UCONN Football - identity | The Boneyard

UCONN Football - identity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just wondering, what is our identity? What is it that would attract an elite recruit to UCONN? Anybody else ever wonder? We as fans/alumn should know. Honestly, right now, I have no clue... other than that I am a Husky fan/supporter til the day I die...

pj

Reaction Score
That's what's discouraging me ... I like the identity Don Brown is building on defense ... I'd like to have a Chip Kelly or Dana Holgerson type identity on offense ... aggressive play on both sides of the ball, giving playmakers chances to make plays.

I think we've got a lot for recruits to like, if our offense were as aggressive as our defense. But our offense seems identity-less. GDL builds plays but doesn't build a style.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
being new u need to have something ppl want to watch and be apart of. we have never figured that out to date.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Answer: We don't have one.

We call run plays like a smash mouth football team but our offensive line plays a non-offensive style not unlike the non-offensive style of pop rock band Smash Mouth.

Reaction Score
We do have an identity. We've had one since Edsall and it has carried over to Pasqualoni. It's an identity that is pretty nondescript and unappealing.

I guess I get what Edsall did. He did the best he could, even if it wasn't the best that could have been done.

So yeah. It's unappealing, and the best selling point for us has been and continues to be opportunity. The problem is that the kind of player we need is never going to worry about opportunity.

Which team would you rather play for?

-The smashmouth team that barely scrapes together enough wins to make a bowil.

-The offense team that stretches the field. rings up tons of scores makes bowl games with ease.

This isn't the NFL where you are judged solely on wins and losses. We wish it would be like that, but it isn't.

College football is a fashion show. Image and identity affect the way you are perceived and your appeal to talented prospects.

We can talk about how ridiculous and unfair it is, but it isn't going to amount to anything. We should just embrace it.

pj

Reaction Score
ZooCougar, yes. For top recruits college is a stepping stone to the pros. They want to be featured and show what they can do. They want to pile up yards and scores and plays. You have to give them an offense in which every play has a chance to turn into a big play.

Alabama can have a boring style and get top recruits. UConn can't.

The one thing I can't stand in coaches is aiming low. P should be trying to bring UConn a national championship, if not on his watch then on the next guy's. The first step is adopting an exciting, attractive style.

Reaction Score
The tone in the Big East is being set by playmakers. This will always be the case in any conference. I took a trip to Rutgers spring game and knew immediately that those 3 receivers #17, #81 and #5(that are physical clones of Terrell Owens by the way) are going to seperate that squad from the rest of the conference. Cincy's speed is also a factor. Bottom line is Smash Mouth football built the Big 10, but even they cant compete with a squad full of big, physical playmakers. Whenever you see UConn recruiting 6-4 200+ WR's with 4.5 speed, please hope they can pull it off because its pretty important and covers up alot of other stuff. Rutgers has scored on the "now route" (WR screen) 3 times this season and the corner fade is unstoppable. all of this with a very mediocre QB situation.

Reaction Score
Just wondering, what is our identity? What is it that would attract an elite recruit to UCONN? Anybody else ever wonder? We as fans/alumn should know. Honestly, right now, I have no clue... other than that I am a Husky fan/supporter til the day I die...
Identity begins with recruiting a cerain type of athlete and then you build your offense or defense around it! Coaches who want install a system 1st end up like Rich Rod in Michigan. UConn needs playmakers (specifically at the WR/TE position. Rutgers success is due to #17, #81 and #5. They are legit threats with or without the ball in their hands. Defenses must prepare and when you over-prepare they run it on you! And by the way, the QB situation at Rutgers is no better than UConn's. Its all about WEAPONS!

Reaction Score
Identity begins with recruiting a cerain type of athlete and then you build your offense or defense around it! Coaches who want install a system 1st end up like Rich Rod in Michigan. UConn needs playmakers (specifically at the WR/TE position. Rutgers success is due to #17, #81 and #5. They are legit threats with or without the ball in their hands. Defenses must prepare and when you over-prepare they run it on you! And by the way, the QB situation at Rutgers is no better than UConn's. Its all about WEAPONS!

Good points about WRs bro... One GLARING thing I noticed about our current offense? We haven't stretched the field once all season long... Midway through the season.. The last and only deep pass play I can remember this season ( that went incomplete ) was the one play to G. Davis from Whitmer in the season opener vs. UMASS... We can't get over top a defense... Which puts all the pressure on our defense to do it all... We need those kind of weapons.. And if we don't start recruiting them the fan base (money) will decline.... even moreso than this season (check ticket sales)

Reaction Score
Good points about WRs bro... One GLARING thing I noticed about our current offense? We haven't stretched the field once all season long... Midway through the season.. The last and only deep pass play I can remember this season ( that went incomplete ) was the one play to G. Davis from Whitmer in the season opener vs. UMASS... We can't get over top a defense... Which puts all the pressure on our defense to do it all... We need those kind of weapons.. And if we don't start recruiting them the fan base (money) will decline.... even moreso than this season (check ticket sales)
The good news is that your getting a kid in 2013 (Dhameer Bradley) that can do just that. Some of the big physical playmakers that have been on UConn's radar could come through as well, but it would help if what they were watching now looked more appealing on the offensive side of the ball. WVU (Super Dynamic offense and oh-by-the-way, new cool unis) are getting some top talent now in my area because of what these impressionable kids are seeing on campus and ESPN.

pj

Reaction Score
This program could achieve great things if the coaches would only aim for excellence on both sides of the ball -- meaning an offense that has a chance to reach the top 20 statistically. Succeed or fail at it, but put it in place and go after the playmakers who can make it work. I think Lagow and Bradley are a good start; Fuchs would be too. Just get started on it and bootstrap our way up in talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom