UConn Football Class of 2022 National Signing Day Coverage (Feb. 2nd >) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn Football Class of 2022 National Signing Day Coverage (Feb. 2nd >)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nebrich transferred to Fordham in 2012 after Moorhead was named head coach and he played in 3 games his first year at Fordham. If he wasn't ready to start at Fordham in 2012 with Moorhead, who recruited him at UConn, then I doubt he was ready to start as a true freshman at UConn in 2011. They did recognize the problem and brought in a JUCO transfer QB for 2012, Chandler Whitmer.
Nebrich had a season ending injury early of the third game of the 2012 season against Cornell. P wasted the most talent of any UConn head football coach in the last fifty years.

Reaction Score
Yet, the constant drum beat in the Courant and on The Boneyard was that the "cupboard was bare." Anyone who cared to look knew the cupboard was loaded.

They had an NFL defense with which to work and there were enough weapons on offense to post winning seasons. They just didn't develop kids and let the culture go to s***. I'm not sure what they did or didn't do to try to keep Robbie Frey in place, but that kid should not have been let out the door. They road a fly weight RB in McCombs as if we was a 230 LB workhorse. God only knows what that was about. Every time a defensive lineman farted that kid was on the ground.

Reaction Score
Nebrich had a season ending injury early of the third game of the 2012 season against Cornell. P wasted the most talent of any UConn head football coach in the last fifty years.
Yes, he did get injured, but Ryan Higgins was the starter even before Nebrich got hurt.

Reaction Score
They had an NFL defense with which to work and there were enough weapons on offense to post winning seasons. They just didn't develop kids and let the culture go to s***. I'm not sure what they did or didn't do to try to keep Robbie Frey in place, but that kid should not have been let out the door. They road a fly weight RB in McCombs as if we was a 230 LB workhorse. God only knows what that was about. Every time a defensive lineman farted that kid was on the ground.
This. He had a defense that could win the Big East. The offense, frankly, had only been mediocre the year before, and the offense was mostly about Jordan Todman. Tailback was a string of terrible luck. Robbie Frey leaving when Edsall left, Meme Wylie breaking his leg and not coming back for a fifth year, and Shumate just not working out. And to be fair to McCombs, he was adequate. The problem (besides coaching) was at QB. You can show me as many statistics as you want, Johnny McEntee was not Zach Frazer. Was Nebrich more ready for the 2011 season than McEntee? Let's be honest -- none of us know.

But part of P's problem, which cost us the opening game at VAndy, was his inability to accept that he was going to have to win by playing great D and special teams and just keep the offense from losing a game. And thus, we let the offense lose us a Vanderbilt game that the D and special teams had well under control. If he just didn't screw opening day up, every reason to think we at least went to a bowl in '11 and maybe things would have been better from there.

Reaction Score
Yes, he did get injured, but Ryan Higgins was the starter even before Nebrich got hurt.
Yes he was and Nebrich was already a productive player by his second game. More than Higgans. I just think P gave up on him because of style which probably would have helped as the OL began to degrade.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You could have 6 NFL players on your team, if the other 80 suck then you aren't winning. This has been hyperbole.

We had a DT that could eat up 3 OL and still couldn't get pressure. Who's fault is that? Everyone's.

Reaction Score
The first thing out of Mora's mouth that I haven't really liked.

It's one thing to hold them accountable like NFL players for things you can do for any team at any level- meetings, film, time management, etc.

But in terms of skill, strength and conditioning Mora has inherited something closer to FCS than NFL and trying to treat them like a finished product rather than extreme developmental players can go astray.

You take issue with that? I think kids like hearing that. And that might be the football experience and lifestyle he is selling.

Reaction Score
I wish McCummings got a fair shot and not just obvious wildcat packages where everyone including Stevie Wonder knew he was running the ball.
After watching the previous year spring game, I thought McCummings was our best option at quarterback. All the quarterbacks struggled to throw behind an offensive line that was already starting to show some cracks. Little did we know how bad the offensive line would become in the next few years. McCummings was far and away the best running quarterback that day. Coach P stubbornly stuck to his plan to install a prostyle offense even though he did not have the offensive line or the quarterback to run that offense. In my humble opinion, if Coach P stuck with a college style offense with one of his dual option quarterbacks at the helm, Uconn would have had a couple 7-5 years and made a lower level bowl each year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
In fairness to ASU they have exactly nine commits in their class. You better be beating that or its time to fold up the tents.
You can't even let us have this one? Geez, Herm fan?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
xxssw.jpg

Reaction Score
It’s amazing that after all the years, all the HCs, all the players, folks still like to discuss Ps decision to go with a YouTube sensation at qb.

FWIW, P recruited well, even at the qb position - see Boyle and Lagow. He sucked at development and communication, so we saw almost nothing from them.
Cochran also.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Quick listen > talks about incoming class, transfers (Fitzgerald, Barboza, Guidone, McDuffie, etc.), QB Room and Victor Rosa.

For those that dont get a chance to listen, Mora talks up how Victor Rosa did it all and had to do it all on his HS team and that he sees Rosa starting in the RB room, but more of a utility knife that will be looked at as an outside the tackles RB and slot WR. He sees Rosa creating mismatches.

Reaction Score
For those that dont get a chance to listen, Mora talks up how Victor Rosa did it all and had to do it all on his HS team and that he sees Rosa starting in the RB room, but more of a utility knife that will be looked at as an outside the tackles RB and slot WR. He sees Rosa creating mismatches.
Rosa is going to be used like Robbie Frey or Nick Williams. He's gonna get the ball in his hands because he makes plays happen. I think he's listed as RB just because WR is stacked right now.

Reaction Score
Rosa is going to be used like Robbie Frey or Nick Williams. He's gonna get the ball in his hands because he makes plays happen. I think he's listed as RB just because WR is stacked right now.
I think Nick is the better comparison. Maybe even a Deshon Foxx.

Listening to Mora, it’s like he understands the crayola crayons box was expanded from 8 to 64, and even comes with a sharpener. (Sorry for dates analogy)

Reaction Score
It is always fun to look back at what Pasqualoni had on the roster in his 1st year at the helm.

Sio Moore, Blidi, Gratz, Byron Jones, Andrew Adams, Nick Williams, Smallwood, Trev Williams, Shamar Stephen, Geremy Davis, Ryan Griffin and Kendall Reyes.

They lost Todman and Frazer and tried to replace them with McEntee and Lyle McCombs. The big loss was Endres at QB. The starting spot was his.
McCombs did rush for 1,000 yards that season so he was a nice surprise. It’s too bad Enders couldn’t stay off the drugs.

Reaction Score
You can show me as many statistics as you want, Johnny McEntee was not Zach Frazer.
You’re right. McEntee was better. Excluding the QBs who were on the roster in 2021, Zach Frazer is probably the worst starting QB we’ve had since 2007 with the possible exception of Tim Boyle who was underdeveloped and just not ready.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Yeah, too bad about Cody. He was definitely a talented QB. Living in TX since '96, though, the only time I saw him play in person was in Waco vs. Baylor in 2009. My family and I were part of maybe 300 UConn fans in the corner of the end zone, along with a couple dozen great Army/Nat'l Guard fans from CT, probably stationed at nearby Ft. Hood. Cody, Andre and Jordan just carved up Baylor and Art Briles in front of 50k stunned fans that afternoon. One of my best UConn FB memories.

Reaction Score
You’re right. McEntee was better. Excluding the QBs who were on the roster in 2021, Zach Frazer is probably the worst starting QB we’ve had since 2007 with the possible exception of Tim Boyle who was underdeveloped and just not ready.
Wait, what? Zach? You can’t find a worse starter since?

Reaction Score
McCombs did rush for 1,000 yards that season so he was a nice surprise. It’s too bad Enders couldn’t stay off the drugs.
The guy liked cannabis what’s the big deal? especially now that it is legal in CT. Imagine the same for the BB team and they wouldn’t have enough players to play.

Reaction Score
The guy liked cannabis what’s the big deal? especially now that it is legal in CT. Imagine the same for the BB team and they wouldn’t have enough players to play.
Wasn’t it amphetamines that he got in trouble for? Likely adderall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom