UConn football cancelled | The Boneyard

UConn football cancelled

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Just saw this on national news. Hope this does not translate to WBB.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Not surprised. P5 schools limiting the schedules to in-conference games only was the big blow.

College basketball may still be in danger.

Reaction Score
Not a good sign...I think they'll move WCBB (all college sports? )to the Spring.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not a good sign...I think they'll move WCBB (all college sports? )to the Spring.
The big east already said conference only games. Not sure all the P5 conferences have followed suit, but it makes sense that the start of the season will try to be in January.

Players will be really antsy. Almost every season, they start practices early in the season, and by the time games against other teams come around, player comments all echo "great to be playing in a structured game against others than our teammates".

Now if practices start on time, but games don't start till January, it will be a VERY long boring road for the players. I imagine they would do simulated games - either amongst themselves, with almost no benches, or against the male practice players. Or maybe play exhibition games against other local teams who have all tested negative - Sacred Heart, Quinnipeac, etc...

Reaction Score
Wondering if Covid issues will cause the lower tier of D1 football schools to eventually cancel the sport entirely or in UConn's case, move back to D2.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
What is the financial effect of this decision on the UConn Athletic Department's overall budget? I just heard an NBC reporter saying that the lost revenue from football would create additional financial problems for other sports. However, I always thought that UConn football lost money every year, which makes me think that this might actually benefit the other programs -- and may even have been a factor in the decision to cancel the football season.

Reaction Score
I'm actually pretty hopeful for basketball this year. A new testing tactic out of Harvard School of Public Health using $1-$2 at-home, self-tests is starting to gain ground. Seven states announced yesterday that they are going this route. Spit onto a paper strip every day, results in 10-20 minutes. Test positive? Stay home and work with the doc and coaches on next steps.

Our current "nasal swap" testing method is 100x more costly, and takes 3-4 days for results. (Unless testing capacity is overloaded, then it could be a week or more.) It's a more sensitive test but in a young healthy person, the turnaround time is pretty much the entire infectious period. You've missed the chance to stop the spread of the disease.

So why didn't we do this earlier? New science. We now have data on the viral loads required to infect others. And it turns out that the very folks found by the cheap tests are the ones who are currently infectious. An explanation of the test and the science behind it, if you are interested in the nitty gritty.

I know I'm coloring outside the lines of BY policy here, and I hope I don't get banned for this post. To me this testing tactic is possibly the best covid-19 news EVER, and I finally feel hopeful for a return to normalcy. But it's up to the moderators. Go Huskies!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This has pretty big implications, especially considering no one on the team has tested positive. So, will UConn (& perhaps a few other football teams) be a minority? What impacts does it have on other UConn team sports - Does this mean its more likely other UConn team sports will cancel as well? What does this mean for Azzi's decision?

Reaction Score
The big east already said conference only games. Not sure all the P5 conferences have followed suit, but it makes sense that the start of the season will try to be in January.

Players will be really antsy. Almost every season, they start practices early in the season, and by the time games against other teams come around, player comments all echo "great to be playing in a structured game against others than our teammates".

Now if practices start on time, but games don't start till January, it will be a VERY long boring road for the players. I imagine they would do simulated games - either amongst themselves, with almost no benches, or against the male practice players. Or maybe play exhibition games against other local teams who have all tested negative - Sacred Heart, Quinnipeac, etc...
The Big East is doing conference only schedules for the winter sports like basketball too? I thought that was just for fall sports since they didn't need to make any decisions on winter sports for another few months?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not a good year to be a CFB independent, unless you’re ND and the ACC is more than willing to add the Irish to their league schedule in exchange for some of the millions in broadcast revenue that ND could offer.

UConn FB was already down to 8 games, with more cancellations likely. I feel terrible for the players, but pulling the plug early makes a lot of sense.

Reaction Score
I'm actually pretty hopeful for basketball this year. A new testing tactic out of Harvard School of Public Health using $1-$2 at-home, self-tests is starting to gain ground. Seven states announced yesterday that they are going this route. Spit onto a paper strip every day, results in 10-20 minutes. Test positive? Stay home and work with the doc and coaches on next steps.

Our current "nasal swap" testing method is 100x more costly, and takes 3-4 days for results. (Unless testing capacity is overloaded, then it could be a week or more.) It's a more sensitive test but in a young healthy person, the turnaround time is pretty much the entire infectious period. You've missed the chance to stop the spread of the disease.

So why didn't we do this earlier? New science. We now have data on the viral loads required to infect others. And it turns out that the very folks found by the cheap tests are the ones who are currently infectious. An explanation of the test and the science behind it, if you are interested in the nitty gritty.

I know I'm coloring outside the lines of BY policy here, and I hope I don't get banned for this post. To me this testing tactic is possibly the best covid-19 news EVER, and I finally feel hopeful for a return to normalcy. But it's up to the moderators. Go Huskies!
That first link does not reference a spit test

Reaction Score
That first link does not reference a spit test
Antigen tests can be implemented differently depending on the manufacturer. The first seven states are going with the uncomfortable, more expensive nasal swab variant, but both are testing for antigens. I don't know why (have fun sticking a swab up your kid's nose before school each day :eek:). The paper spit tests are effective for at-home "am I infectious today?" testing and cheaper/less technical to produce en masse.

Reaction Score
Wondering if Covid issues will cause the lower tier of D1 football schools to eventually cancel the sport entirely or in UConn's case, move back to D2.

Not allowed under NCAA rules to move back to D2. However could move to FCS and join Villanova in the CAA. I doubt that will happen, but either way, football will be a massive money loser.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

I did the nasal swab last night at the VA emergency room and got the results back in less than an hour and a half. Tested negative again. VA has a policy that everyone has to be tested prior to being admitted. Since I was in the ER and may have had the possibility of being admitted, they tested me. I wasn't admitted, just given medicine to fight my bladder infection.

Reaction Score
I did the nasal swab last night at the VA emergency room and got the results back in less than an hour and a half. Tested negative again. VA has a policy that everyone has to be tested prior to being admitted. Since I was in the ER and may have had the possibility of being admitted, they tested me. I wasn't admitted, just given medicine to fight my bladder infection.
Yep, hospitals like the VA might process their own tests on site. But those drive up testing stations send the tests off to a lab. A college kid who has only mild symptom isn't likely to get tested in the hospital so they see the longer turnaround time.

I hope you're feeling better Sarge. Stay well, we need ya for the upcoming season. :)

Reaction Score

Funny how reality is a lot different than the prognosis of tests and covid crap from the all of the MD's on this thread. Spoiler alert: everyone will be astounded when a vaccine and antibody medicine will be available between October and November of this year.

And frankly, at least UConn will not have to post another losing season of football. But, that is another story.

Reaction Score
Kind of like Colorado football right
equally painful, though UConn would be an easy win for CU. I actually would prefer if CU wasted less money on football and put it into fielding a top softball program and beefing up women’s basketball. They can’t compete for attention with Denver Broncos 25 miles down the road.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Good luck in your most recent fight!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Yep, hospitals like the VA might process their own tests on site. But those drive up testing stations send the tests off to a lab. A college kid who has only mild symptom isn't likely to get tested in the hospital so they see the longer turnaround time.

I hope you're feeling better Sarge. Stay well, we need ya for the upcoming season. :)
I'm trying and I do hope that we have a season so I can do the Prognosticators Predictions Contest once again.:rolleyes:

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Thanks Bama, I'll try to stay around so that I can PO some of the mods every once in a while. :cool:
"every once in a while"? I think you underestimate yourself my friend! ;) Stay well and Go Huskies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom