UConn Football Past is About to Become the Future | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Football Past is About to Become the Future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn9604 said:
One thing we DO know: that team could not have been blown out. We lost 5 games by a total of 15 points. The closest anyone came to blowing us out was Cincinnati (one of the top 2-3 teams in the country before Brian Kelly bolted for Notre Dame) on the road, and we came roaring back only to lose by 2.

My favorite Team as well, and one that probably would have won ten games if not for the Jasper Howard murder.

If we had blitzed on 3rd and 19, we would have beaten UNC as well.

Reaction Score
One thing we DO know: that team could not have been blown out. We lost 5 games by a total of 15 points. The closest anyone came to blowing us out was Cincinnati (one of the top 2-3 teams in the country before Brian Kelly bolted for Notre Dame) on the road, and we came roaring back only to lose by 2.
Awesome team....would like to think the comeback at Cincy caused then Cincy DC BD to have to change his shorts after he got back in the lockerroom and helped fuel his desire to come to Storrs knowing what it could be....... "Real grit".....

Reaction Score
Listening to the pregame show ... you'd think Eric Norwood was about to defeat UCONN by himself.

Reaction Score
Completely disagree. Karma is greater than perception

I'm still waiting for the "good" karma quid-pro-quo. It hasn't exactly been warm and fuzzy, for us, since that win. Pal is right. We should have scored.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A few points that I need to add here (while breaking a golden rule by signing in while at work):

1 - Every loss that season was in a game we could have won and with the possible exception of the game in Cincinnati, in a game we should have won.

2 - I personally believe that taking the knee late in the Papa John's Bowl was more of a reward than putting another TD on the scoreboard would have been. The praise we received from many USCe fans because of that gesture was incredible.

3 - I believe that Diaco got a perfect feel for what could be at UConn from the UVA game in 2008. I also believe that his experience at Cincy in 2009 (pre-bowl they were #3 in the nation) gives him reason to believe that there may be a quicker path to the four team playoff in the AAC (for the right school, if a handful of things break correctly) than (for the wrong school) in a P-5 conference.

4 - I imagine that as a then BE coach, additional attention was paid to the UConn-ND game and later, as an incoming ND coach, film from all prior season's games were put under the microscope (to evaluate returning talent). From this Diaco had a perfect opportunity to view Foley's line pushing ND's defense all over the field late in the game (after we wore them down), which included the three phantom holding calls that allowed the game to make it to overtime. My gut tells me that this played an enormous role in Diaco wanting to retain Foley. Considering that none of our starting linemen at that time were highly regarded coming out of high school (which I am confident Diaco is fully aware of), my gut also tells me that Diaco realizes (with the above as evidence) that we can build a line capable of getting us where we want to be with Foley in charge.

Reaction Score
Scoring a TD late in that USC game wouldn't have changed a single thing for us, except to make some of the USC fans think we have a classless program.

The idea any single thing about this program would be any different had we just added one more TD that day is beyond irrational.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom