UConn Football 2020 National Signing Day/Press Conference Coverage (Feb. 5th) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Football 2020 National Signing Day/Press Conference Coverage (Feb. 5th)

Reaction Score
He's got issues too. We need more DJ Morgans not less. God he's dense sometimes.
He cleaned up his comments though by mentioning that there are exceptions to his initial thought... So, in essence, we can still grab a few more DJ Morgans if the situation allows it...

Reaction Score
It sounds almost like no one here has heard Randy talk before. He almost never tells the media what he really is thinking. It is coach speak, cloak and dagger, etc.

He isn't in a position to not look at the portal. DJ Morgan was a play 2 year guy and they had some interaction with him. We needed an RB and Thompkins fit the bill. (PS, notice the guy he took minutes from transferred out). Michael Hinton burned RE as a 1 yr when we lost the scholarship as he flipped to Tulane. Bottom line, if you notice, RE is talking about building depth. 1 yr guys want to play right away and either be close to home or win. If there was a kid who could help and not block development, he would take him. But don't always take RE's stuff with the media at face value.
Good points, but here's a thought. Maybe, just maybe, our depth is better now.. It should/better be, which, in turn, changes the philosophy a bit. We still have a lot guys left who weathered the storm for the most part

Reaction Score
what is it with putterman? The guy seems intent on finding a negative angle to post. Exhausting.

Looking for clicks... buried the actual quote.

008.png

Reaction Score
In general, the problem with transfers (as rules are currently written) is that you get a one and done player or a kid that needs to sit a year to become eligible with less than 4 years of eligibility. With the 25/85 scholarship limits, you will run into roster number issues pretty quickly if you use the portal too much.

Think about this, if you took 10 grad transfers and 15 high school kids per year, by year 4, you might have a roster of about 60 to 70 kids with normal attrition. That is what kind of what happened at Kansas.

Exactly. In my son's situation, he is going to be a grad transfer from a D3 school to a D1 school next year. Despite posting better times than anyone on the current roster, he will be a walk-on. The coach doesn't want to use scholarships on runners that only have 1 year. Now if he turns up and something happens and a scholly is available, he will probably get it. But thankfully he doesn't need it. He needs to go to grad school anyway and being able to run is just a bonus.

Coach has a limited number of scholarships for XC/Track and has to use them wisely.

Reaction Score
It's his high school colors and it goes with his hat choice.
I don't have an issue with it. We've had red in our uniforms during championship season. HFD would tell Randy to send the kid to Rutgers if he wants to wear red.

Edit:

Wow...autocorrect to voldemort....:eek:

Reaction Score
He has taken guys from the portal to fill needs. But the down side is the guy from Miami. I’m sure he will take guys in the future too. I’m guessing to fill specific needs and with at least 2 years of eligibility mostly. But it won’t be a priority or the main way to land guys.

Reaction Score

Only need that wasn’t taken care of was a new staff. Well it gives me something to look forward to - him, his son the whole lot of them get rid if them.

I simply do not like people who don’t own their failures and take zero accountability for performance. Randy “its not my fault” Edsall what a clown.

Makes me laugh Schiano is the keynote at the NY State hs football coaches convention the next two days. I’m interested to see if there is any UConn representation there, there hasn't been any meaningful presence in the past few years. Think of him what you will but Schiano has pulled some really good kids out of NY.

Reaction Score
In general, the problem with transfers (as rules are currently written) is that you get a one and done player or a kid that needs to sit a year to become eligible with less than 4 years of eligibility. With the 25/85 scholarship limits, you will run into roster number issues pretty quickly if you use the portal too much.

That part of you statement is not entirely true. One of the positive externalities of the transfer rules is that kids are getting their degrees ASAP. Since most D1 players go to summer school, getting a degree in 3 academic years is very common at big programs.

For certain positions (particularly QB), any 4th year player who is not a starter or key contributor is expected to leave. Often they have been recruited over and the staff wants them to leave. With redshirts factored in, these kids can play immediately for 2 years.

Examples:
1) Shane Buechele lost his starting job at Texas after a new HC brought in a new offense. Shane will be my Mustangs qb for 2 years.
2) Kelly Bryant took Clemson to the CFB playoffs. Dabo brought in Trevor Lawrence to replace him. Bryant redshirted and will be a 2 year starter at Missouri.

The list goes on.

imho - UConn has a talent problem- particularly at the skill positions that could have been quickly improved by bringing in a few P5 guys looking for playing time. The fact Randy didn’/won’t do that indicated that you guys have the wrong coach again.

Watching UConn last year, I saw atrocious QB play. The guy you signed from Canada might be a good long term answer, but a smart coach would try to bring in a guy with some experience to start until he is ready to take the job.

Reaction Score
That part of you statement is not entirely true. One of the positive externalities of the transfer rules is that kids are getting their degrees ASAP. Since most D1 players go to summer school, getting a degree in 3 academic years is very common at big programs.

For certain positions (particularly QB), any 4th year player who is not a starter or key contributor is expected to leave. Often they have been recruited over and the staff wants them to leave. With redshirts factored in, these kids can play immediately for 2 years.

Examples:
1) Shane Buechele lost his starting job at Texas after a new HC brought in a new offense. Shane will be my Mustangs qb for 2 years.
2) Kelly Bryant took Clemson to the CFB playoffs. Dabo brought in Trevor Lawrence to replace him. Bryant redshirted and will be a 2 year starter at Missouri.

The list goes on.

imho - UConn has a talent problem- particularly at the skill positions that could have been quickly improved by bringing in a few P5 guys looking for playing time. The fact Randy didn’/won’t do that indicated that you guys have the wrong coach again.

Watching UConn last year, I saw atrocious QB play. The guy you signed from Canada might be a good long term answer, but a smart coach would try to bring in a guy with some experience to start until he is ready to take the job.

True about some kids having 2 years to play and are immediately eligible, but that is a small number of kids. If you look at schools like SMU, Houston, UCF, or USF, they can bring in top transfers who want to transfer closer to home. For UConn, there is not as many kids in that situation. The Edsall model is about having most kids redshirt and stick around for 5 years. Unfortunately, the state of the roster caused some true freshmen to play the past few years.

I would be careful about bringing in large numbers of transfers as SMU has done recently as you can run into severe roster problems down the road, especially if there is a coaching change, due to the 25/85 scholarship rules. Few schools are being as aggressive as SMU with transfers, but schools will watch closely to see if it is a good LT strategy.

Reaction Score
Keefe @ The Day: UConn adds five more to complete 2020 football recruiting class

Nice wrap-up: >>Here's a closer look at the five new members of the UConn football family:

• Tui Faumina-Brown — Four-year letterwinner at Gateway High School in Monroeville, Pa., earned all-state honors at linebacker and tight end. As a senior, he caught a team-best 45 passes for 587 and had nine touchdowns and racked up 45 tackles, three sacks, an interception and fumble recovery for WPIAL Class 5A title team. He also plays basketball.

Coach Randy Edsall: "He's going to play linebacker for us. Very athletic, very productive. A guy that is very versatile. The kind of guy that you like. ... Great family. I had a chance to watch him play basketball last week and you just see the athleticism."

• Devontae Houston — Running back out of Handley High School in Roanoke, Ala., piled up 2,819 all-purpose yards and 33 touchdowns as a senior. He made first team all-state and received the 2019 County Player of the Year from the Randolph Leader.

Edsall: "You just look at the productivity that he had last year. ... Very, very fast and quick. Got hurt his junior year. Played there as a freshman. That's a pretty good school down there, Handley HIgh School. ... Great kid. Can not only run the ball but also is a good receiver coming out of the backfield. Very, very fortunate to be able to land him."

• Durante Jones — Attends Mays High School in Atlanta, had an impressive 10 interceptions, 12 pass-breakups, two touchdowns and blocked three field goals during his senior season at defensive back. He earned all-state and all-city honors.

Edsall: "Very versatile. Could be a corner or safety. Probably going to look at him more as a safety. Tough, physical. A leader. He's a guy that has a mindset that he knows what he wants to accomplish and he's going to go about doing it. Really liked the way he played physically and liked his length. We're very happy that he decided to join the family."

• Tre Wortham — Defensive back out of Delta College in Stockton, Calif., had 44 tackles, 14 pass breakups, one interception and one fumble recovery last season on the junior college level. He was a three-time first team all-league pick at Bear Creek High School in Stockton. He graduated from junior college and is taking courses to become eligible at UConn. His junior college coach, Gary Barlow, was a college teammate of UConn defensive backs coach Darrell Perkins.

Edsall: "I was very impressed with him. I don't know if I've seen a guy in a long, long time get up and play with fundamentals and technique that the young man coming out of junior college plays with. He gets up and plays press coverage and plays physical."

• Remon Young — Offensive lineman attends Colquitt County High School in Norman Park, Ga., served as team captain and received All-State honorable mention. He also was an All-Region first and second team pick during his high school career. He's a member of the National Honor Society. Current Husky Steve Krajewski also went to CCHS.

Edsall: "He'll be a center for us. ... He's a guy that you watch on tape, at 6-foot-2, he doesn't have the length to be a tackle. So you look at his skill set and how he moves, there's a guy that I felt he'd go inside and be an outstanding center. So you bring him here, you redshirt him and you teach him."<<

Reaction Score
OMG. From the 20 minute mark on, Edsall sounds like he's toast. The body language the description of his life. It sounds awful.

Reaction Score
OMG. From the 20 minute mark on, Edsall sounds like he's toast. The body language the description of his life. It sounds awful.

Edsall gave a very good description of the players Palatine. Speaking of toast I think you should stick your hand in the toaster and jump in the tub at the same time. Maybe the shock will help you with your glum personality!

Reaction Score
True about some kids having 2 years to play and are immediately eligible, but that is a small number of kids. If you look at schools like SMU, Houston, UCF, or USF, they can bring in top transfers who want to transfer closer to home. For UConn, there is not as many kids in that situation. The Edsall model is about having most kids redshirt and stick around for 5 years. Unfortunately, the state of the roster caused some true freshmen to play the past few years.

I would be careful about bringing in large numbers of transfers as SMU has done recently as you can run into severe roster problems down the road, especially if there is a coaching change, due to the 25/85 scholarship rules. Few schools are being as aggressive as SMU with transfers, but schools will watch closely to see if it is a good LT strategy.

LT - Dykes doesn’t plan on bringing in as many as he did shortly after taking over from Chad Morris. Morris left him some gaping holes in the roster (QB, OL, DB) that he absolutely had to fill fast. Had Shane not started at QB, Dykes would have had to choose from a true sophomore, a true freshman coming off an ACL tear, and two walks on RS freshmen. As things normalize, he plans to use transfers to gap fill (injuries, transfers out, recruits don’t work out) on a more limited basis.

I would think you guys could have some success grabbing guys from the Northeast leaving ACC and B10 programs to look for PT.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
These quotes are fireable

No they're not.

I understand why he is doing what he is doing. He gets to develop the players if they are freshman and Juco's. He did say that quarterbacks are the only thing he would take for one year.
Last year they needed the players, now they are only short in on position unlike the past couple of years.

Reaction Score

This does not belong in this thread. Simply Pal being simple again. This video is not from the Feb 5th event posted by @huskymedic.

Reaction Score
LT - Dykes doesn’t plan on bringing in as many as he did shortly after taking over from Chad Morris. Morris left him some gaping holes in the roster (QB, OL, DB) that he absolutely had to fill fast. Had Shane not started at QB, Dykes would have had to choose from a true sophomore, a true freshman coming off an ACL tear, and two walks on RS freshmen. As things normalize, he plans to use transfers to gap fill (injuries, transfers out, recruits don’t work out) on a more limited basis.

I would think you guys could have some success grabbing guys from the Northeast leaving ACC and B10 programs to look for PT.
You must remember when UConn got stuck playing a walk on? Johnny McEntee. Back then, I don't think the portal was an active thing. But UConn used transfers at the QB more than once in Frazer and Lorenzen from JUCO. Pindell. Whitmer. Shireffs. G.Anderson. Beaudry.

When was the last time this program even recruited and developed a QB that played 2-4 years?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom