UConn Gets New Interim President, He Doesn't Mention Athletics or Huskies in Intro Video | The Boneyard

UConn Gets New Interim President, He Doesn't Mention Athletics or Huskies in Intro Video

Reaction Score
The Board of Trustees named Andrew Agwunobi UConn's Interim President. He runs the Health Center.

In his intro video, I did not hear single mention of "Huskies", sports or related topics. Instead, most of his comments could have applied to any college in the US.

I don't see this as a comforting signal for UConn sports fans, especially long-suffering football fans.

Boneyard members must work to educate him how football and other sports can play a key role in representing the university. And we cannot forget the long-term goal of getting into a P5 conference.

Reaction Score
From what I heard, TOMKAT didn't know if a pigskin was filled with air or feathers. He wasn't a sports guy. Doubt this guy is either. President's have too much to handle and manage.

Wonder if this is one of those trial runs where he will get interim tag taken off. They do need to clarify if he is a candidate.

Reaction Score
Katsouleas may not have been a sports fan but he reached out to them. The Courant reported that upon taking over as president in 2019, Thomas Katsouleas addressed the UConn community in an emailed statement:

“It is both a thrill and an honor to be here,” he said. “Over the last several months of transition, I have made multiple visits to UConn campuses, met with faculty, staff, students, alumni, donors, elected officials, and fans of UConn athletics. Through these conversations some common themes are emerging, and I look forward to fleshing them out further over the next semester as I complete my first visits to all of the schools, colleges and regional campuses."

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The good thing is he is just an interim president. If this were the hire I would be more worried, but he is a pitch hitter

Reaction Score
From what I heard, TOMKAT didn't know if a pigskin was filled with air or feathers. He wasn't a sports guy. Doubt this guy is either. President's have too much to handle and manage.

Wonder if this is one of those trial runs where he will get interim tag taken off. They do need to clarify if he is a candidate.
I love athletics as much as anybody, but are athletics really the mission of the University of Connecticut? I assume the University of Connecticut has a "Mission Statement" Does anyone know what it says?

Reaction Score
Trying to figure out what school Loyalfan is a fan of. I always guess BC or Syracuse when trolls create accounts (think about that - a person created a troll account to use on a UCONN football message board)

Reaction Score
I love athletics as much as anybody, but are athletics really the mission of the University of Connecticut? I assume the University of Connecticut has a "Mission Statement" Does anyone know what it says?
I am not an alumni but UConn is best known for athletics. It is their best advertisement

Reaction Score
This guy is the interim president. His job is not to screw anything up for the next 12 months until the new guy (I use the term in the Geno sense to mean male of female) arrives. Dr Agwonobi is a scholar and a competent administrator. You’d have preferred he said his favorite sport is one UConn doesn’t field?

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
He probably has no idea we field sports teams.

Reaction Score
It makes one wonder what goes on at the Board of Trustees meetings. ‘Ok. We need someone for the interim role who won’t rock the boat too much and challenge us to be more forward thinking. Any ideas? Well. UConn Health is just an absolute Shiite show. Let’s get that guy. All in favor. Aye. Looks like it’s unanimous’

Reaction Score
More insight regarding INTERIM UConn President and ongoing UConn Health CEO & EVP for Health Affairs Dr Andy Agwunobi, and a brief bio:

Andy Agwunobi bio:

Reaction Score
Hey, maybe he’ll do a great job. Our ability to pick good candidates is about as good as a blind man throwing darts at a board. One gets the sense that the Trustees are a big part of the aimless leadership at the school. They keep building buildings while hollowing out programs to cut expenses.

Reaction Score
It isn't. President should be mindful because it is important to manage at a high level, but they hire the Director of Athletics to deal with this. It really is hia job. So much more important things for President to do.

Reaction Score
Hey, maybe he’ll do a great job. Our ability to pick good candidates is about as good as a blind man throwing darts at a board. One gets the sense that the Trustees are a big part of the aimless leadership at the school. They keep building buildings while hollowing out programs to cut expenses.
Buildings are easy. Set cost. Bonding pays. There forever. Programs require people. Hard to get that funding. CapEx is an easy spend.

Reaction Score
This is odd. Hartford Business Journal reported Agwunobi said he plans to work two days a week each in Farmington and Storrs as UConn president, with the fifth day in Stamford because it is “a high-growth campus.” Why isn't he giving Storrs more priority?

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
So, when I read Tom K’s bio, it looked pretty good, but when I first heard him speak I had some hesitancy.

By contrast this guy sounds pretty good, especially when you realize he’s only in an interim roll. He “feels” right. I guess we will see.

Reaction Score
Andrew Agwunobi resides in Westport, according to the Hartford Courant. Is he going to live even part-time in Storrs? We already heard he will split his work week between Storrs, Stamford and Farmington. How can he devote time to UConn Storrs athletics/academics with this schedule and residence?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom