HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
:cool: Extra spicy because, you know, Liberty

B6F4FF04-0315-478A-911D-96D8C6AA6EA0.jpeg

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I've been hesitant to overreact, but the clinching of bowl eligibility — with a win over the AP #19 team, no less — marks one of the most dramatic 12-month turnarounds I've ever seen. And this was despite a terrible wave of injuries that claimed the starting QB and other key players.

UConn football was at an existential crossroads last season: either drop to FCS (or even disband, as more than a few suggested) or recommit to being competitive in FBS.

Hiring Mora was a huge step forward. Next is to follow up with the very sizable investments it will take to compete with the big dogs and be more than just a bowl-eligible team.

But for today, let's celebrate.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I hope I don’t come across as a Debbie Downer - I am so pleased at the turnaround of the football program as well as the strength of so many other Huskie teams.

After last week’s win, the athletic department put out a call for fans to commit to buying tickets to show potential bowl reps that it would be a great investment in inviting UConn should we become bowl eligible.

I am saddened by what the impression was on bowl reps watching the game on television by repeated screen shots showing all those empty seats.

Reaction Score
Now let's hope some power 5 program doesn't come to take our coach away with an offer we can't match ..on the hand how long will it be before the Big10 or ACC comes recruiting Uconn now that its football program has to be upgraded ..maybe a test will be if we can put Rutgers on the schedule next..great job coach please stay !!

Reaction Score
lol said it when he got hired, he beat on USC, was happy he was let go, not because I wanted him fired, but because he beat us 3 in a row. They screwed up, and now Chip Kelly is ruining their program.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Just checked the early morning ESPN site. Scrolling down a few pictures one headline
reports that:

TCU stays unbeaten
Texas A&M hits a new low
and...I quote: "UConn [!] is bowl eligible". 'Twas a headline and the exclamation point is not mine
but theirs.

Are we now more than a blip on the radar in football?
BTW: just be sure: being 'bowl eligible' does not mean you automatically get a bowl bid...correct?

Lose at Army...we would be 6-6...still eligible. In your opinion...do we still get a bid?
Win at Army...7-5...on a streak...I assume we would.

UConn at Army on Saturday November 19 at noon. TV channel??

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Yeah, I know the rules but I gotta try to sneak this in through the Semi UConn Related door:

Shea Ralph’s school also won a football game yesterday as Vanderbilt upset Kentucky to break a 20+ SEC losing streak. They join UConn as the two schools to be greatly congratulated today.

Mora! Coach of the Year? I’m

Reaction Score
Now let's hope some power 5 program doesn't come to take our coach away with an offer we can't match ..on the hand how long will it be before the Big10 or ACC comes recruiting Uconn now that its football program has to be upgraded ..maybe a test will be if we can put Rutgers on the schedule next..great job coach please stay !!
Upgrade attendance. That’s as important as winning to P-5 conferences.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
BTW: just be sure: being 'bowl eligible' does not mean you automatically get a bowl bid...correct?

UConn at Army on Saturday November 19 at noon. TV channel??
You are correct - no one is guaranteed a bowl appearance except the top teams. Bowls have contracts with conferences (see belo) and there are tiers that are determined by conference rank, for example the best team in the Big 10 plays a tier 1 bowl.

I’m hoping for the Cure Bowl in Orlando, 25 minutes from our house, or Gasparilla Bowl in Tampa. The Fenway Bowl has expressed an interest in UConn, which would be good for attendance.

UConn-Army is on CBSSN.

Reaction Score
If the Huskies beat Army then win a bowl game, you will see Mora gone. He would have used UConn as a stepping stone .

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If the Huskies beat Army then win a bowl game, you will see Mora gone. He would have used UConn as a stepping stone .
Mora is 60 years old. He has held 12 different coaching jobs in college and the pros, and he has been fired 3 different occasions during his coaching career. Mora had been out of coaching for 5 years before taking the head job at UConn.

Mora once described his “dream job” as the HC position at his alma mater, the University of Washington. The HC at Washington is currently 47 year old Kalen DeBoer, who has turned around the Huskies football program, currently 8-2, including an upset over #6 Oregon last night.

Mora’s salary at UConn is $1.5 million/yr. I seriously doubt that he’s looking to be a “one and done” HC at UConn at this point in his career.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
The football board has many rather complex examinations of our bowl possibilities...both 7-5 and
6-6 are looked at. It is a definite Hail Mary for me to try to understand it all but there is considerable disagreement...make a bowl or not...many factors involving other teams on the bubble. Overall...it does sound promising.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom