UCONN Football - Where we've been.....Where are we going? | The Boneyard

UCONN Football - Where we've been.....Where are we going?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We are at yet another critical juncture for UCONN Football. I'ld really like some discussion along those lines. Two parts to this post. First, where we've been and second the questions that dot the future.

Where we've been:
Since entering the Big East for the 2004 season (a year earlier than planned given the unexpected departures of Miami and VT) UCONN has posted an overall record of 55-44 for a .556 winning mark (25-30 or .455 in conference). In my opinion UCONN avoided the worst case scenario which was a prolonged period of uncompetitive football as an emerging BCS entrant. That scenario would have translated into poor attendance, poor media coverage and recruiting challenges well above what we currently face. A solid foundation has been laid.

It is important to remember that UCONN entered the Big East with less than the full alotted scholarships alowed and, as a new BCS entrant, a marked disadvantage in recruiting. If we look at the last five seasons the overall record is 38-26 for a .594 winning mark and a 19-16 or .543 record in conference. This period includes two conference co-championships, and BCS bowl appearance and four bowl appearances overall.

While the recruiting sites show little to no progress on the recruiting front, there can be little arguement that the overall talent level on the field has continued to improve since entering the Big East. All Conference selections have increases as has the stream of UCONN players during the NFL draft. UCONN seldom steps onto the field anymore where the talent differential is so great that a win is beyond a reasonable expectation. Moreover, the UCONN Program appears to be doing this the right way, with high graduation rates and kids who largely stay out of trouble.

I think most would agree that UCONN Football has gotten off to a solid start.

Where are we going?:
UCONN Football to my mind faces two significant questions as we move forward. Can this new coaching staff continue the positive trend and bring the program to the "next level". Second, what does the current conference landscape mean for UCONN Football.

This coaching staff will prove itselft by improving recruiting and having that translate into consistent winning and contention for conference championships. I don't think it is much more complicated than that. If UCONN is to be in a conference for a prlonged period of time is without Cuse, Pitt and WVU, then the expectations for winning should be significantly greater.

As for conference affiliation, it is almost impossible to know what the future holds. That a UCONN program has currently matched or surpassed established northeast programs such as BC and Syracuse appears evident. Without a stable conference affiliation can that continue?

I will say this, the one element to all this largely within UCONN's control is performance. Winning will drive and increase the UCONN following and that, in turn, increases the odds that the next round of conference realignment will fall UCONN's way. We fans need to take our share of responsibility for this as well.

There is much for UCONN Nation to be proud of in this short football history. There is much that is left undecided as we move forward. My fingers are crossed that Coach P is up to the task.

Reaction Score
Where are we going? While I agree that winning will help drive attendance, I'd suggest that whatever attendance grows to, we need to be in our seats by kickoff. Here we are a mere 20 minutes before the game begins, and our excellent Marching Band performs its stirring pregame show to the - ahem--screaming throngs of Husky fans. It's shameful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3dW6AqRFP0

Reaction Score
Fully agree that we need to get much better as fans.

And the point about our band is right on......they are terrific and folks should appreciate them much more than they do.

Reaction Score
I hope we go up. Not sure how recruits will look at our new BE schools. Boise St is ok not sure about SMU? Air Force?? They are not a top 25 team. Navy? Big E needs to improve or talent will go elsewhere. What about our future offensive coordinator? Hope we get a good one. If we go ACC think we will be able to recruit better players and possibly get to where we want to be. If not i'm not confident its going to happen.

Reaction Score
Conference affiliation is a huge issue, no doubt. That said, I do think there is a scenario where UCONN fares well in a watered down Big East. If the football program performs very well in whatever this conference configuration ends up being, I could see where UCONN's regional appeal might surpass it's regional peers - namely Syracuse, BC and Rutgers.

Syracuse and BC may very well flounder in the ACC. Conference affiliation is very important, but if you turn into Indiana or Duke football it is not going to do you much good. Both those programs are teatering on that ledge. As for Rutgers?.....we've been operating an athletic department with national success for two decades while they have accomplished nada.

It all comes down to winnnig where ever we are imo.

Reaction Score
Disagree that the new Big East is watered down. I think that, from a football standpoint, we are ahead of where we were. Boise, Houston, CFU and SMU, in addition to what is still here, is better than what we lost (net). Certainly losing the doormat Cuse and Pitt is big, but not that big. Basketball lost though.

Reaction Score
No reason UCONN should not dominate Houston and SMU. If UCONN can be the dominant program in the northeast, then our success with CFU and Boise should also be considerable.

Reaction Score
I hope we go up. Not sure how recruits will look at our new BE schools. Boise St is ok not sure about SMU? Air Force?? They are not a top 25 team. Navy? Big E needs to improve or talent will go elsewhere. What about our future offensive coordinator? Hope we get a good one. If we go ACC think we will be able to recruit better players and possibly get to where we want to be. If not i'm not confident its going to happen.
Where did our OC go?

Reaction Score
Disagree that the new Big East is watered down. I think that, from a football standpoint, we are ahead of where we were. Boise, Houston, CFU and SMU, in addition to what is still here, is better than what we lost (net). Certainly losing the doormat Cuse and Pitt is big, but not that big. Basketball lost though.

Just for fun, look at UConn's record/schedule over the past 4 years (don't include bowls) and then estimate what UConn's record would be if they played Boise's schedule (no bowls) over the past 4 seasons. I am just curious how you rate the two.

Reaction Score
Ring ring ! Hello ACC? Yeah we'll be right there.

Reaction Score
We are at yet another critical juncture for UCONN Football. I'ld really like some discussion along those lines. Two parts to this post. First, where we've been and second the questions that dot the future.

Where we've been:
Since entering the Big East for the 2004 season (a year earlier than planned given the unexpected departures of Miami and VT) UCONN has posted an overall record of 55-44 for a .556 winning mark (25-30 or .455 in conference). In my opinion UCONN avoided the worst case scenario which was a prolonged period of uncompetitive football as an emerging BCS entrant. That scenario would have translated into poor attendance, poor media coverage and recruiting challenges well above what we currently face. A solid foundation has been laid.

It is important to remember that UCONN entered the Big East with less than the full alotted scholarships alowed and, as a new BCS entrant, a marked disadvantage in recruiting. If we look at the last five seasons the overall record is 38-26 for a .594 winning mark and a 19-16 or .543 record in conference. This period includes two conference co-championships, and BCS bowl appearance and four bowl appearances overall.

While the recruiting sites show little to no progress on the recruiting front, there can be little arguement that the overall talent level on the field has continued to improve since entering the Big East. All Conference selections have increases as has the stream of UCONN players during the NFL draft. UCONN seldom steps onto the field anymore where the talent differential is so great that a win is beyond a reasonable expectation. Moreover, the UCONN Program appears to be doing this the right way, with high graduation rates and kids who largely stay out of trouble.

I think most would agree that UCONN Football has gotten off to a solid start.

Where are we going?:
UCONN Football to my mind faces two significant questions as we move forward. Can this new coaching staff continue the positive trend and bring the program to the "next level". Second, what does the current conference landscape mean for UCONN Football.

This coaching staff will prove itselft by improving recruiting and having that translate into consistent winning and contention for conference championships. I don't think it is much more complicated than that. If UCONN is to be in a conference for a prlonged period of time is without Cuse, Pitt and WVU, then the expectations for winning should be significantly greater.

As for conference affiliation, it is almost impossible to know what the future holds. That a UCONN program has currently matched or surpassed established northeast programs such as BC and Syracuse appears evident. Without a stable conference affiliation can that continue?

I will say this, the one element to all this largely within UCONN's control is performance. Winning will drive and increase the UCONN following and that, in turn, increases the odds that the next round of conference realignment will fall UCONN's way. We fans need to take our share of responsibility for this as well.

There is much for UCONN Nation to be proud of in this short football history. There is much that is left undecided as we move forward. My fingers are crossed that Coach P is up to the task.

1. First, thank you for a great post.

2. You clearly don't get the history. You are supposed to say "trailors," which is code for demanding that we forget it wasn't certain that we'd enter the world of big time football as a Kentucky -- Indiana -- Duke perennial bottom feeder. It is not acceptable to note that we accomplished something by winning games more often than not as soon as we did.

3. Conference realignment and fanbase will not determine how likely the new staff is to succeed, but over time they will control a large part of the chances for success for the program. Will we buy more tickets, donate more money and travel to more games. That will help the program in attracting recruits, publicity and, hopefully one day, a stable conference. But while I'm happy to predict how players I've seen and read about will do, I have no ability to know if we have a fanbase that can help take this program, as a program, to the next level.

Reaction Score
Biz -

I am guardedly optimistic about this fan base. Yes, the late arrivals and early departures are disheartening. But, the atmosphere is good and fun. Folks enjoy the tailgating and appear to be learning more about what college football should be about.

We have to win though. We just don't have the tradition to go through a drought and still expect fans in the seats.

Reaction Score
This fanbase, in hoops, had been something special. There aren't many programs who had fans who could take over a gym on the road, as we routinely did in the Meadowlands, Chestnut Hill or the Dunk. And that is not even mentioning what the women's fans did.

The start that the football team got off to was unthinkable. To open at the Rent, for a program that had trouble getting 15k to its games for its lower classification history, and just be close to a sell out on day one was unbelievable. But the fact that in year 9 attendance was probably comparable to that in year 1 was a little disheartening. I know it's a terrible time economically, but I'm far more converned that we fill the seats for big home games -- really fill the seats, as opposed to announcing sell outs that didn't happen -- than I am about when people sit down for the start of a game.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Sorry I was being sarcastic..Our QB coach has left for the Bronx, our OC is still very much here...
wow i completely missed the boat on that 1. lol

Reaction Score
Just for fun, look at UConn's record/schedule over the past 4 years (don't include bowls) and then estimate what UConn's record would be if they played Boise's schedule (no bowls) over the past 4 seasons. I am just curious how you rate the two.
Not sure what you are after here. I was not comparing the competition, but who let and who is coming.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Can we bribe people to come in early? I'm completely serious... a pre-kickoff raffle, where 50 random fans get $10 concourse voucher or gift card somewhere... must present ticket within the stadium to win. Would that move the needle at all? I know most of us here don't need to be bribed to be in our seats, but maybe it would help other folks drop that last beer in the lot if there was a chance they could get one for free as soon as they walk in...

Reaction Score
At what point can we stop using trailers as the excuse du jour every time we want to excuse our perceived lack of success?

It's important to know and understand these factors, but I would rather start with relatively blank slate than have Indiana's start point.

Again, I am not saying that it's not valid to say that we once operated from trailers. I am just saying that is a past condition and not a good excuse or reason for current performance.

Reaction Score
CTMike, I'm all for incentivizing fans to get in before kickoff. Maybe two free drink vouchers if ticket is scanned 15 min before kickoff. Being in early will probably result in their buying extra drinks during the game so it might be a wash for the vendors. Whatever the gimmick, we need to do something because while I concur that getting folks to buy tickets is paramount, the aura and perception of the viewing public about our program is often set when the game broadcast begins. There is no reason we can't project a better image to the public (not to mention how the team feels running out of the tunnel to a 3/4 empty stadium). It's a joke and we need to fix it.

Reaction Score
When lived in Ct got in early for games 'cause I liked to watch pregame warmups. A lot of fans don't, so what. I also would go early to girls and boys basketball games 'cause I like to watch shooting form, body language, see size and heft of other players, etc. All this fan angst is loser talk. Win games. Uconn tailgating is SEC class (even with the lame hours restrictions - now that would help get fans in as they could go back to tailgating after early games and do more before late games).

Improve the recruiting and coaching and no one will be talking about BCU type "image" of stadium that needs to be improved.

Reaction Score
Stop with the excuses. Winning games won't change a thing about getting butts into seats before kickoff. There need to be either incentives or penalties.

Reaction Score
Incentives to get into the stadium early don't necessarily equate to people sitting in their seat at kickoff. Much more likely that you'll have longer lines trying to get in through the gates, and more people milling around the concourse prior to kick. People have to want to be sitting in their seat at kickoff. The best way, to make that happen, is to win games, get national recognition (top 25 regular status) and play exciting football. You can do both at the same time, and it's ok to want it. The environment around a football game at Rentschler stadium is first class college football gameday. It's really an amazing thing we've got going, and all you need to do is go to some games elsewhere in teh world and compare. Teh product on the field needs to be first class too, to draw the people away from the other things they can be doing, if they're going to want to be in their seat when the ball is kicked. We have had winning teams, and won a lot of games, but we have not competed well in BIG games, where people are most interested in being there to see everythign happen, and we have not had an exciting team , except for flashes of kick returns in many years.

Before somebody has a cow, I am not saying that I would trade an exciting team for wins, and to me, I love watching a solid a running game, and I watch pretty much everything but the ball when I'm watching, but I'm not the average football viewer.

We have not had a QB on the field that was compelling to watch with the ball in his hands (except to hope that disaster is avoided) in 7 years.

This game is about players, and we need playmaker types of players to step up to the plate and be playmakers regularly aroudn the ball on offense. We need to keep generating QB sacks, and interceptions and loud tackles on defense. We need to do all of that, and still be disciplined and win games by being smart. You can be disciplined and tough and smart and be exciting and take risks too.

Reaction Score
Why does it bother most of us when stands are not filled at gametime? While it bothers me and the fact that fans leave early, I understand why. Only 50% of the people who go to games really go to watch UConn Football. We invite our friends who just go to say they went to a game and tailgate. They eat and chat in the parking lots. 75% of the women could care less. Not you gals on here your a completely different story.:D Be happy we get such a good turnout. Until UConn can get to the next level. (Top 25 team year after year). Its not happening. I don't expect it in my lifetime.:(.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom