UConn. Georgetown. 2016 & 2017. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn. Georgetown. 2016 & 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This makes no sense. By this logic, we would be better off playing Rutgers or Penn State than Georgetown. I understand the bitterness, but don't make it seem like it's anything else.
We would be better playing Rutgers or Penn State, no doubt. Get into the heads of the B1G. Starting with bottom dwellers will lead to games against the upper eschelon and put UConn into the minds of the conference. This could lead to match up in other sports as well. The remnant BE had a few good teams last year. How long do you really think that they will be relevant? The seedings are not done impartially. Do you really believe that Louisville deserved a 4 seed and UConn a 7 seed last year? Politics plays a major role in NCAA seeding. The NCAA has been trying to keep UConn from succeeding. UConn needs to schedule national, state universities. That will keep them in the news nationally. Playing former big east small catholic schools in the east will not promote UConn, but reinforce the notion that UConn is a regional basketball school.

Reaction Score
UConn does not need 'exposure'. It needs needs tough games to strengthen its SOS and RPI.[/QUOTE
What makes you think Georgetown will be a tough team in the next year or two. If UConn wants to play a tough team then they should try to resume the series with Louisville. Tough team and P5 to boot, and schedule some B1G games in NYC. That would help UConn.

Reaction Score
We would be better playing Rutgers or Penn State, no doubt. Get into the heads of the B1G. Starting with bottom dwellers will lead to games against the upper eschelon and put UConn into the minds of the conference. This could lead to match up in other sports as well. The remnant BE had a few good teams last year. How long do you really think that they will be relevant? The seedings are not done impartially. Do you really believe that Louisville deserved a 4 seed and UConn a 7 seed last year? Politics plays a major role in NCAA seeding. The NCAA has been trying to keep UConn from succeeding. UConn needs to schedule national, state universities. That will keep them in the news nationally. Playing former big east small catholic schools in the east will not promote UConn, but reinforce the notion that UConn is a regional basketball school.
No man, the basketball teams can't do any more for the AD. It can't be asked to do any more; they have championships to defend. The B1G watches our basketball teams and know they're for real. I'm sure they don't need help to imagine UConn playing B1G basketball schools. This is now, especially since April, completely on the football team. Who the basketball teams play won't improve the football product. All the basketball teams should be focused on is continuing UConn's tradition of excellence and winning championships. A majot part of that is seeding. A major part of seeding is SOS. Which means playing legitimate teams OOC takes priority.

Not to mention, UConn has a series with OSU set up.

Reaction Score
We would be better playing Rutgers or Penn State, no doubt. Get into the heads of the B1G. Starting with bottom dwellers will lead to games against the upper eschelon and put UConn into the minds of the conference.

WTF?

We just won a national championship, and beat the best the B1G had to offer along the way, for the 3rd time in the last 4 years btw. But now we need to play Rutgers just to make the B1G aware of us, and to give us a chance to possibly one day have the opportunity to play against the better teams in the conference?

What the hell am I reading?

Reaction Score
We would be better playing Rutgers or Penn State, no doubt. Get into the heads of the B1G. Starting with bottom dwellers will lead to games against the upper eschelon and put UConn into the minds of the conference. This could lead to match up in other sports as well./QUOTE]

Drinking today????

Have you even watched what UCONN has done and who they've beaten along the way in the past 4 years? Many, many B1G schools on that list.

Reaction Score
And that is true. However, TV ratings drive CR we have been told here. How many cable boxes will be watching UConn-Georgetown, vs UConn-any P5 team? You want national exposure and national positive perception, you need to play national big time universities., and probably those away from the east coast. UConn-Georgetown will be a game with regional interest, but that is about all. It also appears from reading this board that the door will be closed very soon for UConn to schedule P5 teams. Best do it now and hope it plays a role in CR, as it also appears that if anything were to happen next it will be in the next 3-5 years, and if nothing positive happens for UConn by then, the next changes may not occur for 10-20 years when GOR's expires, and by then UConn athletics will be toast. I am only regurgitating what I have read here. These are not original thoughts by any means. If you want footnotes, I will go back and provide them. However, I feel that playing midmajors out of conference given the status of basketball in the AAC will not improve the national perception of UConn.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
UCONN- Georgetown draws better than UCONN -Rutgers

Reaction Score
And that is true. However, TV ratings drive CR we have been told here. How many cable boxes will be watching UConn-Georgetown, vs UConn-any P5 team? You want national exposure and national positive perception, you need to play national big time universities., and probably those away from the east coast. UConn-Georgetown will be a game with regional interest, but that is about all. It also appears from reading this board that the door will be closed very soon for UConn to schedule P5 teams. Best do it now and hope it plays a role in CR, as it also appears that if anything were to happen next it will be in the next 3-5 years, and if nothing positive happens for UConn by then, the next changes may not occur for 10-20 years when GOR's expires, and by then UConn athletics will be toast. I am only regurgitating what I have read here. These are not original thoughts by any means. If you want footnotes, I will go back and provide them. However, I feel that playing midmajors out of conference given the status of basketball in the AAC will not improve the national perception of UConn.
Congrats on making that dude from St. John's look smart.

Reaction Score
Syracuse actively worked to keep us in the shthole conference we are in.
We can schedule plenty of good OOC games without them.

F&#* Cuse hard. Don't schedule those s. We'll wipe the floor clean with them if we meet up in march.

Reaction Score

You might want to sit a few plays out. You can talk about P5 vs mid-majors all you want, but Uconn-Georgetown vs. Uconn-Washington State/Penn State/Rutgers isn't comparable from a "national perception" or "exposure" or whatever else point of view.

Heck we're in the middle of a series against Stanford, a more than solid P5 program who beat us last year and went to the Elite Eight. Even our return game @ Stanford this year will have less buzz than the future Georgetown matchups.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Meh, recruiting bump in MD/DC. The annual Cuse game at MSG would be a much bigger deal as would playing other top programs annually. Gtown just isn't at that level. After the old it's a shame about the BE tagline, it's just another game.

It does beat more than half of the AAC slate in terms of interest, so there's that.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
First Answer: We would be better playing Rutgers or Penn State, no doubt.

Second answer: How many cable boxes will be watching UConn-Georgetown, vs UConn-any P5 team? You want national exposure and national positive perception, you need to play national big time universities.

Keep dancing. Georgetown-UCONN will be front-page ESPN news before and after the game. Rutgers can't even fill the front two rows of their home games, and absolutely no one outside the two schools would give a rat's when we beat them into tomorrow.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
UConn does not need 'exposure'. It needs needs tough games to strengthen its SOS and RPI.

How is this basic premise so hard to grasp?

Not only do we get a top 15 program of all time on our OOC, they always just happen to be one of our top rivals from the past 25 years.

But we should really schedule Penn state, so Jim Delany is aware we exist, lol.

Reaction Score
We need to schedule other blue bloods and not waste our time with Cuse. I would like to see a series with UK and KU.

Reaction Score
Have you ever heard of cable tv? The notion UConn would schedule a game in a city, they would play at one time, to gain exposure is absurd.

UConn is scheduling the best teams that will play home and homes period.
It does have relevance to DC area recruits and that is why we scheduled Georgetown. Syracuse wants to also schedule Georgetown and St. Johns for the same reason. We are hesitating to schedule Nova because we already play Temple in the Philadelphia market. We won't be scheduling any team that isn't home and home because we don't have to.

Reaction Score
Won't even be a factor and it won't lead to matchups in other sports. BTW, I believe we deserved no better than a 5 or 6 seed and Louisville kicked our butts.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It does have relevance to DC area recruits and that is why we scheduled Georgetown. Syracuse wants to also schedule Georgetown and St. Johns for the same reason. We are hesitating to schedule Nova because we already play Temple in the Philadelphia market. We won't be scheduling any team that isn't home and home because we don't have to.

That's absolutely not true at all.

We're playing Georgetown because they are a national program, rival, and will be a big draw at home.

The fact that you think UConn by scheduling 1 game in DC during a potential recruiting phase gives us relevance in the area is based on some notion from the 80s.

All of our games are on tv, how you think one game in DC is meaningful at all to a recruit is kind of beyond me.

I'm only getting so agitated by this train of thought because it's exactly the kind of p.$.$y attitude our rivals say about scheduling football/ basketball games in CT. " Nothing to be gained."

Yea, except for playing a big game against your rival.. But who cares about that anymore?

Reaction Score
That's absolutely not true at all.

We're playing Georgetown because they are a national program, rival, and will be a big draw at home.

The fact that you think UConn by scheduling 1 game in DC during a potential recruiting phase gives us relevance in the area is based on some notion from the 80s.

All of our games are on tv, how you think one game in DC is meaningful at all to a recruit is kind of beyond me.

I'm only getting so agitated by this train of thought because it's exactly the kind of p.$.$y attitude our rivals say about scheduling football/ basketball games in CT. " Nothing to be gained."

Yea, except for playing a big game against your rival.. But who cares about that anymore?

So in your mind, playing a game against Georgetown in Washington D.C. gives us an equal amount of exposure in that city as playing Michigan State in a game that is broadcast on TV in Washington D.C? That's really what you think? Really?

Reaction Score
So in your mind, playing a game against Georgetown in Washington D.C. gives us an equal amount of exposure in that city as playing Michigan State in a game that is broadcast on TV in Washington D.C? That's really what you think? Really?
Doesn't matter. We have what we have, and it's hardly anything to sneeze at. This isn't a universe where you just pick a date, time, place, and then call up whomever you want.

Reaction Score
Doesn't matter. We have what we have, and it's hardly anything to sneeze at. This isn't a universe where you just pick a date, time, place, and then call up whomever you want.
I have no idea what any of this means. Maybe you could elaborate.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

What I'm arguing is that the exposure by playing in a given city is absolutely meaningless ( exception being NYC as it's our home away from home).

Both games are going to be on espn. A kid looking to play d1 hoops from DC is somehow supposed to be more interested or aware of UConn based on one game near his city over the course of 4 years? I don't buy that at all.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
What I'm arguing is that the exposure by playing in a given city is absolutely meaningless ( exception being NYC as it's our home away from home).

Both games are going to be on espn. A kid looking to play d1 hoops from DC is somehow supposed to be more interested or aware of UConn based on one game near his city over the course of 4 years? I don't buy that at all.
I have to agree with you on this. Unless recruits we're interested in the DC area are going to the game. That's a different story. But I doubt if that happens. Therefore recruits watching UConn on television (and some admitted they don't watch any games on television), could care less if the arena is in DC or on the moon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom