UConn Football Class of 2023 National Signing Day/Coverage (February 1, 2023 > March 31, 2023 ) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Football Class of 2023 National Signing Day/Coverage (February 1, 2023 > March 31, 2023 )

Reaction Score
I count six listed that way. Who do you think the two walk-ons are that medic thinks are on schollie?
I read the Courant article on Neider "signing". So I asked, but according to the Uconn Rivals recruiting/publisher he confirmed he's a PWO.

Also Uconn as of yesterday, only confirmed 23 signed scholly players on their twitter (also no on Madison either)...

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Based on this article it appears that Chase Fountain changed his mind (imagIne that) and will be a PWO @ UConn instead of attending Stonehill:

Chase looks like a potential RB, great cutting ability. His tape reminds me a lot of the RB from Norwalk last year.

Reaction Score
I read the Courant article on Neider "signing". So I asked, but according to the Uconn Rivals recruiting/publisher he confirmed he's a PWO.

Also Uconn as of yesterday, only confirmed 23 signed scholly players on their twitter (also no on Madison either)...
I know it all can change, but interesting to see the positions some of these guys are listed at.

A couple that stood out to me:

• Carsten Cadasy - Rivals had him as one of our top ranked recruits as a DL, but looks like he's playing OT
  • Lou Hansen - GREAT size, if he can block he sees the field day 1
  • Zack Drawdy - Just looks like a guy whose going to be a player
  • Renwick & Plack both listed at LB
  • Johnson and Tunde likely won't play for a while, but both of them have amazing frames and in turn potential

Reaction Score

You often see pictures of PWOs sitting at "the signing table." Does a PWO actually sign anything other than a check for the enrollment deposit? Do they at least get a letter from the staff indicating their PWO status that they can counter sign to accept?

Edit: I wonder how many of the PWOs would have received scholarships before the advent of the portal and the COVID bonus year?

Reaction Score
Edit: I wonder how many of the PWOs would have received scholarships before the advent of the portal and the COVID bonus year?

On the flip side, with the advent of the portal, there’s a path for a kid to go to a lower level school out of HS, play early and if he’s good enough, enter the portal and move up to the level they felt they should have been at to begin with.

Reaction Score
You often see pictures of PWOs sitting at "the signing table." Does a PWO actually sign anything other than a check for the enrollment deposit? Do they at least get a letter from the staff indicating their PWO status that they can counter sign to accept?

PWOs do get LOI to sign and PWOs/WOs has been a thing for many many years essentially with a PWO you are recruited similar to a scholarship player (maybe not as hard) and you are considered part of the team from the get go so you do not need to make the team via a fall try-out for a true walk-on of which very few ever end up turning into players of note.

Also nowadays with the advent of NIL money I am guessing there is opportunities available to help offset tuition that just wasn't there for PWOs in years past.

Reaction Score

I actually like it... JM's bringing a sense of football pride to State U.. It shows that these past 10 years (as tough as they were) meant something to these young men... You build it, they'll come... Our facilities are top notch... the education you get there is solid, along with the overall experience up in Storrs, CT... great to see all of it coming together.... looking forward to JM's presser, whenever that is... I see their IT guys are working on updating a few things on the school website (coaching staff right now), so we should be hearing a few live updates soon...

Reaction Score
They should be able to offer "Walk-ons" partial athletic scholarships.

Can they?

I don't know much about it, but I had a partial scholarship for D2 basketball my last 3 years.

Reaction Score
Can they?

I don't know much about it, but I had a partial scholarship for D2 basketball my last 3 years.
I don't believe they can offer partials for basketball or football at the FBS/FCS level. It's my understanding that for all other sports you can get partials. Though perhaps someone else knows better.

Reaction Score
I don't believe they can offer partials for basketball or football at the FBS/FCS level. It's my understanding that for all other sports you can get partials. Though perhaps someone else knows better.

Headcount Sport @ FBS

"Division 1 FBS teams can give out a maximum of 85 full-ride scholarships to athletes. Division 1 FCS programs can provide a maximum of 63 total scholarships. The 85 FBS scholarships are headcount scholarships, which means every athlete who receives a scholarship at the DI FBS level gets a full-ride scholarship. The 63 FCS scholarships are equivalency scholarships. This means a coach can divide these scholarships up, giving more athletes partial scholarships."

Reaction Score
2023 Class broken out by PWO, High School/Prep, JUCO & Transfer Portal

2023 UConn Offer/Commit List (click on commit's name link for Highlights)
  1. Seth Turner (K/P) - Great Valley H.S. Malvern PA (UConn Commit 11/15/22) (PWO) (Mora)
  2. Teddy Williams (WR/LB/ATH) - Portland CT>Salisbury School, Salisbury CT (UConn Commit 12/13/22) (PWO) (Mora)
  3. John Neider (QB/ATH) - Jonathan Law H.S., Milford CT (UConn Commit 1/27/23) (PWO) (Mora)
  4. Frank Daniley (RB/LB) - New Haven CT>New Hampton School, New Hampton New Hampshire (UConn Commit 2/1/23) (PWO) (Mora)
  5. Danny Shaban (Off/Def ATH) - Joel Barlow H.S., Redding CT (UConn Commit 2/1/23) (PWO) (Mora)
  6. Cody Smith (DL/TE) - Shenendehowa H.S., Clifton Park New York. (UConn Commit 2/1/23) (PWO) (Mora)
  7. Howard Simpson (LB) - Bloomfield H.S., Bloomfield CT (UConn Commit 2/1/23) (PWO) (Mora)
  8. Zack Madison (WR/DB) - Northern Highlands H.S., Allendale New Jersey (UConn Commit 2/1/23) (PWO) (Mora)
  9. Chase Fountain (DB/WR/ATH) - Conard H.S. (CT)>Kingswood Oxford School, West Hartford CT (UConn Commit 2/1/23) (PWO) (Mora)

10. Jarvis Jones (WR/ATH) - West Orange H.S, West Orange New Jersey (UConn Commit 6/18/22) (Mora)
  11. Brandon Kelley (DL) - Owen J. Roberts H.S., Pottstown, PA (UConn Commit 6/19/22) (Mora)
  12. Toriyan Johnson (OL/DL) - Proctor Academy, Andover New Hampshire (UConn Commit 6/19/22) (Mora)
  13. Cleto Chol (DL/LB/WR/TE) - Proctor Academy, Andover, New Hampshire (UConn Commit 6/20/22) (Mora)
  14. Tucker McDonald (QB) - Wachusett Regional H.S., Holden MA (UConn Commit 6/23/22) (Mora)
  15. Jackson Harper (WR/DB) - Avon Old Farms School, Avon CT (UConn Commi 6/23/22) (Mora)
  16. Carsten Casady (OL/DL) - Rolesville H.S., Rolesville North Carolina (UConn Commit 6/24/22) (Mora)
  17. Cameron Chadwick (DB/WR) - Immaculate H.S., Somerville New Jersey (UConn Commit 7/1/22) (Mora)
  18. Christopher Hudson (DB/RB) - St. Thomas More School, Oakdale CT (UConn Commit 7/4/22) (Mora)
  19. Toluwanimi Tunde (DL/OL) - Canada Prep Academy, St. Catharines Ontario Canada (UConn Commit 7/4/22) (Mora)
  20. Zack Drawdy Jr. (WR/RB/QB/ATH) - Yulee H.S., Yulee Florida (UConn Commit 7/21/22) (Mora)
  21. Oumar Diomande (LB/RB) - J.F. Kennedy Campus H.S.,, Bronx New York (UConn Commit 12/20/22) (Mora)
  22. Nader Chirchi (TE/OL/DL) - Thomas Edison H.S., Alexandria Virginia (UConn Commit 12/21/22) (Mora)

23. Amir Renwick (DB) -Baltimore Maryland>Coffeyville Community College, Coffeyville Kansas (UConn Commit 2/1/23) (JUCO) (Mora)

24. Zakhari Spears (DB) - Los Angeles California>University of Washington (UConn Commit 12/14/22) (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  25. Eriq Gilyard (LB) - Jacksonville Florida>UCF>Kansas (UConn Commit 12/16/22) (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  26. Louis Hansen (TE) - Dover MA>University of Michigan (UConn Commit 12/26/22) (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  27. Mumu Bin-Wahad (DB) - Loganville Georgia > West Virginia University (UConn Commit 1/5/23) (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  28. Ray Eldridge (DL) - McDonald PA>University of Richmond (UConn Football Commit 1/6/22) (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  29. Noah Plack-Tallerico (DB/LB) - Bridgeville, PA >Delaware (UConn Commit 1/12/23) (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  30. Joseph Fagnano (QB) - Williamsport PA>University of Maine (UConn Commit 1/12/23) (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  31. Jalen Mitchell (RB) - Rockledge Florida>Louisville (UConn Commit 1/26/23) (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  32. Geordon Porter (WR) - Rancho Cucamonga, California>University of New Mexico (UConn Commit 2/1/23) (Transfer Portal) (Mora)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
PWOs do get LOI to sign and PWOs/WOs has been a thing for many many years essentially with a PWO you are recruited similar to a scholarship player (maybe not as hard) and you are considered part of the team from the get go so you do not need to make the team via a fall try-out for a true walk-on of which very few ever end up turning into players of note.

Also nowadays with the advent of NIL money I am guessing there is opportunities available to help offset tuition that just wasn't there for PWOs in years past.
Is that true? According to the NCAA:

"The NLI is a binding agreement between a prospective student-athlete and an NLI member institution.
• Prospective student-athlete agrees to attend the institution full-time for one academic year (two semesters or three quarters).
• Institution agrees to provide athletics financial aid for one academic year (two semesters or three quarters)."

"NLI must be accompanied by an athletics financial aid agreement (aid from an athletics source)."

Since walk-ons don't receive athletic scholarships and NIL money, even if it somehow trickled down to a PWO, is not from an athletics source and is not athletics financial aid (that's the whole point, sources outside the AD can now essentially pay players), I don't see how they can get a true NLI to sign. I suspect they get an institutional letter of some form to counter sign, but it's not an NLI and probably not enforceable (to the extent anything is enforceable in college sports these days).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Seems to me, if there a Connecticut kid that has a good shot to play at this level; this staff is going to give them a shot. If some don't pan out, oh well. It sends a postive message to in-state players. We should have had that posture from the beginning.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom