UConn Football 2020 National Signing Day/Press Conference Coverage (Feb. 5th) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Football 2020 National Signing Day/Press Conference Coverage (Feb. 5th)

Reaction Score
LT - Dykes doesn’t plan on bringing in as many as he did shortly after taking over from Chad Morris. Morris left him some gaping holes in the roster (QB, OL, DB) that he absolutely had to fill fast. Had Shane not started at QB, Dykes would have had to choose from a true sophomore, a true freshman coming off an ACL tear, and two walks on RS freshmen. As things normalize, he plans to use transfers to gap fill (injuries, transfers out, recruits don’t work out) on a more limited basis.

I would think you guys could have some success grabbing guys from the Northeast leaving ACC and B10 programs to look for PT.
I think any school would have taken the QB Buechelle, especially when you have a glaring hole at QB, but I have a different view of what Sykes is doing. I think he is trying to win fast and move on to his next gig so he is bringing in lots of transfers and JUCOs and he is not really focused on the condition of the roster 4 years down the road as he is not planning on being there. SMU did not used to recuit transfer/JUCOs and it is a risky strategy.

If the roster rules change, which they might, SMU will be fine, but the 25/85 roster restrictions make taking so many transfers and JUCOs a LT roster problem, especially if there is a coaching change. Here's the simple math:

Year 1: 15 transfers, 10 HS kids
Year 2: 10 transfers, 15 HS kids
Year 3: 10 transfers, 15 HS kids
Year 4: 10 transfers, 15 HS kids
Year 5: 10 transfers, 15 HS kids

Assume the transfers have 1.5 years of eligibilty and half the HS kids redshirt and you lose some HS kids to transfer/injury/academics per year.

Year 5 roster:
15 transfers
HS kids = 5 from year 1 (half RS) + 15 from year 2 + 15 from year 3, + 15 from year 4 + 15 from year 5 minus 12 kids lost over time (probably conservative) = 52

Total roster size at end of year 5 = 67. And, that number is probably a best case scenario and it could be much lower, especially if there is a coaching change.

Reaction Score
Edsall gave a very good description of the players Palatine. Speaking of toast I think you should stick your hand in the toaster and jump in the tub at the same time. Maybe the shock will help you with your glum personality!
Thanks for the death threat.

Yep, he did a good job describing the new guys. Go to the 20 minute mark and watch the guy. He sounds completely beaten.

Reaction Score
Hopefully RE brought in some kids who want to work and get better. Looking forward to the season and going to games at the Rent. The games were entertaining last season. Need to continue to build on last seasons progress.

Reaction Score
Hopefully RE brought in some kids who want to work and get better. Looking forward to the season and going to games at the Rent. The games were entertaining last season. Need to continue to build on last seasons progress.
If the games were entertaining last season you got no worries this year. Best hope for building on last year's progress is hope Umass doesn't get any better, our FCS cupcake is really a cupcake, and the sure fact that no more AAC losses are coming.

Reaction Score
anybody notice how thicker Omar Fortt look? Wonder if he's been working out with his brother Khari...

Reaction Score
anybody notice how thicker Omar Fortt look? Wonder if he's been working out with his brother Khari...
Spoke to Omar briefly and commented on his obvious great physical condition and he credited the training staff. I then made a remark joking like are they keeping your nose in the books too? He said Oh no they don't have to my mom has that covered!

We're you there?
I was last night and it didn't sound like your narrative at all.
Bill no attack but you have been around long enough to not get fished in by Pals power of negativity... ;)

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The one thing in talking to the different players there was how positive they all are in that they are going to win this upcoming season. They believe in themselves, which is all they can do. They are blocking out what negativity that is on the boards and what some outsiders are saying. It is all about what they are going to.

I think the best hire Coach Edsall made was Matt King. He is energy and positive all the time. He will be with the players as much or more than the coaching staff over the next few months and I think that is a good thing.

Reaction Score
The one thing in talking to the different players there was how positive they all are in that they are going to win this upcoming season. They believe in themselves, which is all they can do. They are blocking out what negativity that is on the boards and what some outsiders are saying. It is all about what they are going to.

I think the best hire Coach Edsall made was Matt King. He is energy and positive all the time. He will be with the players as much or more than the coaching staff over the next few months and I think that is a good thing.
Didn't the players think they were going to win last season also? Thought there were great vibes, finally had buy in by players so captains were appointed, had seasoned OL, young guys a year older, budding star at running back, plenty of quality QB options, NFL caliber DC, HCRE2.0 would now think winning was important, etc.
Just so I understand what you are saying, what does the quote "they are going to win this upcoming season." mean? Unless HCRE2.0 coaches an 0 for the season UConn will win at least 1 game. How many games does this quote mean, to me "win this upcoming season" would mean at least half the games, now even with some not so good teams on the schedule that would be quite the feat. I'm hoping you are right but I have 9 years of "hoping" and not much winning to show for it; just think, only Red Pants has gotten UConn into a bowl game since HCRE1.0 became HCREDreamJob1.0 and only 6 wins in the 3 years of HCRE2.0.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Didn't the players think they were going to win last season also? Thought there were great vibes, finally had buy in by players so captains were appointed, had seasoned OL, young guys a year older, budding star at running back, plenty of quality QB options, NFL caliber DC, HCRE2.0 would now think winning was important, etc.
Just so I understand what you are saying, what does the quote "they are going to win this upcoming season." mean? Unless HCRE2.0 coaches an 0 for the season UConn will win at least 1 game. How many games does this quote mean, to me "win this upcoming season" would mean at least half the games, now even with some not so good teams on the schedule that would be quite the feat. I'm hoping you are right but I have 9 years of "hoping" and not much winning to show for it; just think, only Red Pants has gotten UConn into a bowl game since HCRE1.0 became HCREDreamJob1.0 and only 6 wins in the 3 years of HCRE2.0.
Here is the alt version for fans not enthusiastic about the program. This version is designed to appeal to those determined to see nothing but doom.

So the players said they admit there is no chance for the upcoming season. Probably looking at 13 losses, yeah that’s right, one lose will be so bad it will count as two. This spring the plan is not to try. No training, no drills, no gym time. They don’t even have a play book. They spend a few hours a week helping Edsall with social media posts by faking workouts and running a few “plays”. To this day, Guifre has never developed more than two plays, the run play and a pass play. Spanos’ D will be another season of free form, no set strategy. There is talk of not playing any the November games. Edsall plans to retire after five more seasons of this do nothing but make aggravating quotes era finally comes to an end. Edsall also advised that you can skip the boneyard for at least another 1/2 decade, maybe forever.

Well there ya have it, what you wanted to hear from the presentation last night.

Reaction Score
I know RE and he was actually more energized than I have seen in a while.

Yup, there is plenty reason to expect improvement next year. When you look at each position the only areas we can expect a downgrade are Peart's and Coyle's position, everywhere else we should see an improvement or at minimum same level of play. The WR group has a chance to be outstanding and if Mensah improves over last year he has a chance to have the best RB season we have seen since Todman's last season. We might actually see legit D1 level defensive line play for the first time in forever and obviously the key to the season is the development of Jack Zergiotis and Steven Krajewski. Improved talent and depth combined with what should be an easier schedule should mean at min 4 wins with more wins possible if one of the QB's has a breakout season.

Last edited:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Only need that wasn’t taken care of was a new staff. Well it gives me something to look forward to - him, his son the whole lot of them get rid if them.

I simply do not like people who don’t own their failures and take zero accountability for performance. Randy “its not my fault” Edsall what a clown.

Makes me laugh Schiano is the keynote at the NY State hs football coaches convention the next two days. I’m interested to see if there is any UConn representation there, there hasn't been any meaningful presence in the past few years. Think of him what you will but Schiano has pulled some really good kids out of NY.

Relax, he's using the same podiums and helicopters he did in his first 68-67 campaign.

28-48 in a conference not even close to what he's gotten himself into now.

He's the exact same brand of retread we have. He just costs more because his old boss is a franchisee of a huge corporation while we're trying to get by with someone who agreed to work cheap if we'd take him back at our recently Independent shop.

I'm all in to play them every year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If the games were entertaining last season you got no worries this year. Best hope for building on last year's progress is hope Umass doesn't get any better, our FCS cupcake is really a cupcake, and the sure fact that no more AAC losses are coming.
We are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Things are starting to get better in Storrs, and that's a good thing.

Reaction Score
Here is the alt version for fans not enthusiastic about the program. This version is designed to appeal to those determined to see nothing but doom.

So the players said they admit there is no chance for the upcoming season. Probably looking at 13 losses, yeah that’s right, one lose will be so bad it will count as two. This spring the plan is not to try. No training, no drills, no gym time. They don’t even have a play book. They spend a few hours a week helping Edsall with social media posts by faking workouts and running a few “plays”. To this day, Guifre has never developed more than two plays, the run play and a pass play. Spanos’ D will be another season of free form, no set strategy. There is talk of not playing any the November games. Edsall plans to retire after five more seasons of this do nothing but make aggravating quotes era finally comes to an end. Edsall also advised that you can skip the boneyard for at least another 1/2 decade, maybe forever.

Well there ya have it, what you wanted to hear from the presentation last night.
Scaring thing is that results wouldn't be much different (2 more loses per year maximum since that is all that were won) if HCRE2.0 had done as you noted above the last 3 years. 6-30 and counting.
I'm sure HCRE2.0 and you discussed the upcoming season, how about you give the projected win total for 2020 from you & HCRE2.0's perspective assuming he can get the players to maintain their eye discipline and just execute.
When should UConn start negotiating a contract extension for HCRE2.0, don't want him to leave 2020 with only the one year remaining on his contract, might lose him to another team in need of a rebuild expert.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Scaring thing is that results wouldn't be much different (2 more loses per year maximum since that is all that were won) if HCRE2.0 had done as you noted above the last 3 years. 6-30 and counting.
I'm sure HCRE2.0 and you discussed the upcoming season, how about you give the projected win total for 2020 from you & HCRE2.0's perspective assuming he can get the players to maintain their eye discipline and just execute.
When should UConn start negotiating a contract extension for HCRE2.0, don't want him to leave 2020 with only the one year remaining on his contract, might lose him to another team in need of a rebuild expert.

The plan is to give him a 99 year extension, signed tomorrow. Once the extension is in place, you won't need to pay attention to the program anymore or support the kids. You'll be a free man.

Reaction Score
Having two QB's who have game experience with UConn and our OC going into the season is a huge plus and reason for optimism for the players and fans. It is a much different place to start from compared to last year when everything was new with our offense.

Reaction Score

It was concise and to the point!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom