UConn Football: The Bridge Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Football: The Bridge Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The problem in my eyes with the tear down and rebuild approach is that they didn't get better the whole season. In fact, the last game they may have had their most disappointing performance on the year, in a year with many to chose from.

We have no choice to go all in on the guy but it's just hope and faith at this point.
That was the biggest worry for me as well. I suppose with a thin roster especially on the offensive side it's harder to show improvement. But improvement over the course of the season, in at least some of the positions/units, was the biggest thing that I wanted to see that did not happen. That makes improvements over the spring/summer much more urgent if the goal of becoming bowl eligible is to be a real goal for the team.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My problem with that is that I really think the program needs a real shot in the arm. Needed it last year really and is desperate now. Relatively speaking Addazzio didn't come into a better situation at BC but managed to win 6 his first year. Franklin came into arguably the worst situation in 1A football at Vandy and won 6. We had a weak schedule, some momentum and some excitement with a new coach and went 2-10 and worse looked bad doing it. If this is a bridge year we really need to see some girders going up THIS year. If not you need to question whether he is the builder or just the demo guy.

Not only is this meme old, it is patently false.

More often than not, BC has decent offensive lines. Addazzio rode a strong offensive line and running game in 2013 (you may remember that Andre Williams received an invitation to the Downtown Athletic Club?), and then combined the O-line with Tyler Murphy last year. UConn has not been able to put together either of those combinations since at least 2011.

Franklin's wins in year 1 were Elon College (5-6 FCS), UConn (5-7 and sinking), Ole Miss (2-10, scored 7 pts or less 5 times), Kentucky (5-7, scored 10 pts or less 6 times), Army (3-9), and Wake Forest (6-7). Combined record of Vandy's opponents in wins: 26-46, 0.361 pct.

In 2012, Vandy started 2-4 before going on a 7 game win streak against a down Auburn team (3-9), UMass (1-11), Kentucky (2-10), Ol Miss (7-6), Tennessee (5-7), not-as-spunky Wake Forest (5-7) and NC State (7-6). Combined record of Vandy's opponents in wins (including Presbyterian who was 2-9 in FCS): 37-72, 0.339 pct.

Just by virtue of playing in the SEC, Franklin had a better roster than what Coach Diaco inherited, but he didn't exactly lay the wood to the SEC either. Not for nothing but looking at Franklin's first year in the Big Ten, a case can be made that Franklin has been doing it all with mirrors. He did beat UCF (So did UConn), but his other wins were Akron, Rutgers, UMass, Indiana, Temple and BC. Good for him. I hope Coach Diaco fakes it until he makes it to a 6-6 record too, but Franklin is not exactly an apples to apples case study.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
amory said:
I'm just looking for him to show he's not actually a crazy person. At first it was like "oh that Bob Diaco, what a crazy guy."

After some of the interviews and press conferences and in-game decisions last season it became "...wait hang on so is this guy actually nuts?"

I think someone made a comparison to Coach Diaco and a crazy uncle. The question was, is he the mad scientist genius crazy uncle or just plain crazy. This year will be telling. His in game coaching and truly odd quotes make me extremely nervous. But on the other hand, it looks like recruits and players like him. I am hoping for the best.

I just want to see improvement as the year progresses. The team regressed as the year went on last season.

Reaction Score
I think Diaco is more a methodical problem solver than a unique strategist. He surveyed the 2014 squad, saw athletes out of shape and unfocused and decided that trimming the fat(losing undesirables included) and setting the direction for the program were priority 1 & 1A. Whether they won games or not it was going to be more about setting up healthy daily routines. So he addressed that by bringing in Balis. Then he looked at the weakest links, the O-line and the QB situation. He gave Foley the boot, slid his long time trusted friend Cummings over to hopefully get that mess on track, recruited a Juco QB and as his first verbal for 2016 recruited another QB. So beginning next spring you'll have 5 in the stable. He sees the home game attendance and is trying everything to attract a crowd to the program from making his rounds with the state coaches, appearances in Fairfield County, Football 101 night, Season Ticket Holder B-B-Q. The Civil Conflict idea looks foolish to most but if that game turns into a real tooth & nail dog fight and UConn somehow knocks off the Knights 2 years in a row it could possibly turn into something. I don't know how it will attract more UCF fans to visit E. Hartford but it might attract a larger TV audience and change a ESPNU game into a ESPN game down the road. I think by virtue of them being in better shape and more focused your going to see a game like that South Florida deluge slide into the win column and the team still be in contention for a bowl berth approaching Thanksgiving.

Reaction Score

More often than not, BC has decent offensive lines. Addazzio rode a strong offensive line and running game in 2013 (you may remember that Andre Williams received an invitation to the Downtown Athletic Club?), and then combined the O-line with Tyler Murphy last year. UConn has not been able to put together either of those combinations since at least 2011..
Addazzio did play to his strengths year 1 with Williams (and a great 5th year transfer on the OL) and he found quicker ways to fill holes with 5th year transfers (2 OL and Murphy). BD chose or did not know how to follow that kind of scenario. I believe he chose a path that enables building and is and may be continue to be willing to sacrifice wins for building. Is it right or is it wrong? Hopefully we know by the end of this year but most likely not until the end of next year.

Reaction Score
BD chose or did not know how to follow that kind of scenario.
Or tried the transfer route and there were no ready options that fit into the holes needing to be filled.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Addazzio did play to his strengths year 1 with Williams (and a great 5th year transfer on the OL) and he found quicker ways to fill holes with 5th year transfers (2 OL and Murphy). BD chose or did not know how to follow that kind of scenario. I believe he chose a path that enables building and is and may be continue to be willing to sacrifice wins for building. Is it right or is it wrong? Hopefully we know by the end of this year but most likely not until the end of next year.
Or he was unable, given the personnel.

Let's put into basketball terms.

Creighton was ranked in the low teens for most of the 2103-14season, led by Doug McDermott and Ethan Wagge. These two players graduate and Creighton falls to the bottom of the Big East in 2015.

Duke loses Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood and they win a National Title.

Creighton (hopefully) rebuilds. Duke reloads.

I am in no way saying the BC football is on the same footing as Duke in basketball. I went to extremes to illustrate my point. Diaco had some talent on last years team, but the team did not have the personnel as a whole that he could exploit.

Reaction Score
Bob Diaco is the head coach, and it's his job to put a team together that can achieve success in #1 the classroom and #2 on the field in the AAC conference. He appears to have taken the past year to squarely address #1 successfully.

He was hired in December 2013, and as of Thursday evening Sept 3, 2015, he will have had essentially 20-21 calendar months on the job to identify and assemble a roster of 105 players, 85 scholarships, for kickoff that night, that fit both #1 and #2. He will have had 2 spring football sessions, 2 fall camps, and 1 full season of practice and game experience as a head coach in guiding his staff in running practices, developing game plans, and competing in games. The majority of his roster will have had at least one full off season strength and conditioning program, and most will have had 2.

On Thursday night Sept. 3 will play Andy Talley's Villanova 1-AA team. The game should be a fight early, but by the second half, we should be dominating them. Their quarterback should come away from this game beaten up and bruised, and their running game held to a very low total. Our offense should be efficient enough to maintain possession and advance the ball and gain first downs (NO TURNOVERS) - and disciplined enough not to be committing procedural and fundamental skill penalties (PLEASE NO MORE CHOP BLOCKS) and win the battle of the line of scrimmage on offense because of strength condition and recruiting of lineman and TE's and backs, and generate high percentage field position scoring opportunities. Then we need to score. The kicking game needs to cover kicks and punts effectively, and catch kicks effectively without turnovers. We do all of that, and this game should be over by middle of 3rd quarter - in our favor. Apologies to JMoney, but if we're relying on our own QB play to win this game - we are in trouble I think.

Following that - we get Army at home. The terrible triple option offense. That will be another fantastic test of where we are at as a coaching staff and a team, and once again, apologies to JMoney, but if we are relying on QB play again to win that game, we are in trouble. We shouldn't really need a great game from the QB position until week 3.

We will know a heck of a lot more about this team, and Bob Diaco as a head coach, by the end of week 2, than we learned all of last season - I think.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I just hope the fans have that kind of patience. Worst case is the revolving door.
No the worst case is continued 2 loss (or less) seasons, coupled with more tone deaf moments. Bob's got to show us something this year.

Husky25

Reaction Score
No the worst case is continued 2 loss (or less) seasons, coupled with more tone deaf moments. Bob's got to show us something this year.

It is baffling to notice the number of people here who are not willing to give Diaco any benefit of any doubt. Even former "Coach" Pasqualoni had more support going into year 2.

CL82

Reaction Score
It is baffling to notice the number of people here who are not willing to give Diaco any benefit of any doubt. Even former "Coach" Pasqualoni had more support going into year 2.
So you'd be okay with another 2 loss season, without any measurable improvement, Husky?
I'm guessing not, and I don't find it "baffling" in the least.

I'm 100% behind Diaco, (if UConn succeeds, he succeeds), but last year's performance coupled with occasional tone deaf comment (games as practices, phantom rivalries) has me worried.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
The longer the team is irrelevant, the less rope the coach gets. If Diaco were to fail this year, people are going to want him gone. If the next guy fails in 2016, people are going to want him gone. Such is life in a fan base that has experienced greatness in most sports and had a football program with very good potential just 5 years ago.

Reaction Score

More often than not, BC has decent offensive lines. Addazzio rode a strong offensive line and running game in 2013 (you may remember that Andre Williams received an invitation to the Downtown Athletic Club?), and then combined the O-line with Tyler Murphy last year. UConn has not been able to put together either of those combinations since at least 2011.

Franklin's wins in year 1 were Elon College (5-6 FCS), UConn (5-7 and sinking), Ole Miss (2-10, scored 7 pts or less 5 times), Kentucky (5-7, scored 10 pts or less 6 times), Army (3-9), and Wake Forest (6-7). Combined record of Vandy's opponents in wins: 26-46, 0.361 pct.

In 2012, Vandy started 2-4 before going on a 7 game win streak against a down Auburn team (3-9), UMass (1-11), Kentucky (2-10), Ol Miss (7-6), Tennessee (5-7), not-as-spunky Wake Forest (5-7) and NC State (7-6). Combined record of Vandy's opponents in wins (including Presbyterian who was 2-9 in FCS): 37-72, 0.339 pct.

Just by virtue of playing in the SEC, Franklin had a better roster than what Coach Diaco inherited, but he didn't exactly lay the wood to the SEC either. Not for nothing but looking at Franklin's first year in the Big Ten, a case can be made that Franklin has been doing it all with mirrors. He did beat UCF (So did UConn), but his other wins were Akron, Rutgers, UMass, Indiana, Temple and BC. Good for him. I hope Coach Diaco fakes it until he makes it to a 6-6 record too, but Franklin is not exactly an apples to apples case study.
Yeah and Vandys schedule compared with Army, SMU, Tulane, South Florida, Albany? Please! And Vandy had had a history that makes Rutgers look like Ohio State. One yes one, winning season since 1983. Better roster my . Especially in relative terms. Plus note that we came within a boneheaded play by the other guys of going 1-11 and lost to a team that was so bad the didn't know how to line up in the "victory formation." And just to note Franklin may be doing it with mirrors but he wins the games he should win. We couldn't even do that.

Husky25

Reaction Score
So you'd be okay with another 2 loss season, without any measurable improvement, Husky?
I'm guessing not, and I don't find it "baffling" in the least.

I'm 100% behind Diaco, (if UConn succeeds, he succeeds), but last year's performance coupled with occasional tone deaf comment (games as practices, phantom rivalries) has me worried.

Either you don't know what benefit of the doubt means or you are intentionally created a Nelson-level straw man argument. Nowhere in any of my 7,000+ posts (Holy crap, I need a life!!) do I even allude to that as being acceptable, but I also do not expect it, as so many on this board seem to.

What makes you think Diaco will have another 2 win season? Whether the QB is Bryant Shirreffs or Tim Boyle, does he not have an advantage over Whitmer, Cochran, or Boyle '14 in one more year experience under the coaching staff? Aside from center, isn't the o-line more experienced and don't the skill positions return pretty much intact from the end of last season?

Last year's performance has as much to do with 2015 as 3 wins at the end of 2013 had with last year. People expecting more of the same in 2014 so conveniently forget that 80% of the most important group on the field turned over and the team lost their primary QB after game 1. I also read somewhere that there was a coaching staff change too.

I expect improvement this year if for nothing else, but for the experience the individual players gained in the system and on the field, coupled with the strength and conditioning level of the team as a whole. Furthermore, I expect Coach Diaco to recognize what the strengths and weaknesses of his team, which he appears to have already done by changing up offensive coordinators. I do not expect to see a platoon at QB. I also do not expect to see Diaco lose 30% of his scholarship athletes before or during the season, nor to see players on the field who are not ready to be on the field. So absent evidence to the contrary (which fans will not get until at least September) I will interpret the situation in Diaco's favor, rather than to rail against him. Because conversely, If Diaco succeeds, so does UConn.

Husky25

Reaction Score
What are you trying to say? This is HFD-style incoherent, but let's see if I can parse through this...

Yeah and Vandys schedule compared with Army, SMU, Tulane, South Florida, Albany? Please!
I assume you meant Stony Brook, who UConn beat last year and if you did not adjust your expectations for what the 2014 could do after the Temple game, then that is on you.

And Vandy had had a history that makes Rutgers look like Ohio State. One yes one, winning season since 1983.

Um, ok, but I'm unclear on what has to do with anything. Franklin beat Rutgers last year when he was coach of Penn State. According to the 2011, 2012, and 2013 schedules, the Commodores did not play Rutgers, let alone not beat them while Franklin was at Vanderbilt.

Better roster my . Especially in relative terms.

So Vanderbilt was playing with a broken 2nd string QB, behind a (more or less) makeshift offensive line and a roster with less depth than most Div. 2 schools?

Plus note that we came within a boneheaded play by the other guys of going 1-11 and lost to a team that was so bad the didn't know how to line up in the "victory formation." And just to note Franklin may be doing it with mirrors but he wins the games he should win. We couldn't even do that.

UConn was also were in striking distance going into the 4th quarter vs. Boise State, East Carolina, USF (despite the stupid game plan adjustment), and ARMY. I had to leave the SMU game because of a medical emergency, but UConn was winning when I left. There are no two ways around UConn being a bad football team last year so I am not sure what makes you think UConn should have won any of the games you mentioned. After Temple, I thought one, maybe two more tops. On the other hand, I did not think either one would be UCF.

I don't know what else can be said except that 2015 is a new season.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Bob Diaco is the head coach, and it's his job to put a team together that can achieve success in #1 the classroom and #2 on the field in the AAC conference. He appears to have taken the past year to squarely address #1 successfully.

If you think UConn is paying Diaco $1.5M a year to have his priorities in that order, you're lost.

Reaction Score
If you think UConn is paying Diaco $1.5M a year to have his priorities in that order, you're lost.

LOL, if you think that - then you should write a letter to the Pres, requesting that Bob Diaco return his salary from 2014 rather than writing a nonsense note on here.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
LOL, if you think that - then you should write a letter to the Pres, requesting that Bob Diaco return his salary from 2014 rather than writing a nonsense note on here.

Shed some light on how Bob makes academics his top priority then? Specific examples of what he's doing to ensure that success.

CL82

Reaction Score
Either you don't know what benefit of the doubt means or you are intentionally created a Nelson-level straw man argument. Nowhere in any of my 7,000+ posts (Holy crap, I need a life!!) do I even allude to that as being acceptable, but I also do not expect it, as so many on this board seem to.

What makes you think Diaco will have another 2 win season? Whether the QB is Bryant Shirreffs or Tim Boyle, does he not have an advantage over Whitmer, Cochran, or Boyle '14 in one more year experience under the coaching staff? Aside from center, isn't the o-line more experienced and don't the skill positions return pretty much intact from the end of last season?

Last year's performance has as much to do with 2015 as 3 wins at the end of 2013 had with last year. People expecting more of the same in 2014 so conveniently forget that 80% of the most important group on the field turned over and the team lost their primary QB after game 1. I also read somewhere that there was a coaching staff change too.

I expect improvement this year if for nothing else, but for the experience the individual players gained in the system and on the field, coupled with the strength and conditioning level of the team as a whole. Furthermore, I expect Coach Diaco to recognize what the strengths and weaknesses of his team, which he appears to have already done by changing up offensive coordinators. I do not expect to see a platoon at QB. I also do not expect to see Diaco lose 30% of his scholarship athletes before or during the season, nor to see players on the field who are not ready to be on the field. So absent evidence to the contrary (which fans will not get until at least September) I will interpret the situation in Diaco's favor, rather than to rail against him. Because conversely, If Diaco succeeds, so does UConn.

Uh Husky, put the tampon back in and take a look at the actual posts:

1. 06029: I just hope the fans have that kind of patience. Worst case is the revolving door.

2. CL82: No the worst case is continued 2 loss (or less) seasons, coupled with more tone deaf moments. Bob's got to show us something this year.

3. Husky25: It is baffling to notice the number of people here who are not willing to give Diaco any benefit of any doubt. Even former "Coach" Pasqualoni had more support going into year 2.

4. CL82: So you'd be okay with another 2 loss season, without any measurable improvement, Husky? I'm guessing not, and I don't find it "baffling" in the least.
06029 said the worse case scenario was going through multiple coaches. My reply was in essence that last year's performance on a consistent basis would be worse. You chimed in complaining about people give Diaco no support. Now there's your "Nelson-level straw man argument" and it is in your post, not mine.

I didn't call for Diaco's firing, nor did I say he won't improve on last year's record. I did note that last year's results on a consistent basis without the administration trying to change anything would be worse. My response pointed out that you probably agree that sentiment. In your response, at least as much as I bothered to read, you confirmed that.

It's too early to be a knee jerk apoligista, at least to me. I'm rooting for Diaco to be successful, but I'd be lying if I said that the team's on the field performance and BD's tone deaf comments have me feeling confident right now. Hopeful, but not confident.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Calhouns first season UConn went 9-19. Different sport but same concept, these things take time

CL82

Reaction Score
Calhouns first season UConn went 9-19. Different sport but same concept, these things take time
Good analogy since Calhoun says that he could have gotten more wins that year but it was a secondary goal to promoting long term program growth.

I suppose it is worth saying that it is far, far easier to build a basketball program than a football program. So it is probably unfair to keep that comparison going to Calhoun's next year which was a 20 win season and ended with Connecticut being NIT champs (equivalent for HCBD would be like what 8 regular season wins plus a bowl win?) or two years later when he won the conference and was national COY.

FWIW, I think Diaco was a good hire. The jury is still out as to whether he will be a good coach, but that's to be expected with only one season in the books.

Husky25

Reaction Score
06029 said the worse case scenario was going through multiple coaches. My reply was in essence that last year's performance on a consistent basis would be worse. You chimed in complaining about people give Diaco no support. Now there's your "Nelson-level straw man argument" and it is in your post, not mine.

I didn't call the Diaco's firing, nor did I say he won't improve on last year's record. I did note that last year's results on a consistent basis without the administration trying to change anything would be worse. My response pointed out that you probably agree that sentiment. In your response, at least as much as I bothered to read, you confirmed that.

It's too early to be a knee jerk apoligista, at least to me. I'm rooting for Diaco to be successful, but I'd be lying if I said that the team's on the field performance and BD's tone deaf comments have me feeling confident right now. Hopeful, but not confident.

I don't think it is reasonable to conclude just yet that the Program is likely to perform like it did last year on a consistent basis, considering the circumstances.

I interpreted your: "Bob has to show something this year," as not giving him the BotD, like so many others. I think that Diaco actually had a method to his madness last season. The comments? Some could have been worded differently without losing the over all point. Others were taken out of context. C'est le vie. It's a new season. It's a different team and fully expect improvement until he shows me otherwise. For Pasqualoni, it was the Temple game in Season 2, which if I recall correctly, was a win!!

Husky25

Reaction Score
Good analogy since Calhoun says that he could have gotten more wins that year but it was a secondary goal to promoting long term program growth.

I suppose it is worth saying that it is far, far easier to build a basketball program than a football program. So it is probably unfair to keep that comparison going to Calhoun's next year which was a 20 win season and ended with Connecticut being NIT champs (equivalent for HCBD would be like what 8 regular season wins plus a bowl win?) or two years later when he won the conference and was national COY.

FWIW, I think Diaco was a good hire. The jury is still out as to whether he will be a good coach, but that's to be expected with only one season in the books.
I recall a story that depicted a conversation between Calhoun and President Herbst. Calhoun said he could turn around a struggling basketball team with two good guards, but there are only 5 men on the basketball court at any given time. Football has more moving parts and requires more pieces. In the end, IIRC, he told Herbst to be patient. Manuel picked the right guy.

After re-reading some of your posts, CL, I think we may be in agreement. I regret (for lack of better word) the confusion earlier...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom