UConn-Gonzaga: Venue less hostile than you might think | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn-Gonzaga: Venue less hostile than you might think

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This is the dumbest thread I've ever seen. If anyone thinks it won't be 95% hardcore Gonzaga fans there, I don't know what to tell you. They've got UConn coming to their hood.

OP is right, it's not The Kennel. But yeah it is like MSG for us, it's the closest metropolis to their campus. An extra hour or whatever drive, it doesn't matter. Seattle is where all their grads go. It's where all the bandwagon fans live that they've made by making 24 straight tournaments during which the city lost its NBA team

It's going to be hostile. We still might win.
Maybe so, but why lead with a first sentence that can't possibly be true for you across a dozen years and 11,000+ posts?

Aren't you trying to recruit readers to get real?

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Maybe so, but why lead with a first sentence that can't possibly be true for you across a dozen years and 11,000+ posts?

Aren't you trying to recruit readers to get real?
Hyperbole is a rhetorical and literary technique where an author or speaker intentionally uses exaggeration and overstatement for emphasis and effect.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Climate Pledge, by the way, is a state of the art arena. Went there for the grand opening concert and it was spectacular.

Reaction Score
This is the dumbest thread I've ever seen. If anyone thinks it won't be 95% hardcore Gonzaga fans there, I don't know what to tell you. They've got UConn coming to their hood.

OP is right, it's not The Kennel. But yeah it is like MSG for us, it's the closest metropolis to their campus. An extra hour or whatever drive, it doesn't matter. Seattle is where all their grads go. It's where all the bandwagon fans live that they've made by making 24 straight tournaments during which the city lost its NBA team

Not even in the top 300 dumbest threads. @HuskyWarrior611 has a 5 pager which blows this one out of the water.

We will win.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
@auror posted: "Hyperbole is a rhetorical and literary technique where an author or speaker intentionally uses exaggeration and overstatement for emphasis and effect." It may have been a definition quoted directly from an uncredited source

I assert that the effect in this case was to reduce the credibility of what followed, calling into question any-to-all other assertions thereafter made.

Sure, you got my attention, but at what cost within this post and perhaps others in the future?

Reaction Score
@auror posted: "Hyperbole is a rhetorical and literary technique where an author or speaker intentionally uses exaggeration and overstatement for emphasis and effect." It may have been a definition quoted directly from an uncredited source

I assert that the effect in this case was to reduce the credibility of what followed, calling into question any-to-all other assertions thereafter made.

Sure, you got my attention, but at what cost within this post and perhaps others in the future?
I assumed you had an ability to read critically and recognize literary devices as you read. I apologize for over-estimating you.

Reaction Score

I was at the Gonzaga at UW game tonight. UW won because they won the paint battle and out-rebounded the Zags. They closed out well enough on 3’s down the stretch and Gonzaga went cold the last 10 minutes.

We can definitely do the same. Clingan and Johnson need to hold it down and win the match against Ike, just as Kepnang did tonight.

UConn is deeper at just about every position so they just need to wear them down, play great defense and rebound.

I’m very excited to watch it live next week

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Gonzaga had the Battle in Seattle game going for around a decade, and played 1st/2nd Round games of the NCAA Tourney at Key Arena at least 3 times. There will be A LOT of Zags fans there. Have to be some alums/fans in Seattle already, and then plenty of people will make the trek over from the east side of the state. It's a big deal for them. The Kennel has a capacity of 6000. There are more than 6000 people who would like to go to Zags games. This is a chance for some of them to actually watch their team live. Even if they have to drive over 200 miles to do it.

Reaction Score
The game will be played in the Climate Pledge Arena in Seattle. Gonzaga is located in Spokane, 230 miles away. Its home court is the McCarthey Athletic Center in Spokane.

No current Gonzaga player has ever played a game at the Climate Pledge Arena. The only games Gonzaga has played in Seattle in the past four years have been on campus of the University of Washington. Until now, Gonzaga has always been the visiting team in Seattle.

No doubt Gonzaga will have a greater chance to practice in the facility, and no doubt a goodly number of their fans will make the 460-mile round-trip trek to the game, but the venue is NOT Gonzaga's equivalent of Gampel Pavilion or even the XL Center. And Seattle is not their NYC. The Climate Pledge Arena is not their MSG, where, btw, next year's rematch will be played.
I dont care where we play. We shall destroy.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I assumed you had an ability to read critically and recognize literary devices as you read. I apologize for over-estimating you.
It was horribly used, enough so that I'll offer that you either do not understand the device; have a faulty sense of proportion; or are extending a bad joke by way of a preposterous apology.

It's as though you'd consider this reply better or stronger if I were to write, "That's the stupidest thing I've ever read," and even more so if I put it in the lead. Say it ain't so, or deepen the dumbening.

You may yet make your your initial statement valid, but you'll have to pass through a couple more layers of fantastic dishonesty to do so, and I doubt this dance is what you've had in mind all along.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Gonzaga had the Battle in Seattle game going for around a decade, and played 1st/2nd Round games of the NCAA Tourney at Key Arena at least 3 times. There will be A LOT of Zags fans there. Have to be some alums/fans in Seattle already, and then plenty of people will make the trek over from the east side of the state. It's a big deal for them. The Kennel has a capacity of 6000. There are more than 6000 people who would like to go to Zags games. This is a chance for some of them to actually watch their team live. Even if they have to drive over 200 miles to do it.

After what happened in the tournament last year, I expect every Zag fan in America to be at the game

Reaction Score
Alas, I said "Spokane East" instead of "Spokane West." Now I'm really in for it.
Eleven minutes before you realized your elementary mistake. What a slacker.

Reaction Score
The combination of the tourney thumping last year, the prospect of a statement win against the national champs to get back into the Top 10 (assuming they drop out after the UW loss), and UConn being UConn means that place is going to be nuts. If somehow it’s not then I’m really disappointed in Zags fans’ ability to bring the lumber when it counts.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Men against boys people, this will me as ugly in December as it was in March

This won't be as tough as UNC was at MSG, and we're certainly not playing a National Title Contender on their campus court like we did at KU (sans Castle no less)

Double digit win streak against OOC opponents reaches three

Reaction Score

to this point, i had a coworker in seattle who was a bandwagon gonzaga fan. she told me that gonzaga was basically seattle's college team (at least when the ncaa tournament starts).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I dont care where we play. We shall destroy.
doomed oh no GIF by THE NEXT STEP

Reaction Score
In 2008, wasn't that game vs Gonzaga in Seattle where AJ Price hit the late game 3 to send to OT? Then the good guys won it in OT. That was also a top 10 match-up

Same place ?

Those baggy shorts though.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The game will be played in the Climate Pledge Arena in Seattle. Gonzaga is located in Spokane, 230 miles away. Its home court is the McCarthey Athletic Center in Spokane.

No current Gonzaga player has ever played a game at the Climate Pledge Arena. The only games Gonzaga has played in Seattle in the past four years have been on campus of the University of Washington. Until now, Gonzaga has always been the visiting team in Seattle.

No doubt Gonzaga will have a greater chance to practice in the facility, and no doubt a goodly number of their fans will make the 460-mile round-trip trek to the game, but the venue is NOT Gonzaga's equivalent of Gampel Pavilion or even the XL Center. And Seattle is not their NYC. The Climate Pledge Arena is not their MSG, where, btw, next year's rematch will be played.
Even if Gonzaga has no fans outside the Greater Spokane Metropolitan Region, 280 miles is a 4 hour drive out west, where the posted limit is often 75mph.

I guess UConn has no fans outside of Mansfield either, from where it takes about 3 1/2 - 4 hours to get to NYC (particularly if one takes the train) when all is said and done. UConn never travels well to New York.:rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom