UConn Fans: Take Time to Enjoy This | The Boneyard

UConn Fans: Take Time to Enjoy This

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In just a few days UConn WBB will take the court in Tampa in pursuit of their 12th National Championship. As Geno and others have pointed out, this team is not one of those dominant UConn teams where the only question was, “How much would they win by?” We fans will all be on the edge of our seats, suffering from anxiety, and even fear, at the thought of our beloved Huskies in one, and hopefully two games against formidable opponents.

Before we get to that point, I want to call on UConn fans everywhere to take time to enjoy this incredible achievement of 12 straight FF’s. Of all the many accomplishments of UConn WBB, the 12 straight FF’s is the most noteworthy achievement imo. No other UConn record so clearly represents the sustained level of excellence that UConn has achieved and maintained through 12 straight graduating classes, changing conference affiliations, coaching staff changes, and so on.

After a difficult victory over UCLA on Friday, Geno addressed UConn’s then current streak of 11 FF’s by indicating that what the Huskies had achieved was “impossible!” Women’s basketball is becoming more and more competitive with many more outstanding players and coaches. He went on to indicate that no team will ever do this again. I absolutely agree with that conclusion.

So before our hopes and fears rise and fall every time Pheesa catches a post entry pass or Lou fires up a shot from the arc, step back from the abyss and take time to truly appreciate 12 straight FF’s, a record that will never be surpassed….unless the Huskies make it back to the FF again next year…and the year after that…and the year after that…

Reaction Score
I think the ND game is at best a coin flip for UConn - and if they win that Oregon is another coin flip and Baylor is worse than a coin flip.

But I don't care - I am pleased as heck to see them make the FF, after more ups and downs than most UConn FF teams. As far as I'm concerned, everything from here on out is gravy. Just happy I'm seeing this group (esp. the seniors) for one or two more games.

Reaction Score
I think the ND game is at best a coin flip for UConn - and if they win that Oregon is another coin flip and Baylor is worse than a coin flip.

But I don't care - I am pleased as heck to see them make the FF, after more ups and downs than most UConn FF teams. As far as I'm concerned, everything from here on out is gravy. Just happy I'm seeing this group (esp. the seniors) for one or two more games.

you stole my thunder.......................at the beginning of the season I figured if this team could reach the Final Four it would be a great accomplishment.......................now if they can defeat a stacked ND team for a second time in a season it will be remarkable.....................I can't even fathom the idea of an NC after stronger UConn teams failed the past couple of years but I sure would be thrilled to experience it!!!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
In just a few days UConn WBB will take the court in Tampa in pursuit of their 12th National Championship. As Geno and others have pointed out, this team is not one of those dominant UConn teams where the only question was, “How much would they win by?” We fans will all be on the edge of our seats, suffering from anxiety, and even fear, at the thought of our beloved Huskies in one, and hopefully two games against formidable opponents.

Before we get to that point, I want to call on UConn fans everywhere to take time to enjoy this incredible achievement of 12 straight FF’s. Of all the many accomplishments of UConn WBB, the 12 straight FF’s is the most noteworthy achievement imo. No other UConn record so clearly represents the sustained level of excellence that UConn has achieved and maintained through 12 straight graduating classes, changing conference affiliations, coaching staff changes, and so on.

After a difficult victory over UCLA on Friday, Geno addressed UConn’s then current streak of 11 FF’s by indicating that what the Huskies had achieved was “impossible!” Women’s basketball is becoming more and more competitive with many more outstanding players and coaches. He went on to indicate that no team will ever do this again. I absolutely agree with that conclusion.

So before our hopes and fears rise and fall every time Pheesa catches a post entry pass or Lou fires up a shot from the arc, step back from the abyss and take time to truly appreciate 12 straight FF’s, a record that will never be surpassed….unless the Huskies make it back to the FF again next year…and the year after that…and the year after that…
Copying the post to like it again

Reaction Score

Same here. I expected an elite eight this season with an outside shot at the final four. In my mind they are playing with house money at this point which is crazy to view such a talent laden team in that way, but it's been a rollercoaster season replacing a couple of top five WNBA draft picks and three first rounders overall with young players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Amen and amen. I have been thinking along those lines, too. The "sustained level of excellence" that this program has achieved in its pursuit of perfection is a testament to all involved, at every level. And the fact that the Huskies reached the Final Four again this year, when so many more teams are capable, speaks volumes.

And I truly believe that the UCONN Women's Basketball Program has played a crucial role in growing the game to the point where we see it today, and in its continued growth. I'm just a fan, with no real part in making that happen, but it makes me so very happy.

I am proud to support this team.

Reaction Score

I agree with all. As usual well stated.
I'd add: This year started as a potential disaster. ONLY 5 players at that time and only 3 with prior Div experience. 2 novices, 1 of which was a brand new Frosh. The idea then was this 5 would play 40 minutes each and every game. Hopefully ONO could help a minute or 2. A terrible scenario for any team. Huge win against ND put a Frosh on the world stage. Soon a loss, gracious me Uconn can actually lose? It is WRONG these 5 will all be walking wounded by the years end, how does Geno get them relief? He doesn't.
Another loss, then AAC teams take Uconn to the wire the kids get beaten physically--terrible basketball. Uconn certainly can't get by the Sweet16, forget the Elite 8. Katie Lou injures her back--the season just ended! No recruits will want to come to Uconn not after losing the Sweet 16. Doomed. The dynasty has ended.
Geno wearing his 16 rabbits hat, with a damage Katie Lou, created a miracle and won the Sweet 16. The kids stood tall and produced with the leading scorer in the NCAA, Napheesa Collier, she led the way. The Elite 8, a certain loss, Katie Lou, Collier, Danger, Walker, CW and ONO excelled beyond our most wonderful beliefs.
How did this all happen? GENO, GENO, GENO. This is his time of the year. He stopped pushing buttons and motivated 6 kids to be all they can be and beyond. Credit the kids but REAL credit belongs to GENO. If it all ends this week, it was an unbelievable ride.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When you combine UConn’s 12th straight FF with the wonderful news last night out of Eden Prairie, MN, UConn fans should be ecstatic, and frankly it’s fairly clear that the two events are interrelated.

After a tremendous performance by UConn over Louisville, Lou made the “closing argument” to Paige in her post game interview on ESPN, when she stated how incredibly proud she was to have the name UConn across her chest. I suspect Paige hung on every single word, and the next day announced her decision.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom