UConn Football adding Noel Mazzone as an offensive analyst | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn Football adding Noel Mazzone as an offensive analyst

Reaction Score
Dude people are questioning the merits of a real OC coming in? Watch some replays of Purdue. The coaching is beyond horrific to the point of neglect. Guifre is clearly not preparing this offense for games and IMO should be fired... but who else do we have for an Oline coach? Moyseenko is calling the plays anyways. Things that stand out vs. Purdue....

- Players giving less than half effort. Rewatch the film... one example 1st quarter at around 13:29 with a critical first down play ... watch the effort Jay Rose (who has the potential to be a stud) gives on a critical blocking play and tell me they are not giving up .... and are taking pride in their play. Go back and seriously watch it...AWFUL.

- Karlafitis was clearly one of the biggest threats Uconn will face all year at DE. One of the top defenders in all of college football. Rewatching the film you will see that the staff allows freshman Lundt who has had problems in his early starts to go one on one on an island vs. Karlaftis over and over through out the game. At one point Karlaftis took on three of our players two online men plus Mensah and drove them back thats how good he is. There were plays where he went up against Van Demark who more than held his own which shows how good an Oline player he is. But why in the world is our staff allowing one on one plays with an NFL prospect vs. our Freshman unproven lineman? ... repeatedly ...Red flag

- 5:32 in the second quarter they allow Karlafitis one on one against Ludnt again on 3rd and 11. Krajewski tries to take a quick throw to Turner up the sideline. As soon as the ball is snapped Karlafitis blows by Ludnt tips the ball from behind and forces and incompletion. Running to the side line Karjewski is being yelled at by Moyseenko and Krajewski looks like he's signaling what do you expect me to do? Talk about setting your players up for failure and then knocking on them.

- 2nd quarter at 2:58 2nd and 8 with Karlafitis ... again one of the best defenders we will face is on the edge and our OC decides to run a play where they pull all three Van Demark, Jay Rose and Mensah leaving Karlaftis completely unmatched with an open one on one route to Krajewski. We are lucky Krajewski didnt get hurt on that play. But wait...

- Very next play 3rd and 8 now Karlafitis lines up on the edge now one on one with Ludnt .... we all know what happens.

Ton's of examples if you watch the Purdue film. Totally unprepared by the OC's with players either being soft or not buying in. Maybe Mazzone won't be the savior but hopefully he will bring a CHANCE at competency because the current play callers are under prepared and in way over their heads.
Hopefully we got a little harder in practice going fwd. That might be the issue... We'll find out against Army... Will pay close attention to the effort at the LOS when we're on offense....

Reaction Score
I sure hope so. That was the most fun play calling I have seen in... forever. With a couple more weeks of practice I could see us beating UMESS and maybe Yale.

Can't underestimate the loss of Cam Ross, he would have flourished under this new offense.

Reaction Score
So true, the irony of this thing is who was Guifre's OL coach when he play OL himself at Syracuse ? None other than George DeLeone, SMH ! Don't know how much can be corrected with this offense at this point, but if Mazzone can help simplify things so guys don't look clueless and blowing blocking assignments, which has happened over and over, it would be a start.

I remember a statement from maybe Jimmy Bennett regarding TJ Weist making it so much easier for the OL in his system when he took over from our last clueless OC from Cuse. DeLeone, whose" freeze option" ran Syracuse's and Uconn's offense into the ground until he was shown the door at both places.
Wow - Now it all makes sense, Guifre comes from the DeLeone OC tree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom