UConn games in MSG, ranked | The Boneyard

UConn games in MSG, ranked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The candidates, in no particular order:

UConn 65, Georgetown 60 (1990 BET semis) -- the game, even more than the title win over Syracuse 24 hours later, that really cemented us as a program on the national stage.

We'd always given Syracuse trouble, but this was the first season we went toe-to-toe with Georgetown (and this was a really, really good Hoyas team). Even though we'd been a juggernaut during the second half of the regular season most thought we'd lose this one... but we didn't.

UConn 60, Michigan St 54 (2014 NCAA Elite 8) -- First NCAA tourney games at MSG in decades, we're coming off the tourney ban, Ollie is still trying to prove himself, the whole arena is filled with Husky fans and absolutely rocking, and a program that was left for dead goes ahead and qualifies for the Final 4.

UConn 75, Georgetown 74 (1996 BET championship) -- Ray Allen, Rickey Moore & an 11-point deficit to Iverson's Georgetown.

UConn 82, St. John's 63 (1999 BET championship) -- The best game, given the stakes and the quality of the opponent, a UConn team has ever played, and the launching pad to our first national title.

UConn 76, Pittsburgh 74 (2011 BET QFs) -- Cardiac Kemba does it again. A legend was born and the most epic run in college hoops history had its iconic moment here.

Syracuse 127, UConn 117 (6 OT) (2009 BET QFs) -- A legendary game between two legendary college programs led by two legendary coaches. Obviously we destroy them if Dyson's healthy, but it is what it is.

And just to make this point: I don't hate this game the way a lot of UConn fans do. Obviously it's never fun losing to Syracuse, but we're so much better than them -- 4>1, right? -- that I can live with this just fine. It's literally their second-greatest moment as a basketball program, and it came in a tournament they didn't even win.

UConn 72, Ohio State 67 (1988 NIT championship)
-- You could argue that the semifinal win over BC deserves a spot here instead, partially because of what it signified for the future of New England basketball, partially because of what it signified for the future of the Big East, and partially because of what Lyman did to Barros. But I don't think that game matters as much as actually winning a title. For those old enough to remember: this was the game that really caused the state to start to fall in love with UConn hoops.

UConn 74, Pitt 65 (2 OT) (2002 BET championship) -- Caron, Emeka, Ben, Taliek and Tony. God I loved this team.

Off the top of my head, that's the list. There have been other close/great games (the win over Pitt in 2004; the loss to 'Cuse in 2006; Villanova's absolutely stunning, flawless victory in the 1995 final; a few regular season performances here and there), but I think these are a cut above.

So... how do we rank them? I'm curious to know what everyone thinks.

Reaction Score

UConn 65, Georgetown 60 (1990 BET semis) -- the game, even more than the title win over Syracuse 24 hours later, that really cemented us as a program on the national stage.

We'd always given Syracuse trouble, but this was the first season we went toe-to-toe with Georgetown (and this was a really, really good Hoyas team). Even though we'd been a juggernaut during the second half of the regular season most thought we'd lose this one... but we didn't.

UConn 60, Michigan St 54 (2014 NCAA Elite 8) -- First NCAA tourney games at MSG in decades, we're coming off the tourney ban, Ollie is still trying to prove himself, the whole arena is filled with Husky fans and absolutely rocking, and a program that was left for dead goes ahead and qualifies for the Final 4.

UConn 75, Georgetown 74 (1996 BET championship) -- Ray Allen, Rickey Moore & an 11-point deficit to Iverson's Georgetown.

UConn 82, St. John's 63 (1999 BET championship) -- The best game, given the stakes and the quality of the opponent, a UConn team has ever played, and the launching pad to our first national title.

UConn 76, Pittsburgh 74 (2011 BET QFs) -- Cardiac Kemba does it again. A legend was born and the most epic run in college hoops history had its iconic moment here.

Syracuse 127, UConn 117 (6 OT) (2009 BET QFs) -- A legendary game between two legendary college programs led by two legendary coaches. Obviously we destroy them if Dyson's healthy, but it is what it is.

And just to make this point: I don't hate this game the way a lot of UConn fans do. Obviously it's never fun losing to Syracuse, but we're so much better than them -- 4>1, right? -- that I can live with this just fine. It's literally their second-greatest moment as a basketball program, and it came in a tournament they didn't even win.

-- You could argue that the semifinal win over BC deserves a spot here instead, partially because of what it signified for the future of New England basketball, partially because of what it signified for the future of the Big East, and partially because of what Lyman did to Barros. But I don't think that game matters as much as actually winning a title. For those old enough to remember: this was the game that really caused the state to start to fall in love with UConn hoops.

UConn 74, Pitt 65 (2 OT) (2002 BET championship) -- Caron, Emeka, Ben, Taliek and Tony. God I loved this team.

Off the top of my head, that's the list. There have been other close/great games (the win over Pitt in 2004; the loss to 'Cuse in 2006; Villanova's absolutely stunning, flawless victory in the 1995 final; a few regular season performances here and there), but I think these are a cut above.

Tough one.

I'll give it a try:

1. UConn/MSU 2014: On to the first FF (and Natl Championship) in the post JC era.

2. Cardiac Kemba: 'Nuff said

3. 1996 vs GTown: Ray with the the wild, off-balance game winner to cap an 11 pt comeback.

4. 2002 vs Pitt: Taliek with the deep three. The rise of Pitt basketball and a tremendous rivalry. As well as the beginning of EO and BG's illustrious careers.

5. UConn 1990 tourney: The whole tournament. The footage I have seen was electrifying. Huskymania.

6. UConn/SJU 1999: 10-0 start and took care of business in a road game.

7. UConn/The OSU: A glimpse into what JC would inevitably deliver: A national power.

8. UConn/Cuse 2009: Epic, epic game. But good guys lose.

Reaction Score
The 6 OT game is #1, to me. Obviously, as a UConn fan, it isn't the most satisfying...but everything about that game - ED on top of the scorers table only to have the shot called off, everybody hunched over at the knees, the walk-ons/bench-warmers coming in late because both teams were out of bodies, Bilas/Raf/McDonough, etc. - screamed once in a lifetime. That's the one that college basketball fans will remember.

Reaction Score
The 6 OT game is #1, to me. Obviously, as a UConn fan, it isn't the most satisfying...but everything about that game - ED on top of the scorers table only to have the shot called off, everybody hunched over at the knees, the walk-ons/bench-warmers coming in late because both teams were out of bodies, Bilas/Raf/McDonough, etc. - screamed once in a lifetime. That's the one that college basketball fans will remember.
The quality of play in the game itself was so bad though. Syracuse played poorly, and we were terrible.

Reaction Score
Even though the Pitt game in 2011 was what got the train really moving, the BET championship game against Lousiville should be up there, too.

Some thought they'd be gassed and that UL's pressure D would finally break them.

The ending of that game was pretty crazy also, with Kemba's dish to Lamb, UL's turnover on the inbounds, Kemba fouling Marra at the 3pt line, and UL's miss at the buzzer.

It's so hard to rank these though.

Reaction Score
UConn GTown for the older crowd in '90 BE semi's should be #1. That team made it happen for everything that has followed and winning a BET was unthinkable until then. Still picture Smitty making that lay up and falling only not to see it go in as he was fouled, Tate picking him up and Smitty saying "it went in?" and smiling. HUGE win for the program.

I get the Kemba shot and the Michigan State game but I'm telling you that 90 team cleared the way for the rest.

Just one old bastards opinion!

Reaction Score
It's only great because of length. We weren't at full strength, lead in every overtime and could never close it out. Scottie Harrelson was taking big shots for us in the last OT.

Reaction Score
UConn GTown for the older crowd in '90 BE semi's should be #1. That team made it happen for everything that has followed and winning a BET was unthinkable until then. Still picture Smitty making that lay up and falling only not to see it go in as he was fouled, Tate picking him up and Smitty saying "it went in?" and smiling. HUGE win for the program.

I get the Kemba shot and the Michigan State game but I'm telling you that 90 team cleared the way for the rest.

Just one old bastards opinion!
It's between that and the Michigan State game for me.

People thought our program was going to die after the ban and CR. Winning that game not only put that to bed, but it A) propelled us into the Final 4, B) did so at the expense of the hot, pre-tournament favorite with a Hall of Fame coach, C) made the narrative for the tournament's return to MSG "UConn, and UConn's fans, own this place."

Those are probably the two biggest non-championship wins in program history.

Reaction Score
The quality of play in the game itself was so bad though. Syracuse played poorly, and we were terrible.

It's only great because of length. We weren't at full strength, lead in every overtime and could never close it out. Scottie Harrelson was taking big shots for us in the last OT.

I won't argue that point, though, to be fair, the quality wasn't the highest in some of the other games on the list ('14 MSU comes to mind, even though it was a defensive masterpiece).

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Started like five times and found it impossible to rank these. All were just so freakin incredible.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
G'town '90. Announced to the world UConn was here.
MSU '14. Closest UConn has had to a "home" game in E8. Awesome crowd.
G'town '96. Ray Ray and Iverson.
Pitt '11. Iconic shot by Kemba.
Pitt '02. Brown's bomb.
OSU '88. First time UConn won anything there.
'99 SJU. Don't remember anything about this game.
'09 Cuse. UConn lost. This goes on the bottom.

Reaction Score
Have to go with a game that is not on the list. Jan 30, 1999. #1 huskies vs. #9 St. John's. Back and forth game, CBS, Artest et al. This was the last weekend game under Lucifer, he moved Uconn games to weekday to avoid the throng of Huskie fans who filled the Garden that day. 78-74 victory. Lost my voice that day.

Reaction Score
Have to go with a game that is not on the list. Jan 30, 1999. #1 huskies vs. #9 St. John's. Back and forth game, CBS, Artest et al. This was the last weekend game under Lucifer, he moved Uconn games to weekday to avoid the throng of Huskie fans who filled the Garden that day. 78-74 victory. Lost my voice that day.

I was there, great game for sure. For the fans, the noise and Huskies beginning to make their huge presence know at MSG.

But unfortunately compared to the real impact games in tourneys and such it falls just a bit short. But agree, really good game.

Reaction Score

That 1990 BET was really special. After beating GTown we fell behind early to Cuse and then came charging back. Remember being on the court after the game and then heading to the Blarney Rock. .

Reaction Score
That 1990 BET was really special. After beating GTown we fell behind early to Cuse and then came charging back. Remember being on the court after the game and then heading to the Blarney Rock. .

we probably high five in the Rock lol

Reaction Score
It's gotta be MSU, stakes were the highest. The rest you can speculate whether they lead t future NC's or not, MSU we know it did. Plus it was a great game, amazing atmosphere, solidified the whole Storrs South thing, etc

Reaction Score
The UConn comeback against BCU in the 1988 NIT was a far more satisfying game then the final against OSU. That baby laid some demons to rest.

It has been over shadowed in Huskies history but at the time of the game only the NCAA win against Princeton was bigger.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think I was at every one of these except the 6OT debacle and the NIT vs. OSU. I'd put the MSU game at the top.

I'd also include the 2004 Pitt game (which is in the Pantheon of painful UConn victories for me, along with the Duke NCAA semi-final that year), and Donyell's 42 pointer vs. St. John's in '94. I was also there for both of those and they are every bit as indelible for me as the others listed.

Reaction Score
I think I was at every one of these except the 6OT debacle and the NIT vs. OSU. I'd put the MSU game at the top.

I'd also include the 2004 Pitt game (which is in the Pantheon of painful UConn victories for me, along with the Duke NCAA semi-final that year), and Donyell's 42 pointer vs. St. John's in '94. I was also there for both of those and they are every bit as indelible for me as the others listed.

I was also at the Donyell 42 pt game. A BigEast record 20-20 from the ft line!

Reaction Score
I tried to rank this list like 3 times and gave up.. I do not have the MSU game as high as others do though, without being in the arena I can't speak to the volume of the crowd but that one never resonated with me as much as it did with others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom