handling and aggressiveness: ability to drive to the basket or pull-up for midrange. Excellent body control and agile for getting a high percentage short range shot. She is deceptively quick and agile for a forward to guard her; and, with her size, she is a mismatch for a typical guard.

Reaction Score
Correct, I'm only talking about their ability to score and how they do it as "Guards". I don't understand why you would have a "Problem" with pointing out a specific aspect of their game/abilities. Yes ,they all rebound, play great defense, Pass well. I sometimes wonder if some people "read" posts and truly understand what is being said or the point attempting to be made.......... No disrespect meant to anyone here......

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Exactly. Before we start the evaluation and the ranking of the players we need to agree on the categories by which you are ranking them.
Suggested these five : 1) Shooter- The ability to shoot the ball accurately
2) Facilitator- the ability to set up other players up with assists
3) Defense- hopefully self explanatory and includes rebounding.
4) Ballhandler- the ability to advance the basketball safely by dribbling
5) Versatility- the ability to play SG or PG or SF
If you are a glass half empty person Nika would be the worst shooter. CW would be your worst facilitator. Azzi would be the worst defender. Caroline would be the worst ball handler and Nika would be the least versatile.
If you a a glass half full kind of person you quickly realize that every weakness in one UCONN player in complemented by a strength in another. This is arguably the most talented set of guards not just in UCONN WBB history but the history of NCAA WBB.
This UCONN backcourt has 3 players (CW, Azzi, Paige) that were consensus #1 in their respective HS classes. :eek:Then there are the relative slackers like Evina and Caroline with lowly ranking of #2 and #5. UCONN has some damn good guards- I get it.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I think she fits that G/F designation that KML and KLS often got.
KLS was a good enough ball handler and passer to often play as the point in press break situations. Caroline has that potential.

Reactions: PvP

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This whole train points out that guards are the key going forward.
I kind of disagree with that. We have good enough guards ( I'd even say proven experienced guards) in CW, Paige and Evina. How far UCONN goes in this tournament will be determined by how well and consistently UCONN plays up front IMO.

Reaction Score
I kind of disagree with that. We have good enough guards ( I'd even say proven experienced guards) in CW, Paige and Evina. How far UCONN goes in this tournament will be determined by how well and consistently UCONN plays up front IMO.
I thought UConn came out flat against Providence. Fudd came in for PB with the score 8-4 at 5:05, and Muhl and CD for Evina and CW at 4:46 with the score 10-4; then it was off to the races. AE came in for ONO at 1:20 and the score 20-4. Sure the bigs did big things but the guard play by Evina, CW, Fudd, CD and Nika that was the engine that could. End of the 1st 25-4. Rinse, repeat in the 2nd qtr.

Reaction Score
Watch the Geno / Hungarian Coach interview video to see how Geno views the evolution of basketball play over the years from guards/wings/forwards/posts/centers to the more modern "position-less" play of the top teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom