UConn Field Hockey 2018 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn Field Hockey 2018

Reaction Score
Nancy Stevens. The best coach in Storrs.

As I predicted Duke didn't even make the ACC final. Lost to Wake in the semis. But the committee has such a hard on for the ACC my guess is they still host.

Anyone have the stats on Duke, UConn, Princeton, and Harvard. Maryland and UNC locks to host. How will they pick the other 2?

Reaction Score
Duke - RPI 5, SOS 4, 9-5 against RPI Top 20 (lost to Prin)
Prin - RPI 3, SOS 1, 5-4 against RPI 20 (beat Duke & UConn, lost to Harv)
UCnn - RPI 4, SOS 9, 4-3 against RPI 20 (lost to Prin)
Harv - RPI 6, SOS 31, 2-1 against RPI 20 (beat Prin)

Reaction Score
Final prediction:

WM/Mia @ UNC (1)
Lou* v Michigan*
Rutgers* @ Duke* (4)
WakeF* v UConn​
Mon/BU @ Md (2)
Penn St* v Harvard​
Albany @ Princ (3)​
St Joes v Iowa*

* = at large
Virginia & Liberty made late runs but I dont think enough

Reaction Score
Duke - RPI 5, SOS 4, 9-5 against RPI Top 20 (lost to Prin)
Prin - RPI 3, SOS 1, 5-4 against RPI 20 (beat Duke & UConn, lost to Harv)
UCnn - RPI 4, SOS 9, 4-3 against RPI 20 (lost to Prin)
Harv - RPI 6, SOS 31, 2-1 against RPI 20 (beat Prin)

Princeton also has an early season loss to Rutgers. Maybe it will hurt them, maybe not.

Reaction Score
Nancy Stevens. The best coach in Storrs.

As I predicted Duke didn't even make the ACC final. Lost to Wake in the semis. But the committee has such a hard on for the ACC my guess is they still host.

Anyone have the stats on Duke, UConn, Princeton, and Harvard. Maryland and UNC locks to host. How will they pick the other 2?

Usually the ACC has a bunch of field hockey teams in the top 10 in either the RPI or in the weekly polls. This doesn't seem to be the case this season. Duke and North Carolina have consistently been in the top 5, but of the rest of the ACC teams only Syracuse cracks the top 10, coming in at No. 10 in the RPI. So in terms of depth the ACC doesn't seem as strong this season. Will it make a difference to the selection committee this time around?

Reaction Score
Final prediction:

WM/Mia @ UNC (1)
Lou* v Michigan*
Rutgers* @ Duke* (4)
WakeF* v UConn​
Mon/BU @ Md (2)
Penn St* v Harvard​
Albany @ Princ (3)​
St Joes v Iowa*

* = at large
Virginia & Liberty made late runs but I dont think enough

Nice call...

Top 4 Seeds:
  1. UNC
  2. Maryland
  3. Princeton
  4. Duke
UConn Field Hockey @UConnFHockey 1 minute ago
JUST IN: The Huskies will face Rutgers in the first round of the NCAA Tournament in College Park, Md.! #BleedBlue

Tournament Bracket

Started a separate thread for Tourney run... UConn and the 2018 NCAA Field Hockey Tournament

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
So, UConn is likely the '5 seed' and get put into the 2nd seed's bracket. The ACC is the gift that keeps on giving.

Looks like UConn ended up essentially as the seventh seed. I thought they would get rewarded for not losing any top teams other than North Carolina, Maryland, and Princeton, while other teams had loses to teams below that level. Well, I was wrong.

Reaction Score
Geography plays a role in placement, which is part of the role why they only seed the top 4 teams.

I know in D3 basketball the NCAA has a 500-mile cutoff -- they will pay for flights for any team that has to travel more than that, so for the sake of costs there's a strong incentive to keep teams within that radius.

Just 3 teams are outside that -- Michigan, Iowa, and the Mia/BU winner going to NC.

Reaction Score
Geography plays a role in placement, which is part of the role why they only seed the top 4 teams.

I know in D3 basketball the NCAA has a 500-mile cutoff -- they will pay for flights for any team that has to travel more than that, so for the sake of costs there's a strong incentive to keep teams within that radius.

Just 3 teams are outside that -- Michigan, Iowa, and the Mia/BU winner going to NC.

Duke was 15-5 and 6-3 on the road, including a loss to Princeton in NJ. Princeton is 13-4, which is a better record that Duke and while loses to Rutgers and Harvard do not help, they beat Duke. UConn is the defending champs and is 18-3, lost to the same teams as Duke (Princeton, Maryland, UNC) but also did equal of better than Duke with other mutual opponents (Liberty, Old Dominion, Syracuse). Thus, Princeton should be the 3 seed and UConn the 4 seed. But, clearly, wins and loses over other ACC opponents seem to matter more to the selection committee.

Would the following be fairer? It keeps the mileage down for the small school except for Miami OH, which is unavoidable, breaks-up the ACC, and puts the 4 seed (UConn) and the 5 seed (Duke) in the same pod.

Chapel Hill Bracket

#1 UNC v. w/o Miami OH v. William & Mary

Iowa v. Wake Forest
  • Mileage to Chapel Hill: Miami OH 500, W&M 200, Iowa 950, Wake Forest 75

College Park Bracket

#2 Maryland v. w/o Monmouth v. Boston U

Rutgers v. Michigan
  • Mileage to College Park: Monmouth 200, BU 450, Rutgers 200, Michigan 500

Princeton Bracket

#3 Princeton v. St. Joseph’s

Virginia v. Penn St.
  • Mileage to Princeton NJ: St. Joseph’s 50, UVA 300, Penn St. 250

Storrs Bracket

#4 UConn v. Albany

Duke v. Harvard
  • Mileage to Storrs: Albany 150, Duke 600, Harvard 100

Reaction Score
Duke was 15-5 and 6-3 on the road, including a loss to Princeton in NJ. Princeton is 13-4, which is a better record that Duke and while loses to Rutgers and Harvard do not help, they beat Duke. UConn is the defending champs and is 18-3, lost to the same teams as Duke (Princeton, Maryland, UNC) but also did equal of better than Duke with other mutual opponents (Liberty, Old Dominion, Syracuse). Thus, Princeton should be the 3 seed and UConn the 4 seed. But, clearly, wins and loses over other ACC opponents seem to matter more to the selection committee.

Would the following be fairer? It keeps the mileage down for the small school except for Miami OH, which is unavoidable, breaks-up the ACC, and puts the 4 seed (UConn) and the 5 seed (Duke) in the same pod.

Again, if they using the same criteria as D3, the key metric is 500 miles. 300 vs 400 is irrelevant. The current bracket has 3 teams beyond that, 2 of which (IA & MI) are unavoidable in any bracket this year.

As I showed above, Duke had a better record against the RPI 20 -- 9-5 vs 4-3.

Reaction Score
Lots of close opening round games!

Princeton d UVA 2-1
Duke d Miami 1-0

And
UNC d W&Mary 4-0

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads