UConn football is ahead of schedule headed into spring ball (McFarlane/Courant) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn football is ahead of schedule headed into spring ball (McFarlane/Courant)

Reaction Score
Randy is practically confessing what many of us thought. His Covid excuse was BS as 127 D1 other schools knew how to manage. Contrary to the NYTs article Randy was all about the money - receiving another $1M year and a $300k retention bonus while he had a year of immunity from loses and being fired. It’s funny how they could practice, live and workout together but couldn’t play games. Rather than talk about how he kept them safe from Covid - and that’s not true either cuz over 20 guys got it, he’s talking about how everyone used that time in the gym together getting bigger and stronger.
I don’t think you read the article closely to come to your conclusions. Without a conference, the schedule blew up. I guess you could have winged it for a few games like UMass, but I’m not sure what that would have accomplished. And, as it has become obvious during the basketball season, Connecticut’s COVID rules has made it very difficult to practice and play games. (Case in point is Butler played basketball on Saturday, but UConn could not.). Remember, 23 UConn football players tested positive for COVID and 70 had to isolated at some point in the fall. And, some football players ended up going home. As for practices, they practiced in smaller groups to limit COVID risks.

As a development program, UConn needs to redshirt almost every football player, but Edsall has not been able to do that because of the lack of depth from Diaco but that is what Edsall did during his first stint. This past year has allowed UConn to catch up from a physical development standpoint, but we need to see the on field results this year.

C

Chief00

I don’t think you read the article closely to come to your conclusions. Without a conference, the schedule blew up. I guess you could have winged it for a few games like UMass, but I’m not sure what that would have accomplished. And, as it has become obvious during the basketball season, Connecticut’s COVID rules has made it very difficult to practice and play games. (Case in point is Butler played basketball on Saturday, but UConn could not.). Remember, 23 UConn football players tested positive for COVID and 70 had to isolated at some point in the fall. And, some football players ended up going home. As for practices, they practiced in smaller groups to limit COVID risks.

As a development program, UConn needs to redshirt almost every football player, but Edsall has not been able to do that because of the lack of depth from Diaco but that is what Edsall did during his first stint. This past year has allowed UConn to catch up from a physical development standpoint, but we need to see the on field results this year.
Again, the reason given for not playing was players’ health safety and Randy accepted the praise of the NYTs for doing so. Now he’s implying that it was all about the Red Shirting he previously wasn’t able to do. What’s the Truth? Sign up for Randy 101 class? It is true some football players went home, eventhough he said they voted enthusiastically not to play. Sure thing Randy. I get banned if I comment on CT’s DPH, so I won’t. He scheduled some very winnable home games next season in the mix with some sure loses. We stopped playing Yale decades ago, since they were no longer competitive with our level. Holy Cross is another win, if we are competitive.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

I agree they could have made it work if they wanted to. They didn’t. No need to blame others. I don’t believe RE didn’t play because he could collect money. Guessing he is financially set for life. Maybe if they were part of a conference they would have played but we’ll never know. My personal opinion is that it is a quitters mentality not to try but it is over with and looking forward to next season.
You don’t think financially secured people, want more money?

Reaction Score
It will be a lopsided schedule of sure wins (if we are at all competitive) and sure loses. The key will a couple of games which could go either way.
That's the Army scheduling philosophy and it's worked pretty well for them. Within the next 5 years I expect that Navy will also return to independent status and do likewise.

Reaction Score
You don’t think financially secured people, want more money?
Of course more money is better, just don’t think he is desperate to keep a job or this job particularly for financial reasons.

C

Chief00

Of course more money is better, just don’t think he is desperate to keep a job or this job particularly for financial reasons.
As if the head coaching jobs are lined up at his doorstep. UConn got him on the relative cheap, simply because of the law of supply and demand. Little demand for his services.

Reaction Score
Randy is practically confessing what many of us thought. His Covid excuse was BS as 127 D1 other schools knew how to manage. Contrary to the NYTs article Randy was all about the money - receiving another $1M year and a $300k retention bonus while he had a year of immunity from loses and being fired. It’s funny how they could practice, live and workout together but couldn’t play games. Rather than talk about how he kept them safe from Covid - and that’s not true either cuz over 20 guys got it, he’s talking about how everyone used that time in the gym together getting bigger and stronger.
Practice, working out and even living together was a complete shxt show. If they tried to play this past season they would have either cancelled more games then they would have played or they would have run out walk-ons to field a team. They were contact traced to death. Your narratives continue to be false. There was no way UConn had the depth to make it through the season.

Reaction Score

Jim. You nailed it. You seem very reasonable which makes me wonder why you bother with this clown and all his insecurities

Reaction Score
As they got bigger did they have to move farther apart to maintain "social distancing?"

Reaction Score
Practice, working out and even living together was a complete shxt show. If they tried to play this past season they would have either cancelled more games then they would have played or they would have run out walk-ons to field a team. They were contact traced to death. Your narratives continue to be false. There was no way UConn had the depth to make it through the season.
Stop using those pesky facts to dismantle his distorted view

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I am was upset but the year off and working out should help this upcoming season. If not my guess is HCRE will be moving on

Reaction Score
Remember with no conference we had a huge chunk of our schedule cancelled, not by us but by ACC, Big 10, and SEC teams we were scheduled to play. Could we have scrambled together a 5-6 game schedule? Oh maybe but with infections and various travel restrictions it is likely some of those would have been scrapped too. UMass played what, 3 or 4 games? None against teams anyone cared about and all on the road. How valuable was that? And if we did it the same people complaining we didn’t play would be saying if that was the plan we should have closed it down.

C

Chief00

The objective is to play and win your share of games. Contact tracing is only effective when there are isolated outbreaks. At 8-10% infection rates that’s not longer operable. Fortunately, Hurley’s thinking has won out now and teams will be expected to play.

Reaction Score
UMass 2020 schedule
Georgia Southern
Marshall
Florida Atlantic
Liberty
all on the road

That is what we were looking at. Maybe we get a2 at Home. UMass and Nowhere St. Not playing was the right decision every way you look at it.

Reaction Score
The objective is to play and win your share of games. Contact tracing is only effective when there are isolated outbreaks. At 8-10% infection rates that’s not longer operable. Fortunately, Hurley’s thinking has won out now and teams will be expected to play.
Hogwash Hurley’s thinking... he has 12 guys not 100, and a league to deal with scheduling and it’s still a shtshow. Plus the knowledge base is 6 months further along on how to deal with this virus. And if you see Hurley tell him to wear his freaking mask. They do no good just covering his chin

Reaction Score
1612305534661.png

C

Chief00

Hogwash Hurley’s thinking... he has 12 guys not 100, and a league to deal with scheduling and it’s still a shtshow. Plus the knowledge base is 6 months further along on how to deal with this virus. And if you see Hurley tell him to wear his freaking mask. They do no good just covering his chin
As I stated, the obstacle to playing games has now been neutralized. I can’t go into further detail.

Reaction Score
UMass 2020 schedule
Georgia Southern
Marshall
Florida Atlantic
Liberty
all on the road

That is what we were looking at. Maybe we get a2 at Home. UMass and Nowhere St. Not playing was the right decision every way you look at it.
Not to mention scored a total of something like 12 or 15 points combined in all 4 games and gota absolutely destroyed in every game.

Reaction Score
Virginia Tech was awful for a number of years before and then after Beamer took over. His philosophy was schedule for success. He followed it and set his schedule so that he would have a great chance at a winning record every year. When they joined the Big East he kept that philosophy. Figured even if he went 3-4 in the league he could go no worse than 3-1 in an 11 game season. We need to emulate that. As VaTech got better the non league schedule did too but always it was designed for 3 wins. We need to be scheduling for 5 wins, 5 toss ups and 2 stretch games.
Agreed. We just gotta start winning winnable games again in order to get this thing jump started all over again...

Reaction Score
As I stated, the obstacle to playing games has now been neutralized. I can’t go into further detail.
Hogwash. Nothing he can do if Providence or Marquette or Seton Hall shut down due to an outbreak. As happened earlier with several schools. Now it seems that the post holiday crush has simmered down so things might be better for a bit. So some games might indeed get played. But it will be based on facts on the ground, not Hurley’s wants and desires.

C

Chief00

Hogwash. Nothing he can do if Providence or Marquette or Seton Hall shut down due to an outbreak. As happened earlier with several schools. Now it seems that the post holiday crush has simmered down so things might be better for a bit. So some games might indeed get played. But it will be based on facts on the ground, not Hurley’s wants and desires.
I am limited to what I can respond on this subject. I am referring to going by the national standard rather than the former outlier CT one. That’s been put to bed.

Reaction Score
I am telling you- At any given time multiple key players at a time were contact traced for two weeks a pop. The right call was made to not play. We held on and signed some really good looking recruits who obviously didn’t care that we didnt play. I think it’s tired to keep rehashing that we didn’t play.

Even if we did play I’m pretty sure most on here would be looking forward to 3/1 and then 8/28 way more than caring about what we did last season. I for one am not saying “kudos to UMass for showing their commitment to trying to play” who cares?

Reaction Score
This

Reaction Score
I am telling you- At any given time multiple key players at a time were contact traced for two weeks a pop. The right call was made to not play. We held on and signed some really good looking recruits who obviously didn’t care that we didnt play. I think it’s tired to keep rehashing that we didn’t play.

Even if we did play I’m pretty sure most on here would be looking forward to 3/1 and then 8/28 way more than caring about what we did last season. I for one am not saying “kudos to UMass for showing their commitment to trying to play” who cares?
As of today, 43% of UConn's men's basketball games have been either cancelled or postponed with only 14 to 15 players on the roster. Never mind that UConn football has over 100 players, would not have been allowed to play home games, and had no conference to help schedule games, COVID positives and contact tracing would have probably ended the season anyway.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom