UConn football looking for someone to replace longtime starter Joseph at middle linebacker (Ostrout) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn football looking for someone to replace longtime starter Joseph at middle linebacker (Ostrout)

Reaction Score
Play Sundays - Travis Jones.

There’s a couple more guys who I think have a good shot too. But, let me watch them some more first.

Wow, you really went out on a limb.

Kevon Jones, Beavers, and Tyler Coyle might have the necessary talent level. If Krajewski is a next level talent we might really have something brewing. Supposedly he was the third best QB in Georgia and the first two are at Clemson and Miami.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You will see the 4 man front more. Edsall is done with the 3-3-5 being his base. Sure he will use it some but it’s no longer the base. He is sick of guys running downhill. That’s not his idea of how football should be played.
I do agree with you, nothing the struggling DC tried last season worked. I used the term “silently refuting” because Edsall is stubborn and Cocker was his hire. So there’s some loyalty and face savings, but the trend is away from the 3-3-5.
I hope he is moving away from that scheme. It’s a complete loser in the absence of “tweens” with both speed to cover and exceptional strength to battle much larger opponents. The middle is soft and gets gashed, and as DBs come up to anticipate the run, they get beat on the pass. It’s a crappy D, unless you have complete animals that have the mentality to go head to head with bigger players and take the beating. We saw what our DBs/transitionals did last year... ankle tackles, torpedo tackling, getting stuffed on blitzes, bad angles....

Reaction Score
We are all on pins and needles waiting for your professional insight. Why the giants and pats aren’t fighting each other to name you GM is borderline criminal.

Reaction Score
I hope he is moving away from that scheme. It’s a complete loser in the absence of “tweens” with both speed to cover and exceptional strength to battle much larger opponents. The middle is soft and gets gashed, and as DBs come up to anticipate the run, they get beat on the pass. It’s a crappy D, unless you have complete animals that have the mentality to go head to head with bigger players and take the beating. We saw what our DBs/transitionals did last year... ankle tackles, torpedo tackling, getting stuffed on blitzes, bad angles....
We could have had Belichick as our defensive coordinator last year and I don't think it would have been much better. Let's see what happens with year 2 of the scheme now that kids have a better idea of what their assignments are

C

Chief00

Wow, you really went out on a limb.

Kevon Jones, Beavers, and Tyler Coyle might have the necessary talent level. If Krajewski is a next level talent we might really have something brewing. Supposedly he was the third best QB in Georgia and the first two are at Clemson and Bama.
Coyle is one of the guys I thought about. Need to see more of Jones, Beavers (although I liked him toward the end of last season) and Krajewski. I can only get up to practice only so often.

C

Chief00

Couldn’t agree more.

I got together a couple of weeks ago with someone who played D1 DB in a major conference and I was telling him about what I saw last season. He brought up an interesting point. Small DB’s constantly taking on OL’s and tough running backs wear on a DB and will impact coverage later in the game. The receivers will be fresher and less banged up.

C

Chief00

We could have had Belichick as our defensive coordinator last year and I don't think it would have been much better. Let's see what happens with year 2 of the scheme now that kids have a better idea of what their assignments are

I get it and I assume this is hyperbole - but Belichick would have gotten better results than Crocker.
I don’t think we will see year 2 of this being our base defense. I think that chapter is mostly closed. Randy will probably let Crocker play it some to wean him off it but it’s not a major part of the future. We did over recruit DBs now that we won’t need 6 at a time for much of the game. If someone has decent size Randy may move him to LB.

Pass coverage always starts with pressuring the QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I get it and I assume this is hyperbole - but Belichick would have gotten better results than Crocker.
Of course it would have been better but I don't know how much. Even belichick has moved to the big nickel against pass heavy teams which is basically the NFL equivalent of the 3-3-5

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I don’t think we will see year 2 of this being our base defense. I think that chapter is mostly closed. Randy will probably let Crocker play it some to wean him off it but it’s not a major part of the future. We did over recruit DBs now that we won’t need 6 at a time for much of the game. If someone has decent size Randy may move him to LB.

Pass coverage always starts with pressuring the QB.

We’ll still need 5 DBs unless we played a 3-4 or 4-3 as our primary package, neither of which is gonna happen

Reaction Score
True...and it should be interesting to see what shakes out

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom