UConn football looking for someone to replace longtime starter Joseph at middle linebacker (Ostrout) | The Boneyard

UConn football looking for someone to replace longtime starter Joseph at middle linebacker (Ostrout)

C

Chief00

In an article about another position, a comment about Travis Jones jumps off the page to Chief. This kid is special.
Lots of people are asking Chief, how despite the poor statistics that the Casual Fan latches onto for validation, how did Chief see that Boyle had that special talent? Lots of it is observations through Chief’s eyes but also talking to some people I respect football wise and frankly other players just expressing their feelings.

I am getting that special feeling about Travis. Except I believe with Randy back to develop it - we will see it here at UConn and won’t have to wait for NFL Sunday’s. Not a #ChiefCertified yet but getting close.

Another thought, after last year’s disaster on D, Randy is much more involved in the defense. He has basically deemphasized that crazy 3-3-5 defense the coordinator loves but can’t execute at this level. The 4 man line will be used more often and will give Travis better matchups. We will have less 180 pound guys trying to take on Offense Linemen and whiffing on tackling running backs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Another thought, after last year’s disaster on D, Randy is much more involved in the defense. He has basically deemphasized that crazy 3-3-5 defense the coordinator loves but can’t execute at this level. The 4 man line will be used more often and will give Travis better matchups. We will have kess 180 pound guys trying to take on Offense Linemen and whiffing on tackling running backs.

Edsall has given no indication in interviews during this camp that he is deemphasizing, moving away from or “silently refuting” the 3-3-5. They used a 4-2-5/4-3-4 in many games last year in addition to the base 3-3-5. No alignment worked.

It clearly appears they may have more talented pieces to move around the field this year so they will be able to use the defensive set that fits the offense they are seeing. This is a size/talent/experience improvement adjustment not a change in overall philosophy/scheme.

He’s also on record saying that some of the alignments they are playing with in camp is to show the offense different looks that they may be seeing.

C

Chief00

Edsall has given no indication in interviews during this camp that he is deemphasizing, moving away from or “silently refuting” the 3-3-5. They used a 4-2-5/4-3-4 in many games last year in addition to the base 3-3-5. No alignment worked.

It clearly appears they may have more talented pieces to move around this year so they will be able to use the defensive set that fits the offense they are seeing. This is a size/talent improvement adjustment not a change in overall philosophy/scheme.

He’s also on record saying that some of the alignments they are playing with in camp is to show the offense different looks that they may be seeing.

You will see the 4 man front more. Edsall is done with the 3-3-5 being his base. Sure he will use it some but it’s no longer the base. He is sick of guys running downhill. That’s not his idea of how football should be played.
I do agree with you, nothing the struggling DC tried last season worked. I used the term “silently refuting” because Edsall is stubborn and Crocker was his hire. So there’s some loyalty and face savings, but the trend is away from the 3-3-5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
You will see the 4 man front more. Edsall is done with the 3-3-5 being his base. Sure he will use it some but it’s no longer the base. He is sick of guys running downhill. That’s not his idea of how football should be played.

You will see a 4 man front more because he has the personnel to run it - not because he is done w/ the 3-3-5.

Do you really think that Crocker shoved the 3-3-5 down Edsall’s throat? Edsall saw what personnel he had and got a Defensive Coordinator who could install/had experience w/ a 3-3-5.

(I can’t keep up w/ you changing/editing/adding paragraphs to what you write after someone responds).

This isn’t about loyalty/face saving - it’s about appropriate and effective personnel to run what you want to run.

Reaction Score
Edsall thought he didn't have the personnel for a four man front. He said so. The defensive linemen have proved him wrong. And to his credit, he seems to have taken advantage of the new found DL depth.

Does he really believe it? The question will be answered a week from Thursday.

Reaction Score
Edsall thought he didn't have the personnel for a four man front. He said so. The defensive linemen have proved him wrong. And to his credit, he seems to have taken advantage of the new found DL depth.

Does he really believe it? The question will be answered a week from Thursday.
Over time, Coach has shown the ability to fit pieces into both offense and defense, and I believe both lines will be much better this season.

Reaction Score
In an article about another position, a comment about Travis Jones jumps off the page to Chief. This kid is special.
Lots of people are asking Chief, how despite the poor statistics that the Casual Fan latches onto for validation, how did Chief see that Boyle had that special talent? Lots of it is observations through Chief’s eyes but also talking to some people I respect football wise and frankly other players just expressing their feelings.

I am getting that special feeling about Travis. Except I believe with Randy back to develop it - we will see it here at UConn and won’t have to wait for NFL Sunday’s. Not a #ChiefCertified yet but getting close.

Another thought, after last year’s disaster on D, Randy is much more involved in the defense. He has basically deemphasized that crazy 3-3-5 defense the coordinator loves but can’t execute at this level. The 4 man line will be used more often and will give Travis better matchups. We will have less 180 pound guys trying to take on Offense Linemen and whiffing on tackling running backs.
Lmao dude people were praising Travis Jones in high school. I'm on record with him as my #1 want for the 2018 class. You don't have any sort of special eye for talent. If anything you're late to the ball game

C

Chief00

A76CE224-1606-44FE-997C-965DDBE439F2.png
You will see a 4 man fro

(I can’t keep up w/ you changing/editing/adding paragraphs to what you write after someone responds).

You are getting a little paranoid crazy as you grow older - LOL

My edit was a spelling correction from “kess than 180 pound guys” to “less than 180 pound guys”. LOL - I am always correcting spelling and grammar typos and occasionally clarifying. Rarely do I changed context or thrust. Occasionally, I might add an additional thought to support my point but usually it’s grammar and spelling typos.

C

Chief00

Lmao dude people were praising Travis Jones in high school. I'm on record with him as my #1 want for the 2018 class. You don't have any sort of special eye for talent. If anything you're late to the ball game
I was saying it then too and agree he’s a top freshmen. It’s tough for a school at UConn’s level to get a true stud defensive lineman. Quite frankly, that only happened because nationally he was overlooked and underrated.

An observation, you always would like or agree with my posts until I made a rare CessPool “political” post that you disagreed with. It’s sad that your political emotion fog can cloud your judgement on other things. Best to compartmentalize and not let someone having a different political view impact how you relate with them. It’s not a good look.

Reaction Score
View attachment 33782

You are getting a little paranoid crazy as you grow older - LOL

My edit was a spelling correction from “kess than 180 pound guys” to “less than 180 pound guys”. LOL - I am always correcting spelling and grammar typos and occasionally clarifying. Rarely do I changed context or thrust. Occasionally, I might add an additional thought to support my point but usually it’s grammar and spelling typos.

My mental health is fine. What I quoted above is what you wrote. You added a whole paragraph after “should be played” after I responded.

C

Chief00

You added a whole paragraph after “should be played”...
Got you - as I stated, sometimes I will add another thought. This time it was that “I do agree with you”.....,,Sometimes, we tend to post on what we disagree about - so I will do that sometimes when maybe there’s been too much contention - go back and add what I agree with the poster on. I generally don’t change the argument what I disagree over. It’s an effort to get along - nothing devious.

Reaction Score
I was saying it then too and agree he’s a top freshmen. It’s tough for a school at UConn’s level to get a true stud defensive lineman. Quite frankly, that only happened because nationally he was overlooked and underrated.

An observation, you always would like or agree with my posts until I made a rare CessPool “political” post that you disagreed with. It’s sad that your political emotion fog can cloud your judgement on other things. Best to compartmentalize and not let someone having a different political view impact how you relate with them. It’s not a good look.
Outside of the cesspool I get along fine with people I disagree with on the cesspool. Just ask @CL82

I don't dislike you chief, I just thing you're trying way too hard. You have a problem taking criticism and take yourself way too seriously

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Outside of the cesspool I get along fine with people I disagree with on the cesspool. Just ask @CL82

I don't dislike you chief, I just thing you're trying way too hard. You have a problem taking criticism and take yourself way too seriously
I thought you were banned from the Cesspool. (Which is pretty much like being the least popular inmate in an insane asylum.)

The problem with the Cesspool is some people carry the culture (lack of civility, childlike insult rather than discussion) to main boards. In concept it was a location to divert bad behavior and prohibited topics from the main board. In practice since it devolved there's been some splash back to the main boards. The good news is every minute those guys are posting down there means that they are not posting here.

I don't really remember you from the Cesspool, or all that much up here really, but I did have you on ignore for awhile. Since I took you off you've been fine, and I think you have interesting takes and insights. Not that that matters particularly much.

I don't really get animosity among posters. The BY is an internet forum, not the real world. Posters either add to the discussion or they don't. If they don't there's no obligation that you read their posts or respond to them. JMHO.

C

Chief00

So how do you explain all the likes before that difference of political opinion and none since?

Judge people by what they do not by what they say.

You are not being honest with yourself.

I don’t really care if people like or dislike my posts - but that behavior I noticed.

As for trying too hard - trying too hard at what? LOL - I just comment on something if it interests me - it’s no more complicated than that.

Reaction Score
So how do you explain all the likes before that difference of political opinion and none since?

I thought your persona was a shtick on the main boards

C

Chief00

I am not trying to throw fuel on a fire , but I did get a laugh at the guy you said you get along fine with having you on Ignore for awhile.
At any rate, Chief is moving on to more interesting things. Thank you.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Boy this ‘Chief Bot’ has really been perfected. Chief Bot just bangs out post after post and people take the bait. Chief Bot never quits and that’s because Chief Bot is fueled by fans and haters alike, any form of attention is good.

I’d like Chief Bot to tell us more about who on the roster will play sundays because since he has nailed the Boyle surprise NFL career, I think he owes it to us to get the other big predictions out now rather than after the fact.

Reaction Score
Boy this ‘Chief Bot’ has really been perfected. Chief Bot just bangs out post after post and people take the bait. Chief Bot never quits and that’s because Chief Bot is fueled by fans and haters alike, any form of attention is good.

I’d like Chief Bot to tell us more about who on the roster will play sundays because since he has nailed the Boyle surprise NFL career, I think he owes it to us to get the other big predictions out now rather than after the fact.
Chief also nailed Disco's demise a few weeks before it went down, so I'm all in on a lot of what he says

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Chief also nailed Disco's demise a few weeks before it went down, so I'm all in on a lot of what he says

Chief paired that with a declaration that Joe Moorhead was our next head coach.

He's a snake oil salesman and a charlatan who crafts a false persona of someone who's knowledgeable. He's obsessed with his image here and getting validation. Anything you hear from him is completely full of $ t, and any accuracy is purely coincidental.

C

Chief00

Play Sundays - Travis Jones.

There’s a couple more guys who I think have a good shot too. But, let me watch them some more first.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom