UConn gets a visit and has offered a JC QB... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn gets a visit and has offered a JC QB...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Assuming that McCummings keeps his role as is, we are very shallow at QB for depth. Cochran will no doubt red shirt and Johnny is all done next year. This leaves us in a vulnerable spot with only Nebrich. Not that this is bad mind you - I like the kid for the long run. It also leaves open the possibility that Nebrich could also red shirt.

If we blew Nebrich's red shirt I would have liked to see him get more snaps this year.

I am not sold on JUCO kids though. Hopefully the competition is keen. Seems to be an insurance move.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Todman was a true freshman that year and perhaps could have been red shirted (and still at UConn in '11).
If Todman redshirted and then came in and put up similar numbers as a RS So. as he did as a true Jr. he still wouldn't have returned. A halfback with size issues has to leave as soon as he can in order to maximize the amount of hits his body can still take in the NFL.

Either way, not sure how you can criticize the way our halfbacks have been utilized in the last decade. It's the one position that we have rarely, if ever, lacked production. You could argue McCombs is the worst starting halfback we have had in that time period (unless I am forgetting someone) and he is going to finish the season with somewhere around 1300 yards. Probably 1400 if we beat Cinci and get a bowl game. Again that's not a knock on him, it's a testament to how well we have recruited and utilized halfbacks in the FBS era of the program.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Assuming that McCummings keeps his role as is, we are very shallow at QB for depth. Cochran will no doubt red shirt and Johnny is all done next year. This leaves us in a vulnerable spot with only Nebrich. Not that this is bad mind you - I like the kid for the long run. It also leaves open the possibility that Nebrich could also red shirt.

If we blew Nebrich's red shirt I would have liked to see him get more snaps this year.

I am not sold on JUCO kids though. Hopefully the competition is keen. Seems to be an insurance move.

I wonder if this strategy was the reason why they blew his redshirt this year. It's certainly possible that they wanted to get him some game action this year knowing that they wanted to bring in a JuCo next year as the backup and that Nebrich could redshirt then.

If Nebrich had redshirted, Mac would have had no pass-first backup this year. If they had decided to redshirt him this year and then Mac had gotten injured in the first Big East game the staff would have had to face the decision of playing a true freshman with no experience or playing a redshirt freshman that is definitely not ready to throw the ball 20 times a game. Assuming they do land a JuCo QB and redshirt Nebrich next year, I will be ok with the way they handle things.

Reaction Score
Dixon was possibly the better of the two in '07. Todman was a true freshman that year and perhaps could have been red shirted (and still at UConn in '11). No way he should have fallen off the grid in '08 regardless of the bust out season DB had. At least use him coming out of the backfield. Oh and Todman of '08 was not the Todman of '09 & '10.

Todman averaged close to seven yards a carry in spot duty in '08, and would have left when he was eligible for the NFL draft after '10 no matter how much eligibility he had left.

Facts, my friend, please don't depart too far from the facts. I would have loved to have seen 'Dre get more play in '08, but it's hard to imagine how he would have helped the team in '08 or how he would have been better in '09 had he played in '08. We're left with something you didn't like that didn't have any adverse effect on the team whatsoever.

Reaction Score
It's good to see Coach P trying to upgrade the qb and wide receiver positions. Definitely a need for us going into next year. At wr, we'll have Smith back and the BC transfer Phillips along with Jones, Davis and Adams.

Reaction Score
It's good to see Coach P trying to upgrade the qb and wide receiver positions. Definitely a need for us going into next year. At wr, we'll have Smith back and the BC transfer Phillips along with Jones, Davis and Adams.

Are you trying to give Palatine a coronary? Two additional words: Nick and Williams.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm looking for someone to separate themselves, otherwise it will be another long year at the QB position. JM could do it by improving his footwork and learning to better read defenses.

MN could have it just click and live up to the hype as I have no clue what he's not doing in practice.

CC or the juco transfer could be Lorenzen-plus and just win the job.

I think SM has too far to go in the passing game to improve enough over the summer to win the job, but it's up to.him.

I do think that MN, SM, or both might transfer. Someone will be unhappy as the 4th QB or even 5th if CC doesn't red shirt.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
In a perfect world, MN and CC resdhirt. Chandler starts and Mac backs up, with SMac still the wildcat QB.

Next year MN and CC compete for backup/starter spots. If Chandler starts, redshirt SMac. MN run some wildcat.

Start getting some depth.

In a non-perfect world, Chandler comes here and MN and SMac both transfer. I don't like that world much.

Reaction Score
Well I for one won't be satisfied until I see how he throws in Gampel, preferably with a blindfold on.

Reaction Score
This is an insurance policy. The starter will either be MB or JM. Don't count on a JUCO transfer or a freshman.

mets1090

Reaction Score
This is an insurance policy. The starter will either be MB or JM. Don't count on a JUCO transfer or a freshman.
You're the one who is apparently partially counting on a QB that transferred away before this season started

Reaction Score
Scott McCummings already used up his redshirt last year.....

In a perfect world, MN and CC resdhirt. Chandler starts and Mac backs up, with SMac still the wildcat QB.

Next year MN and CC compete for backup/starter spots. If Chandler starts, redshirt SMac. MN run some wildcat.

Start getting some depth.

In a non-perfect world, Chandler comes here and MN and SMac both transfer. I don't like that world much.

Reaction Score
Having Mike Box leave hurt us depth wise at the qb position. I can see Coach P's logic here with this move, have 4 qb's on scholarships spread apart (McCummings, Chandler would have 3 yrs of eligibility to use n 3 years, Nebrich would have 3 yrs of eligibility to use in 4 yrs, Cochran will have 4 years of eligibility to use in 5 years). If they ever decide to move McCummings to rb, they can bring in another qb in 2013 and will have some good depth and competition at the position. I'm not including Johnny Mac in this equation because he is a walk-on...this is only guys on scholarship.

mets1090

Reaction Score
I'm not including Johnny Mac in this equation because he is a walk-on...this is only guys on scholarship.
Plus he has no eligibility left after next year. If he doesn't start next year he might as well not be a part of the equation at all.

Reaction Score
A couple of weeks ago went through the NJCAA passing leader stats to see if any one of them would be ripe for the picking. I thought the top 10 were all spoken for but happy to see I was wrong.

FYI, this guy is 8th in the nation, 24 TDs, 10 Ints, 59 pct. comp, 256 yds./game. His team is 3rd ranked in nation at 10-1 with one game to play this Saturday.

Pretty serious JC football out there at Butler.
http://grizzlies.butlercc.edu/football/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99