UConn focused on protecting Caroline Ducharme's future by Daniel Connolly 12/21/23 | The Boneyard

UConn focused on protecting Caroline Ducharme's future by Daniel Connolly 12/21/23

Reaction Score
“It’s just something that keeps reoccurring,” Auriemma said. “In the long term, it’s ‘What are we talking about here? Are we talking about basketball right now? Or are we talking about 10 years from now.’ I think you have to be real careful with this stuff. It's not worth winning a couple more games if you're going to put a kid's future in jeopardy. I'd rather not do that."

UConn focused on protecting Caroline Ducharme's future

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
As I have stated in similar threads...it is so unfortunate for Sweet Caroline that she has been hit on or near her head so many times in her Huskie career. The number of occurrences is just unbelievable considering the number of guards/wings that have a complete college career without once leaving a game with a suspected concussion.

I have had only 2 "most favorite" Huskies, Katie Lou and Caroline.

I am hoping that Caroline will someday return to the bench but know that the reality is that she may never be able to safely return.
I hope no one forgets about her and that we get future health updates, as long as she is a valued member of the UConn Huskies Family. :)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My fervent hope is that Caroline redshirts this year and doesn't even think about playing or practicing. I hope she's fully recovered by the summer and begins reintroducing basketball with baby steps.

I had multiple head injuries playing sports in high school. I know it's possible to fully recover, but also realize that everyone's different. I hope Caroline is able to fully recover sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
Haven't read the article yet. I kinda assumed no new info. In any event, I hope she takes her time. That's the thing about the off-season these days, it seems like there is no off-season. It seems she had some problems in late August on the trip, but then training camp and practice was still just 2 months later. Obviously its a unique injury and I'm far from a doctor (still traumatized a bit from struggling in AP chemistry like ions ago) but I'd like to see where she's at 6-8 months from now. No basketball, limited on-court work. It pains me to type that cuz she's one of my faves.

Reaction Score
I also believe that Caroline will not play again. It's a shame but her health is way more important than any game.
It’s a shame but after watching her all last season and if her head was glanced or hit slightly in any way the expression she had afterwards was painful to watch ..

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I hope she does play again, but only if approved by doctors. If not, I would like to see Geno keep her around to help with the younger players.

Reaction Score
As I have stated in similar threads...it is so unfortunate for Sweet Caroline that she has been hit on or near her head so many times in her Husky career. The number of occurrences is just unbelievable considering the number of guards/wings that have a complete college career without once leaving a game with a suspected concussion.

I have had only 2 "most favorite" Huskies, Katie Lou and Caroline.

I am hoping that Caroline will someday return to the bench but know that the reality is that she may never be able to safely return.
I hope no one forgets about her and that we get future health updates, as long as she is a valued member of the UConn Huskies Family. :)
I couldn't have said it better, and it's interesting that our two "most favorites" are the same. I do wish you would return Caroline's avatar. I always enjoyed seeing it and knowing it was your post.

Reaction Score
Even if Caroline gets back to 100% I would be worried about the potential cumulative effect of future of shots to the head. If anyone ever needed super expert medical advice, it's Caroline. Please be safe Caroline, it's a long life going forward.

Reaction Score
Based on the description (in her own words) of what she is going through, she has a long way to go before she should go anywhere near a basketball court. She may never get completely over the effects that she is experiencing right now.

My son quit sports completely after he suffered his concussion and he still has issues with bright lights, noise, and sleeping.

Reaction Score
If her issue is related to concussions then I would expect Caroline to protect her future health and not risk further injury playing basketball. I have had the misfortune of being around several players who have had different levels of severity with regard to concussions and I don't recall any of them showing signs of outward pain like Caroline did when she make minor contact. Maybe her injury isn't related to concussion and is something else that she could recover from 100%, I really hope it is.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Even if Caroline gets back to 100% I would be worried about the potential cumulative effect of future of shots to the head. If anyone ever needed super expert medical advice, it's Caroline. Please be safe Caroline, it's a long life going forward.
But on the other (extreme) hand, she could return to the game and not have another "shot to the head" ever. As I have previously posted, how many guards/wings have competed in college WBB without once leaving a game due to a shot to the head or other form of head trauma?
But as everyone agrees (I hope), her decision should be based upon the advice she receives from medical experts, coaches and family. Her future health must be the primary consideration!

Reaction Score
You guys remember her fresman year? That season left a lasting impression on me. For me she will always be Husky Royalty. Concussions are serious business, something you cannot ignore or take for granted. UCONN is doing the best thing for her by not attempting to play her at all. But we can all still dream of what it could have been with a healthy Caorline and Azzi! :)

Reaction Score
I did some boxing in the Corp in the 50's. The headaches have never gone completely away. If you have never experienced a concussion, consider yourself fortunate. Broken arms heal, colds go away, even measles, mumps and chicken pox fade away. Not so with injuries inside the head. I've said it before, basketball has to take a back seat for Caroline.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom